PDA

View Full Version : Fiero?

skitzo_inc
08-04-2009, 06:55 PM
I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but here goes...

I've always wanted a Fiero. Guy who lives down the street from me is selling his. 1986 6 cylinder 4 speed, red with black top (put a different roof on it, this one has a HUGE moonroof), just replaced the clutch, flywheel, rebuilt transmission. New head gasket and valve cover gasket. Only has 60xxx miles. Are these cars massive problems? I know about the oil fires, but that problem has been fixed as well. (My dad helped him replace the stuff needed, don't recall what it was right now)
He wants 2100 for it, but he wants it gone. I'm sure he'll take about 1k. Anyone think it's worth it? I've always wanted a two seater manual. Huge moonroof is a plus in my book. I know they are fun to drive (drove my dads GT a few times)

Thanks!

BF/STOCKER SPIRIT
08-04-2009, 07:08 PM
HEY!!!! PAUL SKITZO DUDE, Hows everthing, I geuss the FIERO, can be a pretty fun
reliable toy, I drove a, friends GT, and It wasn't a LAMBO, but it was a fun, decent car,
Should check the cooling system,and the water tubes ,from the radator, to the motor.
ITs pretty clean buy it! maybe for $1200 , ok joking

take care JIMMY

turbovanmanČ
08-04-2009, 07:19 PM
We've covered these a few times here, search around and you'll find links to guys putting 3.8 SC engines in.

Most of the bugs have been worked out so your ok there, they are darty due to the mixed and matched suspension but still not bad. So if all that's been done, I'd say go for it, then down the road, put a 3.8 in it. Oh, I hate the 4 speed, find a 5 speed to put in.

BF/STOCKER SPIRIT
08-04-2009, 07:22 PM
Hmmmmmmm 3.8 , ya must boogie

black86glhs
08-04-2009, 07:26 PM
As long as it runs OK, should be a decent ride. I agree, 5 speeds are better.

turbovanmanČ
08-04-2009, 07:38 PM
Video of a 3.8SC Fiero.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21124&highlight=fiero

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17459&highlight=fiero

I found your old thread too Skitzo about your dad having 2 of them, lol.

Aries_Turbo
08-04-2009, 08:21 PM
i had a 88 2.5L 5-speed with konis. I loved it. the 88 suspension was def better than the 84-87 but that setup isnt that bad. needs a rear bump steer correction.... basically that tie rod in the back needs connected to the frame at a better location.

my 88 had stainless coolant tubes. i dunno about the earlier years.

id love to get another one someday. put a 2.4L turbo chrysler powerplant in there. :)

Brian

jory
08-04-2009, 08:22 PM
the later year suspensions got improvements, what was it 87-88. I had a fiero for a while, 85 with the 2.5 and a 5 speed. It needed too much work than I wanted to fix at the time but it was a fun car to drive until the clutch arm broke.

skitzo_inc
08-04-2009, 08:35 PM
I think I'm gonna go talk to him some more about it. I would keep the v6 for now, just drive it. Park the neon for a bit. I don't think I'll be able to come up with 1K anytime soon, but I'll see if he wants an xbox and some cash. :P

Vigo
08-04-2009, 09:01 PM
but I'll see if he wants an xbox and some cash. :P

Work out a payment plan :)

Ive done that with some people over the years.

turbovanmanČ
08-04-2009, 09:14 PM
i had a 88 2.5L 5-speed with konis. I loved it. the 88 suspension was def better than the 84-87 but that setup isnt that bad. needs a rear bump steer correction.... basically that tie rod in the back needs connected to the frame at a better location.

my 88 had stainless coolant tubes. i dunno about the earlier years.

id love to get another one someday. put a 2.4L turbo chrysler powerplant in there. :)

Brian

88 was a huge difference, it didn't dance all over the road and go nuts over railway tracks. Shitty part was, they canned it for 89, WTF? :mad:

black86glhs
08-04-2009, 09:18 PM
BTW Paul, the engine fires were the early 4 cyl models, not the V6. I think they have a kit out for the bumpsteer issue.

turbovanmanČ
08-05-2009, 03:02 AM
BTW Paul, the engine fires were the early 4 cyl models, not the V6. I think they have a kit out for the bumpsteer issue.

V6 too, and they had a issue with breaking off the exhaust manifold bolts-I had to fix them in the car, :(

Good old google-

Bumpsteer kit (http://www.kitcarmag.com/howto/pontiac_fiero_rear_bumpsteer_kit/index.html)

Marcus86GLHS
08-05-2009, 05:16 AM
Fiero? now there's a car that you dont see anymore......make sure you carry several fire extinguishers w/ you.

back in the 80's, it was so much fun beating up on Fieros on the street w/ GLH-T's and Daytonas.

skitzo_inc
08-05-2009, 09:33 AM
I'm gonna go talk to him tonight about it. I reallllly want this car, it's clean! I'll take some pictures of it tonight.

Turbodave
08-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Had a friend with an 86 2.5-auto and 85 V6-auto, both were pretty slow but fun to drive. I hated working on them. The 2.5 car caught fire on the side of the highway and burned to the ground (it was always leaking oil). The V6 car had issues and developed a rod knock so we pulled the engine and started prepping a 350 to go into it before he lost interest in the project (he bought a corvette). I think they are neat cars, but pretty heavy for their size, and no fun to work on.

1FastCSX289
08-05-2009, 10:41 AM
My room mate in college had an 86 with the 2.8 and the stick......I think 4 speed. That car was fun....handled really well for what it was. For a grand, sounds like a fun little ride.

skitzo_inc
08-05-2009, 11:21 AM
I know my dad's cars handled very well. He got rid of the first one because he had back surgery and it hurt to get in and out of the car. Then five years later he bought another one and found the same problem, haha. I drove the 85 GT he had a few times, v6 4 speed. Car was pretty quick, and I love the hatchbacks with the fold over spoiler. He still has a full tail light piece that has not been broken. (Those are hard to find!)
I'm in the process of moving, so I don't know if I'll be able to pick this one up. But I'll check it out with him. He said he wanted a turbo car, but I'm not sure I'm ready to dispose of my Charger just yet.

black86glhs
08-05-2009, 07:50 PM
V6 too, and they had a issue with breaking off the exhaust manifold bolts-I had to fix them in the car, :(

Good old google-

Bumpsteer kit (http://www.kitcarmag.com/howto/pontiac_fiero_rear_bumpsteer_kit/index.html)Yes, but so very few V6s, it really isn't worth mentioning and all of the 1984 L4s. A small number of 85s, but almost as small as the 84 V6s.
Don't forget about the headbolt breakage on the 2.5s.

cordes
08-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Take the money you would have spent on the fiero and put it into the charger. You will be happier in the long run.

turbovanmanČ
08-05-2009, 08:22 PM
Yes, but so very few V6s, it really isn't worth mentioning and all of the 1984 L4s. A small number of 85s, but almost as small as the 84 V6s.
Don't forget about the headbolt breakage on the 2.5s.

Yeah, we had a box from GM, the KIT, after a few, we had it down to a science. As for the head bolt, lol, back them off one by one and replace with updated ones, retightening to a new spec. :eyebrows:

One tech damaged the return fuel line o-ring, V6 and it caught fire outside his bay, :wow1: :lol: Did alot of damage, :(

WickedShelby88
08-05-2009, 09:06 PM
I know a guy out in Shelbyville Indiana who has more fieros than most guys here have TM's. Wish I could get you in touch with him if you get really interested. I believe the oversize moonroof is a factory unit. There were even targa tops or t-tops I think. My favorite style is the 87-88 formula. They had the best of everything. Some of them also had 5 speeds with the getrag gearsets like the 555 has. Those are the best to do a 3.8 swap in I would think. My friend put a 350 in one of the many fieros he had also. Since this one has low miles it should be a good one as long as no one has monkeyed with it. You ALWAYS put all the shields and things back where you found them. More fiero problems seem to stem from hack repairs. I'd get it if I were you. Best handling car you can get for the money. They have a huge following and used to be easier to get parts for than a TM. Not sure now.

black86glhs
08-05-2009, 09:21 PM
yeah, we had a box from gm, the kit, after a few, we had it down to a science. As for the head bolt, lol, back them off one by one and replace with updated ones, retightening to a new spec. :eyebrows:

One tech damaged the return fuel line o-ring, v6 and it caught fire outside his bay, :wow1: :lol: Did alot of damage, :(ouch!!!!

black86glhs
08-05-2009, 09:24 PM
I know a guy out in Shelbyville Indiana who has more fieros than most guys here have TM's. Wish I could get you in touch with him if you get really interested. I believe the oversize moonroof is a factory unit. There were even targa tops or t-tops I think. My favorite style is the 87-88 formula. They had the best of everything. Some of them also had 5 speeds with the getrag gearsets like the 555 has. Those are the best to do a 3.8 swap in I would think. My friend put a 350 in one of the many fieros he had also. Since this one has low miles it should be a good one as long as no one has monkeyed with it. You ALWAYS put all the shields and things back where you found them. More fiero problems seem to stem from hack repairs. I'd get it if I were you. Best handling car you can get for the money. They have a huge following and used to be easier to get parts for than a TM. Not sure now.
Speaking of 3.8s, I need to talk to Bradp about any 2 dr Citations in his area or that he knows about.
Anyway, the mileage isn't as bad on these as some think. The stick is even better, even the 4 speed.

skitzo_inc
08-06-2009, 12:17 PM
I decided to pass. I have the money to get it (I would be FLAT broke) and I have no job where I'm moving to yet. Figure it to be a bad idea, I need food and cigarettes and gas more than a new car. I'll keep my eye out for them, though. :(

fuzz's84Daytona
08-11-2009, 12:08 PM
There is a place down here in Alabama that's called The Fiero Factory that puts in 3.4 Camaro and 4.9 Cadillac engine conversions in them. They have over 100 Fiero's there and do some really good work, I know I gave them one free about 4 yrs. ago and did a conversion on it and it screams now. Fiero Factory (http://www.thefierofactory.com/)

Fuzz