PDA

View Full Version : Alternator Grounding Question

Dusty_Duster
08-04-2009, 12:32 PM
I'm installing a grounding kit that I got from FWD Performance, and I've got it all hooked up except for one terminal. (It's already made an unbelievable difference in starting, idle quality, and smoother power delivery.)

The last terminal I have to connect is supposed to ground the alternator to the engine block. The instructions that came with the kit say:

Now attach the small end of the 25 inch piece of wire to the alternator. One possible connection point is one of the bolts that holds the alternator cables. (NOTE: Do NOT attach this wire to the positive terminal or the control terminals of the alternator!!)

Which bolt on the alternator should I use? (I couldn't figure out what bolt the instruction was referring to.) Could I simply connect this to one of the bolts on the alternator/AC bracket?

cordes
08-04-2009, 12:49 PM
I think they are talking about the ears on the alternator which are there for the grounds.

turbovanmanČ
08-04-2009, 01:31 PM
If you have a Nippo alt, there are about 3-5 little studs with 8/10 mm nut's, you can use one of those.

Dusty_Duster
08-04-2009, 01:33 PM
If you have a Nippo alt, there are about 3-5 little studs with 8/10 mm nut's, you can use one of those.

Are you talking about the little bolts that hold the dust cover on?

turbovanmanČ
08-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Are you talking about the little bolts that hold the dust cover on?

Yep, they will work just fine.

Dusty_Duster
08-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Yep, they will work just fine.

Awesome. That makes it bloody easy, doesn't it? :D

moparfwdsleeper
08-10-2009, 02:09 PM
Awesome. That makes it bloody easy, doesn't it? :D

Get a pic of it for future referrence:nod:

minigts
08-10-2009, 03:29 PM

Ditto. I'd like to see where you did it. I may add one to my alternator.

Dusty_Duster
08-10-2009, 06:08 PM

The freaking bolt is stripped and won't come off. I'll have to figure something else out now. :mad:

JDAWG
08-10-2009, 07:44 PM
anything on the case shoould work, even a mounting bolt, just make sure to do it before the rubber bushing so its touching the case itself, thats the whole point of it, our cars hace a crappy alt ground thru that little bolt and rubber bushings

turbovanmanČ
08-10-2009, 07:46 PM
The freaking bolt is stripped and won't come off. I'll have to figure something else out now. :mad:

Use one of the other 2 that are left over, ;)

JDAWG
08-11-2009, 03:46 PM
since you are doing the grounds might as well finish off the charging system and do the alt to battery. Use 4 gauge or bigger. I used 1/0 on my daytona. Does it have a bigger batt to ground wire in the kit? This is what the audio guys call the 'big 3' . Alt to batt, batt to frame, block to frame, all bigger. My daytona idles at 14.6 with everything in the car on. Then you can toss that cap of yours.

minigts
08-11-2009, 05:07 PM
Use one of the other 2 that are left over, ;)

I used the one that holds the field wires on at the top of the alternator, 10mm. Is that a sufficient ground spot for the alternator?

turbovanmanČ
08-11-2009, 07:09 PM
I used the one that holds the field wires on at the top of the alternator, 10mm. Is that a sufficient ground spot for the alternator?

Yeah, you can use that too.

Dusty_Duster
08-11-2009, 08:58 PM
since you are doing the grounds might as well finish off the charging system and do the alt to battery. Use 4 gauge or bigger. I used 1/0 on my daytona. Does it have a bigger batt to ground wire in the kit? This is what the audio guys call the 'big 3' . Alt to batt, batt to frame, block to frame, all bigger. My daytona idles at 14.6 with everything in the car on. Then you can toss that cap of yours.

I haven't had a cap in years! It shorted out a while ago. I'm not too concerned with loud systems anymore. I'm planning on removing the subs from the hatchback, actually. They'll go in the Ram instead.

Then I'd like to move the Duster's battery to the trunk using the existing amp wiring to make room in the engine bay.

Dusty_Duster
08-11-2009, 08:59 PM

Can you post up a pic of the bolt you're referring to?

minigts
08-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Can you post up a pic of the bolt you're referring to?

Negative.

minigts
08-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Sike! Just a minute. Ok, here are a couple of pics. It's the stud where the field wire bundle is bolted to.

Dusty_Duster
08-12-2009, 08:05 AM
Sike! Just a minute. Ok, here are a couple of pics. It's the stud where the field wire bundle is bolted to.

Awesome. I think I'll use that bolt. Thanks for the pics. :thumb:

JDAWG
08-12-2009, 04:48 PM
If you need help just lmk. Get a AGM battery so you dont really have to mess with all the battery box/fumes. Battery one in town sells a Deka Intimidator group 34 I think for $130.

Dusty_Duster
08-14-2009, 06:32 PM

Friggin' A, that bolt doesn't exist on my alternator!

I have a different alternator on my engine; it has fan blades on the pulley.

cordes
08-14-2009, 11:27 PM
You should still have something on there remarkably similar.