PDA

View Full Version : SBEC-II turbo options

janus
07-31-2009, 07:22 AM
Hey guys,

i've been searching through different forums, google entries and other info source for too much time already and i can't seem to find any useful answers.. so i figured i'll just throw a thread on here to get some infos from you knowledgeable folks :thumb: i just want a point to collect some info about this awkward ecm nobody seems to like.

my question basically is what can one like me do on his own to tune a SBEC-II?
can these be socketed?
what programmes can be used?
what about those 3D tables?
which units are factory flashable?
is it still using batch-fire MPFI?
is swapping over to SBEC a good option?
just a bunch of questions off top my head, but there's more to come. so yes, lots of questions waiting here so just get all those tidbits of info coming :)

thanks for anyone participating here, any and all comments and hints are appreciated!

greetz
janus

(just trying to give other fellow sufferers a chance with these search tags)
sbec, sbec 2, sbec2, sbec-2, sbec ii, sbecii, sbec-ii

Juggy
07-31-2009, 10:39 AM
SBEC II lol

what can i say. not much cause i know very little. just that the sbec II boards can only be flashed, not socketed (from what i heard) and that there are VERY FEW people, that can actually reprogram and change these.

you really need 2 know someone to get it done ;) if I had a guess, TU will be the 1st company to offer custom sbec II computers thanks to their new calibrator.

cordes
07-31-2009, 01:17 PM
It wouldn't be too hard to go to an SBEC. You will need to swap a couple of pins around, but it's not that bad from what I've heard.

crazymadbastard
07-31-2009, 05:38 PM
fwdperformance can socket and calibrate them. I have heard it is easy to switch to sbec, get a 91 ecu and switch a few pins around- you would lose cruise control though.

janus
08-01-2009, 07:04 AM
yeah fwd-p is actually offering 92 cals but i'd rather do my own... imho there's no way to get a speed density's VE tables close enough without actual on-car tuning (at least that's what i experienced so far). i'd just feel much more comfortable with a custom cal and also prefer the diy-factor.

switching to sbec would be a pretty good option concerning the calibration code itself, but i would hate to lose ccd bus and other body electronic functions (doors etc?). anyone know if somebody on here did who this swap? FWIW, i also read about running dual SBECS (I for engine control, II for body lol) which is imho a bit freaked out but if it's the only option that meets all my critera, oh well..

so let's sum this up here..
my question basically is what can one like me do on his own to tune a SBEC-II?
not much.. vendor cal, dual sbec's, sbec-i conversion, aftermarket engine management system.. anything else?

can these be socketed?
yes, by fwd-p. had anyone done this or (think they) know which eproms cindy is using?
also, isn't socketing pretty useless if you still can't edit the cal data yourself...?

what programmes can be used?
any info here? what about d-cal, zchem(2?) and the like..

what about those 3D tables?
i once found some info by d-cal derek about those 3D tables but can't seem to find it now... hope i can dig it up later today. this is what rob (shelgame) has to say about these:

The SBEC-II is different, it uses 3D maps (like the T3). The problem with them is in the way Chrysler encoded the inputs. The X and Y inputs are in scaled MAP or RPM units. You have to find the scaling table first to understand the 3D. The nice thing is, Chrysler put in a single value for the A/F ratio (well, actually 2 - 1 for P/T and 1 for WOT). So, if you want to lean it out, you just need to change a single value. If you change injectors, though, that's a different story. The A/F only affects the P/T and WOT fueling. Not starting fuel. Anyway, Derek on D-Cal has pretty much dis-assembled the SBEC-II code. You guys should ask him about it over on the 3.0 list or on D-Cal. All it really takes is a 3.0 guy willing to try. I can help you understand the code and what it does as you go. You figure out if it's the right thing to do for your car.
do we know of any 3.0 guys who have already done this?

which units are factory flashable?
needs a drb-ii (-iii) to do this, right? what about the eprom address latch?

is it still using batch-fire MPFI?
?

is swapping over to SBEC a good option?
see above

thanks so far, i'll try to compile some more info in here... feel free to chime in :)

crazymadbastard
08-01-2009, 11:00 AM
here is thread wth pinouts for 91 92 :
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f21/171927-92-t1-sbecii-pinouts-conversion-91-a.html

janus
08-15-2009, 08:23 AM
bump :) anyone sharing new ideas, hints, infos or experiences on these SBEC-II options is welcome.

thanks for the link crazymad. here (http://hhscott.com/93tmv/SBEC_Conn.htm) is a page of a guy explaining his dual SBEC setup for those interested.

Mario
08-15-2009, 11:10 AM
If you'd like an SBEC II cal I can get you in contact with a gentleman who can do them.

crazymadbastard
08-15-2009, 11:13 AM
that is a good reference, the thing that may help me is that the ground for the
charge air temp shoud go to pin #4, mine is grounded to the engine and I get some funky
numbers for teh air temp.

janus
08-20-2009, 07:35 AM
okay thanks for the input. i sent mario a pm and will post any good info i find here.
does anyone know if/how an SBEC-II bin can be opened in d-cal?

turbo_III
08-21-2009, 03:24 AM
Just want to subscribe as I'm looking for answers as well:)

turbo_III
08-29-2009, 12:23 AM
okay thanks for the input. i sent mario a pm and will post any good info i find here.
does anyone know if/how an SBEC-II bin can be opened in d-cal?

Well I just downloaded the stock '92 R/T cal and it can be opened in d-cal, appears that alot of data is not complete yet though, also not really sure what You can do with the 3d tables either...adds more to the need to learn list:D