PDA

View Full Version : Two separate problems...

85_600
05-04-2006, 07:53 PM
I didn't want to post this just yet due to me wanting to focus on my minor rebuild and T2 conversion but I just saw a post about something similar:

Prob#1: My "back up" lights don't work. That's it. Easy one. Any ideas?

Prob#2: Harder to explain but I'll try.

My tail lights seem to not be in sync when I have the brake applied and turning. I hope this simple diagram works on here. The diagram shows the two bulbs, then the license plate, then the other two bulbs. This is what they are doing:

Stopped - no turn = ON ON - Plate - ON ON

Stopped - turning = ON OFF - Plate - ON ON
".................... " = OFF ON - Plate - ON ON
"....................." = ON OFF - Plate - ON ON

This would be looking at the rear of my 85 600, with me turning LEFT. See how it alternates?

I'm more intereste in solving problem #1 first, since that's probably much easier.

Thanks!
Paul

5sp. mini
05-04-2006, 09:30 PM
frist check the lamps and make sure they are the right one for that car. second the trans switch for the back up lights are on the front of the trans with the neutal safety switch. if you can,t find them i will be home allll day sat and sunday doing the durango and you can get that other stuff if you want AL

Charger R/T
05-06-2006, 09:34 AM
Your diagrams are hard to understand. Are you saying when you have the turn signals off the brake lights work correct but when you have the brake lights on and a turn signal on one of your lights goes off? If so it sounds like you have no ground in the rear lights this also can be a reason for no reverse lights. Use a test light with the ground clip hooked to a good ground on the body not the light and check the terminals in the base of the lights sockets for power when the lights are on. I think most car rear lights have there grounds all hooked together and make just one maybe two connections to the body. So it is possible to loose that ground and all goes screwy. Also using a jumper wire from the body to one of the grounds at a light socket can help determine if this is the problem.
Tim

butchsuppe
05-06-2006, 02:09 PM
Good idea to replace your bulb sockets + check your grounds, MAKE Sure the grounds are good. I had similars problem + this was the fix

cordes
05-06-2006, 07:32 PM
+1 for checking the bulb sockets, especially the ground there.

85_600
05-08-2006, 05:32 PM
Your diagrams are hard to understand. Are you saying when you have the turn signals off the brake lights work correct but when you have the brake lights on and a turn signal on one of your lights goes off? If so it sounds like you have no ground in the rear lights this also can be a reason for no reverse lights. Use a test light with the ground clip hooked to a good ground on the body not the light and check the terminals in the base of the lights sockets for power when the lights are on. I think most car rear lights have there grounds all hooked together and make just one maybe two connections to the body. So it is possible to loose that ground and all goes screwy. Also using a jumper wire from the body to one of the grounds at a light socket can help determine if this is the problem.
Tim

Yea, I thought the diagram would be kinda hard to figure out...I may be able to take some video of it this Wed. That would explain it alot better.

So, just check out the grounds and such? I know the bulbs work, they just work alternately of each other...I'll try to get the video.

At least the backup light problem sound easy to fix. :o

Charger R/T
05-20-2006, 10:41 AM
Yea, I thought the diagram would be kinda hard to figure out...I may be able to take some video of it this Wed. That would explain it alot better.

So, just check out the grounds and such? I know the bulbs work, they just work alternately of each other...I'll try to get the video.

At least the backup light problem sound easy to fix. :o

I've been out of town for a while so it was hard to check this thread. Have you fixed this yet? The alternating is a bad ground. If the parking lights are on and they alternate. They should be insync with the parking lights off. If you don't know which side is bad you can do 2 things to figure out which side has the problem. With the parking lights on and the flashers going one side should be going bright dim bright dim. The bad side will be going on off on off. Sometimes it hard to see this so if you have a friend get him in the front and say ON each time the front flashes on. The side in the rear that is off when he says on is the side with the bad ground.
Tim