PDA

View Full Version : Mobil 1 reproduction plaques, interest?

LaserXT1986
07-29-2009, 05:27 PM
TM community,

After seeing some interest in the for sale threads, I am looking to see if there is interest in doing Mobil 1 reproduction plaques.

For starters, I would need a few things if this becomes a "go". I would need:

1.) Actual size of all versions (there were multiple versions, correct?). I would prefer to measure this myself with an original (see #3) to make it as exact as possible.

2.) If the versions had square or round corners.

3.) An original of each style to work with (will be returned).

Once I get this, I can offer "custom versions" for any vehicle (including adding your numbered car's number, for example).

This is where I would like some input. The originals were screen printed onto a piece of metal. Getting the metal is no problem (see pictures below). But the screen printing will not make sense unless there are at least (100) of each design, since there are 3 colors (and thus, 3 screens needed). I can also make a digitally printed decal onto clear vinyl, and mount it onto the metal, trimmed. Since most clear vinyl is "glossy", I would go the route of using a matte clear vinyl, to allow the metal to show and not be "overpowered" by a glossy vinyl. In my opinion, this would look "show quality", and also allow me to make them in small batches to accommodate custom requests as well as the original ones. They would also come with micro-thin 3M VHB taped backs for mounting.

So, what do you think? Is this something that is wanted? What would you be willing to pay? I know what my raw costs would be, just wondering what the demand is. I saw one recently go on Ebay for almost $9, that was about 40% missing the information (i.e., worn out).

If I get enough positive feedback, I will setup a second thread where payment in advance (along with the type you want) can be arranged. This would only be once all 3 of the above items are acquired and I am ready to actually "make them".

Below is the 2 types of metal I can offer, one is more "brushed" than the other...to those that have them, which is closer to the original? (note: the brushed looks MORE brushed than the picture, I will take pictures of the actual pieces later on).

Feedback?

midnighttoker
07-29-2009, 06:00 PM
any shelby oil cap reproduction?

LaserXT1986
07-29-2009, 06:15 PM
any shelby oil cap reproduction?

no, sorry.

mcsvt
07-29-2009, 07:15 PM
TPJ still has a bunch, maybe he'll let you use one as your example?

badandy
07-29-2009, 07:42 PM
I'd be up for 1 or 2 :thumb:

iTurbo
07-29-2009, 07:53 PM
I'd take one maybe two. Mine is kinda messed up..

http://www.turbosedan.com/shelby/shelby371/DSC02138.JPG

1984rampage
07-29-2009, 08:08 PM
Id take 1

zin
07-29-2009, 08:33 PM
Assuming the price is right, as in not out of line, I'd be down for two of the 86, and 87 GLHS versions.

Mike

rich tideswell
07-29-2009, 08:55 PM
TPJ still has a bunch, maybe he'll let you use one as your example?

Who/ what is TPJ?

rich tideswell
07-29-2009, 08:59 PM
TM community,

After seeing some interest in the for sale threads, I am looking to see if there is interest in doing Mobil 1 reproduction plaques.

For starters, I would need a few things if this becomes a "go". I would need:

1.) Actual size of all versions (there were multiple versions, correct?). I would prefer to measure this myself with an original (see #3) to make it as exact as possible.

2.) If the versions had square or round corners.

3.) An original of each style to work with (will be returned).

Once I get this, I can offer "custom versions" for any vehicle (including adding your numbered car's number, for example).

This is where I would like some input. The originals were screen printed onto a piece of metal. Getting the metal is no problem (see pictures below). But the screen printing will not make sense unless there are at least (100) of each design, since there are 3 colors (and thus, 3 screens needed). I can also make a digitally printed decal onto clear vinyl, and mount it onto the metal, trimmed. Since most clear vinyl is "glossy", I would go the route of using a matte clear vinyl, to allow the metal to show and not be "overpowered" by a glossy vinyl. In my opinion, this would look "show quality", and also allow me to make them in small batches to accommodate custom requests as well as the original ones. They would also come with micro-thin 3M VHB taped backs for mounting.

So, what do you think? Is this something that is wanted? What would you be willing to pay? I know what my raw costs would be, just wondering what the demand is. I saw one recently go on Ebay for almost $9, that was about 40% missing the information (i.e., worn out).

If I get enough positive feedback, I will setup a second thread where payment in advance (along with the type you want) can be arranged. This would only be once all 3 of the above items are acquired and I am ready to actually "make them".

Below is the 2 types of metal I can offer, one is more "brushed" than the other...to those that have them, which is closer to the original? (note: the brushed looks MORE brushed than the picture, I will take pictures of the actual pieces later on).

Feedback?

The decal although not 100% concours, is better than nothing if you aren't going to screen print. Could be interested in a custom one for my SRT-4 ACR, so I say go for it.

Also, not many people on here have these, but the Commemorative Edition SRT-4's number plaques where a screen print design onto metal, any way you could reproduce that as well in either decal or screen print?

sdac guy
07-29-2009, 09:20 PM
Who/ what is TPJ?He is a guy that enjoys his anonymity. He is not on this board (or any that I know of).

Occasionally he breaks out a few of them and brings them to events.

Barry

jaysshelby
07-29-2009, 09:57 PM
I too, would be interested in a few custom ones.

DC Turismo
07-29-2009, 11:42 PM
I'd be interested in a couple custom ones.

GLHNSLHT2
07-29-2009, 11:57 PM
Where were these mounted? I thought I've seen some mounted on the Valve covers? If so would the vinyl sticker hold up to the heat?

Twisted Noodle
07-30-2009, 01:35 AM
I'll need one.. somewhere along the line my Shelby Lancer had one applied that says GLHS.

neonsox
07-30-2009, 08:59 AM
I'll take one.

contraption22
07-30-2009, 09:37 AM
Can you make one that says Royal Purple?

banshee X
07-30-2009, 09:39 AM
4 for me depending on price. all 87 glhs.

iTurbo
07-30-2009, 09:54 AM
I'll need one.. somewhere along the line my Shelby Lancer had one applied that says GLHS.

Interesting. When I bought SL #127 back in '99 it also had a plaque for a GLHS.

contraption22
07-30-2009, 10:12 AM
Interesting. When I bought SL #127 back in '99 it also had a plaque for a GLHS.

Perhaps it was a mistake made at the Shelby facility?

ShelbyTC16v
07-30-2009, 10:54 AM
Perhaps it was a mistake made at the Shelby facility?

That could very well be. Maybe it was intentional? Maybe Lancer ones weren't ready yet so they put GLHS ones on instead. Wouldn't be the first time a stunt like that was pulled at the Whittier plant. ;)

mcglsr2
07-30-2009, 12:04 PM
i will take one for an 87 CSX. this is what mine currently looks like: :p
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l248/mcglsr2/Shelby/Engine%20Bay/mobil1plaque.jpg

sooo i will take whatever you make, decal or other. :) i don't even know what was on this plaque originally. did they have the car number for the 87 CSXs?

Twisted Noodle
07-31-2009, 12:59 AM
That could very well be. Maybe it was intentional? Maybe Lancer ones weren't ready yet so they put GLHS ones on instead. Wouldn't be the first time a stunt like that was pulled at the Whittier plant. ;)

So maybe ours are even more Rare!!!!?? lol Wow now it's going on Ebay.. See if I can beat the price of GLHS #707 (currently at 9,200 and not at reserve)

87glhs
07-31-2009, 03:33 AM
If price is reasonable I'd take 3 or 4 for the '87 GLHS

"Top Fuel" Bender
07-31-2009, 06:01 AM
Can you make one that says Royal Purple?

NICE :thumb: gotta rock the boat a bit
how about an ELF oil plaque while were at it

LaserXT1986
07-31-2009, 09:30 AM
Ok it seems like there is a decent reply. I will first contact TPJ to find out (or rather, make sure) I am not stepping on his toes.

As far as custom ones with different oil brands, that's fine too. Except for Mike Marra, that filthy Italian and his slow Contraption. His will be magic marker on aluminum foil, scotch-taped to his car (:p)

For those that asked, the vinyl won't be in direct contact with the heat and should be able to hold up. 3M told me a long time ago that direct vinyl application wouldn't last on a valve cover, yet I have seen it done many times. This would be mounted to a piece of anodized aluminum so I am confident it would hold up.

If I go through with this, what do you feel is a fair price to pay? And how much of a discount would you like to see if you order multiple sets (of the same kind, that is)? Be reasonable an honest, don't expect to get it for $1 and don't think I am charging $50 either (I feel a Billy Mays sound clip coming on lol).

87glhs
07-31-2009, 10:22 AM
Don't know what your expenses are to make them--beyond that, it's whatever the market thinks is fair. Apparently OEM "NOS" plaques for the '86 were being sold at the SDAC this year for $10e. Are you able to come close to this price--say $10-$15e for an OEM, and maybe $15-$18 for a custom tag?

Let me know if this sounds out of line--too high, too low?

ShelbyTC16v
07-31-2009, 11:45 AM
Dave, just make sure you copy an original to make it look as original as possible. The custom one I posted in the other thread does not line up exactly like an original.

LaserXT1986
07-31-2009, 11:56 AM
Dave, just make sure you copy an original to make it look as original as possible. The custom one I posted in the other thread does not line up exactly like an original.

If I did these it would be *exact*. Much like my turbo decals (in the vendor section), you could take those and line them up over the originals and it is EXACTLY the same. I would do the same thing here.

However.....a TM member has told me that the gentleman (code name TPJ) has recently been down on his luck and as a result may start to sell off some items he has, including NOS Mobil 1 plaques. Even though I haven't talked to him yet, he is a friend and the last thing I want to do is take his chance away to get back on his feet selling these, esp. with me trying to offer repros' of an item he still has in NOS form. It just wouldn't be right.

Once I talk to him, I think, given his blessing, I will use one of his NOS ones to make a "master" in my system, that can then be customized for the cars that did not offer it, or for "one off" examples not available from the factory.

In other words, I will only offer a custom one, not a reproduction of any factory original ones he has to offer.

Keep checking back for updates, and thanks for your support!!

mcglsr2
07-31-2009, 02:56 PM
In other words, I will only offer a custom one, not a reproduction of any factory original ones he has to offer.

if this is the case, how do we go about possibly purchasing from this gentleman?

LaserXT1986
07-31-2009, 03:12 PM
if this is the case, how do we go about possibly purchasing from this gentleman?

I would rather not give that information out, as Barry has already stated, he likes to stay anonymous.

I would suggest PM'ing Barry, to see if there is a way to get ahold of him.

sdac guy
07-31-2009, 03:48 PM
I am willing to act as middle man in this as Dave said.

SDAC was offering these for him on a very limited basis a year or so ago, but it was not advertised. The deal then was that it would be a fund raiser for SDAC also with SDAC tacking on $5 to the price of each one.

The problem at that time was that he was traveling quite a bit for his job and wasn't responsive to my email or phone messages. I suspect that problem has been solved now.

But, I do know he doesn't have any Mobil 1 plaques for the 87 Charger GLHS. He usually sells the 86 GLHS plaques to those wishing one. What many folks don't know is that the 86 GLHS plaques are actually correct for 87 also as over 200 87 Charger GLHS left Whittier with 86 GLHS plaques attached as the 87 order had not arrived in time when production started (the Charger GLHS was not a planned vehicle for 87, it was done as sort of an after thought).

To my knowledge that is the only vehicle to leave Whittier with an incorrect plaque. So those that have commented in this thread that their Shelby Lancer has an 86 GLHS plaque, it was probably done by a previous owner.

You can PM me, but I prefer email messages as they are so much easier to store, sort, and keep track of. barryg1@sbcglobal.net

Barry

87glhs
07-31-2009, 04:20 PM
I have recent email from this gentleman (TPJ), and can confirm he does not have any '87 plaques.

He does however have the '86 GLHS plaques that are OEM NOS.

sdac guy
07-31-2009, 07:49 PM
I have recent email from this gentleman (TPJ), and can confirm he does not have any '87 plaques.
That is not entirely accurate. He does have 87 plaques for the CSX & Shelby Lancer.

Barry

ShelbyTC16v
07-31-2009, 09:15 PM
I am willing to act as middle man in this as Dave said.

SDAC was offering these for him on a very limited basis a year or so ago, but it was not advertised. The deal then was that it would be a fund raiser for SDAC also with SDAC tacking on $5 to the price of each one.

The problem at that time was that he was traveling quite a bit for his job and wasn't responsive to my email or phone messages. I suspect that problem has been solved now.

But, I do know he doesn't have any Mobil 1 plaques for the 87 Charger GLHS. He usually sells the 86 GLHS plaques to those wishing one. What many folks don't know is that the 86 GLHS plaques are actually correct for 87 also as over 200 87 Charger GLHS left Whittier with 86 GLHS plaques attached as the 87 order had not arrived in time when production started (the Charger GLHS was not a planned vehicle for 87, it was done as sort of an after thought).

To my knowledge that is the only vehicle to leave Whittier with an incorrect plaque. So those that have commented in this thread that their Shelby Lancer has an 86 GLHS plaque, it was probably done by a previous owner.

You can PM me, but I prefer email messages as they are so much easier to store, sort, and keep track of. barryg1@sbcglobal.net

Barry

So Barry, mine should most likely read SHELBY GLHS, not the CHARGER GLHS right?

1984rampage
07-31-2009, 10:16 PM
I want a royal purple custom plaque lol

mcglsr2
08-01-2009, 12:30 AM
That is not entirely accurate. He does have 87 plaques for the CSX & Shelby Lancer.

Barry

barry, email sent to you regarding an 87 CSX plaque.

DC Turismo
08-01-2009, 01:08 AM

Barry

I can attest what to Barry said as well. I spoke to him about this as of Carlisle.

In addition, I can also note that it's a crying shame what some of those eBay auctions that I've seen in the past go for involving these plaques, especially in some cases where I know the plaques were purchased from named individual as a favor and then turned for huge profit. :( As always, people will pay whatever for a piece they really want, it just stinks that at times generosity has been taken advantage of.

Dave, I'll take a couple custom ones when you are able to get them going! :amen: I'd be willing to do around $20 per custom one. Thanks a ton for stepping up and offering something neat like this. As always your ideas are cutting edge and I'm glad to see this thread going in a much more promising direction, i.e. people who are interested providing feedback and not vice versa if you know what I mean :p

At the same time Dave, I'd like to see SOMETHING on these plaques that will show they were not factory produced. I'd hate to see in ten years one of these fall into some owner's hands who claims they are original pieces produced by Shelby/Chrysler and having to go through a fifteen page thread of people arguing its validity. Even if its just a miniscule thing as one of the words (like Mobil 1 or name of model) being different colors like the repro Premium Fuel Only decals for the L-bodies are?

sdac guy
08-01-2009, 05:08 AM
So Barry, mine should most likely read SHELBY GLHS, not the CHARGER GLHS right?

From the vin listing, your car has the earliest ship date, so if that means anything, then the answer would be yes. But what we don't know is how many were built before they started being shipped and if they were shipped in build order. I suspect they were, but I don't know for certain.

What plaque does yours have?

Barry

contraption22
08-01-2009, 08:58 AM
At the same time Dave, I'd like to see SOMETHING on these plaques that will show they were not factory produced. I'd hate to see in ten years one of these fall into some owner's hands who claims they are original pieces produced by Shelby/Chrysler and having to go through a fifteen page thread of people arguing its validity. Even if its just a miniscule thing as one of the words (like Mobil 1 or name of model) being different colors like the repro Premium Fuel Only decals for the L-bodies are?

Look at the Year One catalog. Hundred of thousands of high quality reproduction items that would otherwise make a muscle car restoration incomplete.

If you're not gonna have a piece that looks like the original, why put one on at al?

87glhs
08-01-2009, 10:15 AM
My inquiry to TPJ was for the '87 GLHS plaque, which he indicated he had never seen any spares (NOS) for.

If he had plaques for other '87 Shelby models we did not discuss them, so I appreciate the info.

ALSO, regarding the early model/late model controversy, that interests me as well as my GLHS is numbered in the mid-200's and the tag was missing when I bought the car. I can see the adhesive mark where it was located--same size as my wife's. Wife's is numbered 6xx and had the "GLHS Charger" style.

Were both styles the same physical size? Be interesting to know where the cutoff was for that--

ShelbyTC16v
08-01-2009, 11:03 AM
My inquiry to TPJ was for the '87 GLHS plaque, which he indicated he had never seen any spares (NOS) for.

If he had plaques for other '87 Shelby models we did not discuss them, so I appreciate the info.

ALSO, regarding the early model/late model controversy, that interests me as well as my GLHS is numbered in the mid-200's and the tag was missing when I bought the car. I can see the adhesive mark where it was located--same size as my wife's. Wife's is numbered 6xx and had the "GLHS Charger" style.

Were both styles the same physical size? Be interesting to know where the cutoff was for that--

I don't think there was any sort of "numerical method" of shipping these cars to Whittier and no sort of "numerical order" of working on them either. But then again, VIN's don't line up with the Shelby #'s either. All 1000 are numerically lined with Shelby's plaque number, but the VIN's are not within a 1000 span. They are kinda all over the place. So in the end, I'm guessing of course, that when the first car was finished it was #2, next car that was finished was #3, and so on. If somebody with first hand knowledge or connection with a special somebody, please confirm or deny this method.
I'm also guessing the plaque method was the same as with the Shelby windshiel decal as well. Okay, now that I have thoroughly confused myself, I'll go now....

Barry, didn't have one.

sdac guy
08-01-2009, 12:24 PM
I don't think there was any sort of "numerical method" of shipping these cars to Whittier and no sort of "numerical order" of working on them either. But then again, VIN's don't line up with the Shelby #'s either. All 1000 are numerically lined with Shelby's plaque number, but the VIN's are not within a 1000 span. They are kinda all over the place. So in the end, I'm guessing of course, that when the first car was finished it was #2, next car that was finished was #3, and so on. If somebody with first hand knowledge or connection with a special somebody, please confirm or deny this method.
I'm also guessing the plaque method was the same as with the Shelby windshiel decal as well. Okay, now that I have thoroughly confused myself, I'll go now....

Barry, didn't have one.But your car was the first one shipped and the lowest #'d Shelby invoice for that model. So it would only make sense that it was one of the first couple hundred built. Also, knowing it went to Carroll's good friend, sort of backs up that it was an early build.

IIRC tpj told me it was the first 270 or so built that got 86 GLHS plaques. If I go down the VIN list in invoice and ship date order it is the first 272 or 273 that were invoiced and shipped in Oct of 1986. The rest being in November or later.

Barry

ShelbyTC16v
08-01-2009, 12:48 PM
But your car was the first one shipped and the lowest #'d Shelby invoice for that model. So it would only make sense that it was one of the first couple hundred built. Also, knowing it went to Carroll's good friend, sort of backs up that it was an early build.

IIRC tpj told me it was the first 270 or so built that got 86 GLHS plaques. If I go down the VIN list in invoice and ship date order it is the first 272 or 273 that were invoiced and shipped in Oct of 1986. The rest being in November or later.

Barry

Thanks Barry.

On the windshield decal, was it like the first 120 or 160 or so that got the Omni decal with the CS cut off? After that, the rest got the larger version of SHELBY.

sdac guy
08-01-2009, 01:08 PM
Thanks Barry.

On the windshield decal, was it like the first 120 or 160 or so that got the Omni decal with the CS cut off? After that, the rest got the larger version of SHELBY.I don't know that I've ever heard the quantity of those mentioned.

Barry

DC Turismo
08-01-2009, 02:22 PM
Look at the Year One catalog. Hundred of thousands of high quality reproduction items that would otherwise make a muscle car restoration incomplete.

If you're not gonna have a piece that looks like the original, why put one on at al?

I see where you're coming from. Oh well, whatever the final product is I'll be happy with. I just don't want people who are new to the hobby to be taken advantage of in the future. (i.e. when Shelby passes away and all kinds of Whittier cars come out of the woodwork and people are looking for stuff to fix them even though they never knew these cars existed in the first place)

contraption22
08-01-2009, 03:44 PM
I see where you're coming from. Oh well, whatever the final product is I'll be happy with. I just don't want people who are new to the hobby to be taken advantage of in the future. (i.e. when Shelby passes away and all kinds of Whittier cars come out of the woodwork and people are looking for stuff to fix them even though they never knew these cars existed in the first place)

True dat.... but the history of these vehicles are so cloudy, and there are so few historians to validate such stuff, I don't think it will really matter. As long as the vin is good, and the car looks nice, they should really be the only things that matter.

87glhs
08-01-2009, 10:23 PM
Thanks Barry.

On the windshield decal, was it like the first 120 or 160 or so that got the Omni decal with the CS cut off? After that, the rest got the larger version of SHELBY.

Mine is #25x and it has the smaller decal.

sdac guy
08-04-2009, 09:30 PM
Thanks Barry.

On the windshield decal, was it like the first 120 or 160 or so that got the Omni decal with the CS cut off? After that, the rest got the larger version of SHELBY.I talked to tpj today. Both the Mobil 1 plaque and the decal from the 86 car were used in the same quantity. I was wrong earlier when I remembered the number as being about 270.

It was about 170 for both. He said that when they closed down the Friday after the correct plaques and decals arrived they decided that they would start using the correct parts on Monday. So all the early cars both got short decals and 86 plaques. So if your 87 Charger GLHS windshield is original, and it has the short Shelby decal then it also originally had the 86 Mobil 1 plaque.

As an update, SDAC is buying a small quantity of each plaque that he has. He and I had discussed this about a year ago but it never got off the ground. There were 4 Mobil 1 plaques total. The CSX plaques were used for both 87 & 89, while the CSX-T never got them and neither did the Shelby Dakotas.

In about a week to 10 days, SDAC will have plaques for the 86 GLHS, CSX, and Shelby Lancer. There will be a new thread in the SDAC forum regarding these when that time comes.

Dave, tpj expressed interest in having you do reproductions of the 87 Charger GLHS plaque.

Barry

ShelbyTC16v
08-04-2009, 11:04 PM
Great news Barry! :thumb: I'll be looking for the announcement.

CNH320
08-04-2009, 11:49 PM
The CSX plaques were used for both 87 & 89.

My 89 CSX did not have a plaque or evidence of one underhood. I assumed 89s did not get a plaque. Did these really come with one?

sdac guy
08-05-2009, 05:10 AM
My 89 CSX did not have a plaque or evidence of one underhood. I assumed 89s did not get a plaque. Did these really come with one?I'll ask him when I talk to him next time.

Barry

Blue Iroc R/T
08-05-2009, 12:56 PM
My Iroc R/T has a reproduction Mobil 1 Placque that I have had on there for a few years not. I got it from SuperDave from the RTML. He no longer has the connection to get them made.

Dave, If anyone want you to do repros of this one, I can get you a High Res. shot of it and dimensions. If you need it let me know.

Sorry, but this is the best shot that I have of it on my computer here at work.

LaserXT1986
08-05-2009, 02:07 PM
Ok all,

Well it looks like this will likely be a go, bearing the ability to see one and make sure I can do it with one of my 2 digital printers. Barry, I will be in touch with you regarding what TPJ said and go from there.

And it stands now, I will NOT make anything that SDAC has to sell. First off, you're supporting the hobby and the club and I would never stand in the way of that. Secondly, why pass up a repro when you can get a NOS one?? :thumb: By the way, if you are not an SDAC member, considering joining (or re-newing membership) if you buy an NOS one. The club is here to help YOU, now you can help IT :nod:

That said, I am thinking of a target of around $20 shipped to do these. They will be .025 anodized aluminum (I need to see one to determine if it is a "grain" finish or "matte" finish aluminum -- I have both). They will have micro-thin 3M tape on the back (micro-thin so it doesnt "sit up" away from the surface you mount it on). If this seems high I am sorry, but you have to realize the factory was making these in large numbers and screen printing them.

I would offer discounts on multiple orders. When complete I assure you it will be a top quality product. I am willing to make custom ones (i.e., Royal Purple, etc) but would need to see an actual label from the manufacturer to properly try and match the color, logo, etc.

What I need to know right now is the following (hopefully Barry or TPJ can shed some light):

-How many styles were there, accounting for all models that had it? I was under the impression there were TWO (each a different size) with the only other difference being the actual vehicle listed on it. Can anyone get this information?

-Did they have square or rounded corners? Were these "clean cut" (i.e., a perfect rectangle with perfect square or rounded corners) or were they "stamp cut" (i.e., not perfect parallel straight lines, etc)? The few I have seen on Ebay looked like they weren't perfectly square/rectangular (if you know what I mean, hopefully you do).

Please note before I 100% say yes to this.......

1.) Please, please, PLEASE don't post hereafter with "yes I want one". There will be a different thread for that if these come to light, posting such here will only clutter the facts of trying to GET them made ;)

2.) I want to see one from TPJ to make sure one of my 2 digital printers can in fact duplicate it to my strict specs. If I can't, I will not put out an inferior product.

I will keep you all informed, and thank you for your support :thumb::D

LaserXT1986
08-05-2009, 02:08 PM
My Iroc R/T has a reproduction Mobil 1 Placque that I have had on there for a few years not. I got it from SuperDave from the RTML. He no longer has the connection to get them made.

Dave, If anyone want you to do repros of this one, I can get you a High Res. shot of it and dimensions. If you need it let me know.

Hi Ralph,

Yes if you could get me a good shot and dimensions that would be great, thank you!! :D

ShelbyTC16v
08-05-2009, 02:33 PM

Ralph,

My custom one was done by SuperDave as well. I don't think his were "exact" reproductions(I've done some comparing). If David is going to do these, he is going to need an original and "authentic" Mobil1 plaque.

Blue Iroc R/T
08-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Ralph,

My custom one was done by SuperDave as well. I don't think his were "exact" reproductions(I've done some comparing). If David is going to do these, he is going to need an original and "authentic" Mobil1 plaque.

I'm not sure, but I don't think that they ever made "Authentic" ones for the Iroc R/T. Just the custom ones that SuperDave made.
I like the plaques just to show that that is all the is allowed to go inside my T-III engine.

ShelbyTC16v
08-05-2009, 02:59 PM
I'm not sure, but I don't think that they ever made "Authentic" ones for the Iroc R/T. Just the custom ones that SuperDave made.
I like the plaques just to show that that is all the is allowed to go inside my T-III engine.

:thumb:

jaysshelby
08-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Dave, here is a pic I have of one. you can see it has rouned corners and the matte finish.

sdac guy
08-05-2009, 10:29 PM
Barry, I will be in touch with you regarding what TPJ said and go from there. I am leaving for the Mopar Nats early tomorrow, but I will be back by Monday afternoon. I'll PM you my cell number in case you want to talk about it.

What I need to know right now is the following (hopefully Barry or TPJ can shed some light):

-How many styles were there, accounting for all models that had it? I was under the impression there were TWO (each a different size) with the only other difference being the actual vehicle listed on it. Can anyone get this information? I have only seen the one size and am pretty certain that is all that was made. But I will check.

Were these "clean cut" (i.e., a perfect rectangle with perfect square or rounded corners) or were they "stamp cut" (i.e., not perfect parallel straight lines, etc)? Not sure exactly what you are saying, but all I have seen were fairly exact and true parallel lines. To me clean cut would mean there are no sharp edges on the backs, while stamp cut usually leaves a sharp edge or two on the back side (much like the SDAC event dash plaques have).

A ways back in this thread you asked about doing the printing directly on the metal or doing an clear overlay with the printing on it. The problem with the originals which were screen printed was that the image wore from everything, weather, sunlight, washing, or any abrasion. For that reason, unless the printing ink you use can withstand the elements and harsh underhood world, I would vote for the printed overlay so that the top surface of the vinyl protects the design.

As I stated earlier, the only one of the four tpj doesn't have is the Charger GLHS. The ones he has are the GLHS, Shelby Lancer, and CSX. As stated earlier I will check to see if the 89 CSX came with plaques or not.

Coincidentally I have already had one person contact me regarding the NOS plaque and the price I set for him was also $20 shipped and that is what SDAC will sell them for hopefully by late next week.

Barry

LaserXT1986
08-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Dave, here is a pic I have of one. you can see it has rouned corners and the matte finish.

Thanks Jay! One clue down, more to go lol!

I have only seen the one size and am pretty certain that is all that was made. But I will check.

I was only going on what I heard and thought I saw. I thought earlier models had it on the valve cover and were "square" while later models had it on the rad support and were more rectangular. Look at this link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987-Shelby-CSX-Underhood-badge-Turbo-Dodge_W0QQitemZ110415352161QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMoto rs_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item19b5449161&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1171

To me that one looks more "rectangular" than Jay's for example. Maybe it's just me, I dunno...thus why I ask ;) If there is only one size, that's great, makes it easier to do.

Not sure exactly what you are saying, but all I have seen were fairly exact and true parallel lines. To me clean cut would mean there are no sharp edges on the backs, while stamp cut usually leaves a sharp edge or two on the back side (much like the SDAC event dash plaques have).

Exactly what I was wondering, perfect. I will be CNC'ing the backgrounds so they will be without sharp edges :)

A ways back in this thread you asked about doing the printing directly on the metal or doing an clear overlay with the printing on it. The problem with the originals which were screen printed was that the image wore from everything, weather, sunlight, washing, or any abrasion. For that reason, unless the printing ink you use can withstand the elements and harsh underhood world, I would vote for the printed overlay so that the top surface of the vinyl protects the design.

Well cmon, 20 years holding up is pretty good isn't it? ;) Seriously, screen printing is by far the most durable way to do something, period, end of discussion. But it's also the most expensive. Pinball machines used to do their playfields via screenprinting, and it took YEARS and hundreds of thousands of plays to wear em out (my one, 1977's "Eight Ball" with Fonzie on the backglass and a Happy Days theme, still looks 8 out of 10 and I have owned it since 1981).

Back on topic, my approach is to print these onto clear vinyl (which is glossy) and then overlaminate it with a matte laminate (that will dull it). I have to test the printing first to make sure I can hit the colors properly in the methods I do, then test the laminate to make sure all looks good and will hold up :D

As I stated earlier, the only one of the four tpj doesn't have is the Charger GLHS. The ones he has are the GLHS, Shelby Lancer, and CSX. As stated earlier I will check to see if the 89 CSX came with plaques or not.

Something tells me even if not, people will want a custom one. I will make sure not to do the ones you will be selling.

Coincidentally I have already had one person contact me regarding the NOS plaque and the price I set for him was also $20 shipped and that is what SDAC will sell them for hopefully by late next week.

Well then that works out pretty well :D

Barry[/QUOTE]

"Top Fuel" Bender
08-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Dave lmk if you want me to get some from TPJ and bring them to meeting or send you pics for examination

Rebel Rob
08-07-2009, 03:24 PM
/Users/robauther/Desktop/0807091458a.jpg
/Users/robauther/Desktop/0807091458.jpg

here are tpj 86 "S" one front and back photo's

I'm a Tard I dont know how to post pic's so if someone would like to tell me Ill repost if not I can email them to someone

DC Turismo
08-08-2009, 11:26 PM
Email them to me Rob.

mcglsr2
08-14-2009, 11:58 PM
i will take one for an 87 CSX. this is what mine currently looks like: :p
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l248/mcglsr2/Shelby/Engine%20Bay/mobil1plaque.jpg

Thanks Jay! One clue down, more to go lol!

I was only going on what I heard and thought I saw. I thought earlier models had it on the valve cover and were "square" while later models had it on the rad support and were more rectangular. Look at this link:

To me that one looks more "rectangular" than Jay's for example. Maybe it's just me, I dunno...thus why I ask ;) If there is only one size, that's great, makes it easier to do.

the above image is from my 87 CSX. for sure it's rectangular. and on the rad support. i can measure it if necessary.

black86glhs
08-15-2009, 12:34 AM
I can't wait. I have a turbo and shelby vc that could both use one. :thumb:

iTurbo
08-21-2009, 02:14 PM
Did they go on the valve cover on the GLHS? I know they are on the upper radiator support on the Lancer and CSX.

black86glhs
08-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Did they go on the valve cover on the GLHS? I know they are on the upper radiator support on the Lancer and CSX.Yeah, right next to the oil cap.

sdac guy
08-27-2009, 06:20 PM
We have received a limited supply of original Mobil 1 plaques.

Info is in this thread (http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41611)

Barry

87glhs
09-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Has there been any more word on the 87 GLHS Charger repro, or custom plaques that have been discussed?

banshee X
09-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Has there been any more word on the 87 GLHS Charger repro, or custom plaques that have been discussed?

ya, they are done and for sale on sdac website, i ordered mine and got it in 2 or 3 days, very well done!!!:thumb:

sdac guy
09-04-2009, 05:41 PM
ya, they are done and for sale on sdac website, i ordered mine and got it in 2 or 3 days, very well done!!!:thumb:No, the ones SDAC is selling are original plaques for the 86 GLHS, CSX, and Shelby Lancer. SDAC doesn't have any 87 Charger GLHS plaques, and it it the repros of those that he is asking about.

Dave?????

Barry

CSX153
09-04-2009, 09:56 PM
just got mine in the mail today. looks great, but not sure where the stock location of it was since i never had one. 89 csx

sdac guy
09-05-2009, 08:56 AM
just got mine in the mail today. looks great, but not sure where the stock location of it was since i never had one. 89 csx
Only the 86 GLHS had the plaque affixed to the valve cover. All the rest got them on the radiator core support. Here (http://www.sdac.org/sdac_photo_pages/car%20show%2015/pages/DSC061801.html) is a pic of one, just to the left of the decal.

Barry

LaserXT1986
09-09-2009, 02:18 PM
No, the ones SDAC is selling are original plaques for the 86 GLHS, CSX, and Shelby Lancer. SDAC doesn't have any 87 Charger GLHS plaques, and it it the repros of those that he is asking about.

Dave?????

Barry

Sorry for the delay. Bruce Bender was supposed to get me one by the last DV-SDAC meeting but didn't. Barry, would it be possible to get one from you, so I can scan/work on making one, and then send it back to you? Let me know!! :D

"Top Fuel" Bender
09-09-2009, 04:21 PM
Sorry for the delay. Bruce Bender was supposed to get me one by the last DV-SDAC meeting but didn't. Barry, would it be possible to get one from you, so I can scan/work on making one, and then send it back to you? Let me know!! :D

Sorry, I haven't been able to get ahold of TPJ
I'll stop by tonight and see if he's there

sdac guy
09-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Sorry for the delay. Bruce Bender was supposed to get me one by the last DV-SDAC meeting but didn't. Barry, would it be possible to get one from you, so I can scan/work on making one, and then send it back to you? Let me know!! :DDave, you need a sample plaque for an 87 Charger GLHS. TPJ doesn't have any, and neither do I. You need to find someone that has one on their car that is in good shape, take a pic of it and measure it (to the 32nd of inch).

Here are the measurements of the original plaques I have:

Shelby GLHS
h - 1 3/16 w - 1 17/32

Shelby Lancer
h - 1 3/16 w - 1 9/16

Shelby CSX
h - 1 3/16 w - 1 3/4

So they are all the same height but different widths. Among the same type of plaque, I've found no measurable variances.

So you need the measurement of the 87 GLHS plaque along with a pic of it. If need be, I can supply a plaque from one of those I have so you can get a good color match of the blue and red used for the word Mobil.

Barry

87glhs
09-10-2009, 01:40 AM
CHARGER GLHS
h: (1-3/16") w: (1-11/16")

http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn379/87glhs/scan0002.jpg

This is the tag from my wife's GLHS. The haze is remnants of the plastic clear coat.

LaserXT1986
09-10-2009, 04:09 AM
Dave, you need a sample plaque for an 87 Charger GLHS. TPJ doesn't have any, and neither do I. You need to find someone that has one on their car that is in good shape, take a pic of it and measure it (to the 32nd of inch).

Here are the measurements of the original plaques I have:

Shelby GLHS
h - 1 3/16 w - 1 17/32

Shelby Lancer
h - 1 3/16 w - 1 9/16

Shelby CSX
h - 1 3/16 w - 1 3/4

So they are all the same height but different widths. Among the same type of plaque, I've found no measurable variances.

So you need the measurement of the 87 GLHS plaque along with a pic of it. If need be, I can supply a plaque from one of those I have so you can get a good color match of the blue and red used for the word Mobil.

Barry

I knew it! I had posted several times in this thread about different sizes and it seemed like everyone was unknown to this fact!! Glad to see we have some results now.

Barry, I would assume that even tho the sizes are different that the printed area is the same size (save for the type of car). Any way anyone can check this? And Barry if you can send one, please do so I have something for the color match.

Thanks all!!

sdac guy
09-10-2009, 06:52 AM
As can be seen in the image below, the font sizes are slightly different between plaques. Look at the words "As Recommended in" in relation to the Mobil 1 mark. It looks to me like the CSX plaque is closest to the the sample that 87glhs posted. So, I will send a CSX plaque to you today Dave.

The difference is between the GLHS plaque and the rest in that all the smaller letters are in bold on the GLHS plaque, while they are not bold on the others. Also, the Mobil 1 logo is larger on the CSX plaque than it is on the GLHS and Lancer (though you can't tell it in this photo).

In this image, disregard the difference in color of the Mobil 1 as it was the result of the camera/flash, in reality, they are all identical in color.

http://www.sdac.org/misc/3plaques.jpg

Barry

87glhs
09-10-2009, 11:11 AM
This one's from GLHS #841. Was one of the few Shelby items left on the car when I looked at it back in May.

http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn379/87glhs/DSC00003.jpg

Blue Iroc R/T
09-11-2009, 02:13 AM
Dave here is the sticker for the Iroc R/T that I got from SuperDave several years ago. As you can see, it got scorched from the heat on the Steel Powder Coated Valley Cover.
Here is the sizes for the sticker and the size and length of the words on each line:
Sticker Size = 1.560" Wide x 1.167" High
Top Line; USE = .060" High x .132" Long
Mobil = .250" High x .900" Long
[1] = .250" Square
As Recommended in = .050" High x .800" Long
Iroc R/T = .125" High x .850" Long
Owners Manual = .060" High x .635" Long

I hope this helps. IF/When you get these, I would like to buy at least two of them. Thanks! Let me know if you need me to email you the High Resolution of the sticker.

zin
09-11-2009, 04:19 PM
I had a thought that might help get these done, and done to the right scale as they all seem to be slightly different, or at least some of them seem to use different font sizes for some of the lettering.

The idea is to have a picture of each style taken with a machinist's rule laid along the long side of the plaque, and take the picture from directly over it. That would help keep the scale of each plaque correct and might make doing the artwork quicker/easier/more accurate. Even better would be to have a scale on each side

What say you? Too much perfection? ;)

Mike

PS If we were worried about the color correctness as well, which I don't think is an issue, we could add color chips (red blue and yellow) of a particular designation so the artist can call out the correct color/correct for lighting.

sdac guy
09-11-2009, 06:28 PM
I've already sent a CSX plaque to Dave for him to use. The font appears to be an exact match to the pic 87glhs supplied, we have the overall dimensions, and he will be able to get a color match from a brand new plaque.

Barry

zin
09-11-2009, 06:41 PM
OK, I was more referring to the type size than the font itself, I should have stated that clearer. At any rate, sounds like he's covered...

I've already sent a CSX plaque to Dave for him to use. The font appears to be an exact match to the pic 87glhs supplied, we have the overall dimensions, and he will be able to get a color match from a brand new plaque.

Barry

87glhs
11-02-2009, 10:47 AM
:bump2:

LaserXT1986
11-03-2009, 01:38 PM
I apologize to the forum for slacking on this...been going through a lot of personal stuff and unfortunately this took a back seat.

I have the sample Barry sent me over a month ago, and will work on it this weekend. I will have an answer/update by Monday, Nov. 9th.

Thanks for your patience and understanding!! :thumb:

LaserXT1986
11-10-2009, 10:02 AM
Update: Still working on it. My one printer that has the ability to print white primer (required to prevent "washing out" of ink colors when placed onto metal) did not look great on the small copy.

I am working on the other printer (which doesnt print white primer), trying to modify the colors so that when it is applied to "silver" (i.e., the metal), the colors "shift" to the proper spectrum. This is involved to say the least, but I won't put out anything less than a perfect product.

Keep looking back here for updates!

mopar brett
11-17-2012, 09:58 AM
did these ever happen or did it die???

BadAssPerformance
11-17-2012, 10:22 AM
Dave, any updates?