PDA

View Full Version : stupid question about socket/chip

Juggy
07-31-2009, 10:47 AM
k i got a socketed board to throw in the car.

i was told the chip has to be installed the same way the socket is. with the indents matching each other.

well usually the indent is facing towards the inside of board. this one was soldered the other way around?

so i was wondering which way do i install the chip?? follow the usual directions? or put it in backwards?

GLHNSLHT2
07-31-2009, 12:05 PM
if you get it backwards and fire up the car it'll fry the chip.

tryingbe
07-31-2009, 12:05 PM
Usual direction.

The person solder didn't pay much attention.

Juggy
07-31-2009, 12:10 PM
ok cool thanks guys. this is the only chip i have :lol:

i thought i would put it in normally, disregarding the way the socket was placed. just had to make sure!!!

cordes
07-31-2009, 12:52 PM
That's right, the socket can go in either way and not effect anything. However the chip must be oriented in the proper direction for it to work. The SBECs will ruin the chip if it goes in the wrong way, but the LMs and SMECs won't.

Juggy
07-31-2009, 01:18 PM
That's right, the socket can go in either way and not effect anything. However the chip must be oriented in the proper direction for it to work. The SBECs will ruin the chip if it goes in the wrong way, but the LMs and SMECs won't.

good 2 know. its a SMEC :nod:

turbovanmanČ
07-31-2009, 03:01 PM

Wow, I didn't know that, :(

GLHNSLHT2
07-31-2009, 05:04 PM
not true, I fried 2 chips in my LM putting them in backwards.

cordes
07-31-2009, 05:27 PM
not true, I fried 2 chips in my LM putting them in backwards.

That's interesting. I didn't even understand that you could put them in backwards when I first started out, and I've put a bunch of them in backwards in the dark since. Are you using 27SF512s?

roachjuice
07-31-2009, 07:19 PM
That's interesting. I didn't even understand that you could put them in backwards when I first started out, and I've put a bunch of them in backwards in the dark since. Are you using 27SF512s?

ive put them in backwards. seemed to not affect ----. but it didn't start or prime. lol.