PDA

View Full Version : Compression Test Results

The S is Silent
05-04-2006, 06:27 PM
I've been having a little bit of smoke from the van, so I decided to go ahead and run a compression test. 130-120-100-120. When oil was added to number 3, it jumped up to 115. Worn rings.

What do ya'll think? What should I do? What would you do?

85_600
05-04-2006, 08:10 PM
I've been having a little bit of smoke from the van, so I decided to go ahead and run a compression test. 130-120-100-120. When oil was added to number 3, it jumped up to 115. Worn rings.

What do ya'll think? What should I do? What would you do?

I had similar findings as well. I'm doing a re-ring and rod bearing job with the block in the car, AND a T2 conversion as well. Lord help me :D

If you have the time and a daily driver, I'd re-ring, at least. I have to pull my head anyways to see what my damage is. My one cylinder was down to 90, which seems to be the "magic" number for cracked pistons:(

Re-ring/Rod bearings, at least. Then you'll know if there is anything wrong in there.

Good Luck!!

turbovanmanČ
05-04-2006, 08:43 PM
Rings, just rering in car and be done with it, unless you want to get more power, then pull it and go thru it properly.

The S is Silent
05-04-2006, 10:16 PM
That's the thing...I don't really have the time to go through and do it properly. My charger is in a million pieces right now, and it needs to get back together by the time I move in July. So it's kind of the priority right now. So this engine is going to have to get the quick and dirty treatment.

What are we looking at for re-ringing? Valve seals might as well be changed while I'm at it, and the two main seals. I've got a head gasket and headbolts lying around. What is the fastest anybody has done something like this?

Well, might as well start reading the faqs for this.

85_600
05-05-2006, 12:03 AM
Well, might as well start reading the faqs for this.

Speed Read :D - There's a TON of info out there!

Try this one for starters:
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42

I printed it out and read it weekly, even though I'm not doing this until July or August.:o

gasketmaster
05-05-2006, 01:56 AM
That's the thing...I don't really have the time to go through and do it properly. My charger is in a million pieces right now, and it needs to get back together by the time I move in July. So it's kind of the priority right now.

For a daily driver just run it..............it probably isn't going to die anytime soon ;)

Drive it easy for now then after your priority project gets finished............do it once and do it right :thumb:

WickedShelby88
05-05-2006, 02:17 AM
true. I got a lebaron that I thought was wore out and when it got totalled the old motor ended up going straight in my shelby Z to get it on the road. Now im pulling it and doing it right after a year of driving and it didnt fail me at least not until the HG blew lol... hence drive it easy....

Turbodave
05-05-2006, 09:16 AM
Your 90 day warranty is expired :evil:

But, if you want to come up and complain about it I've got cold beers in the fridge. The pep-boys down the street has got lot's of bottles of "restore" on the shelf, I'm sure we could get it running like new again that way.

GLHSKEN
05-05-2006, 09:50 AM
For a daily driver just run it..............it probably isn't going to die anytime soon ;)

Drive it easy for now then after your priority project gets finished............do it once and do it right :thumb:

+1^^^

The S is Silent
05-05-2006, 09:54 AM
Your 90 day warranty is expired :evil:

But, if you want to come up and complain about it I've got cold beers in the fridge. The pep-boys down the street has got lot's of bottles of "restore" on the shelf, I'm sure we could get it running like new again that way.

Hmmmmm...tempting. I don't blame you anyways. I probably wore the rings out while running it without the air charge temp sensor for so long. I'm sure if I drove it up we could fix it in a weekend :)

This will end up being one of those learning experiences along the road of life.

Turbodave
05-05-2006, 09:54 AM
One thing you could try, since that motor sat for a while the rings may just be a little stuck or something. I read on a Saturn site (those things are notorious for using oil) about some tricks to clean up and unstick rings.

Remove all four spark plugs, pour in some marvel mystery oil (or seafoam), enough to completely cover the rings. Let it sit like this overnight, then in the morning crank it over with the plugs out to push any excess fluid out of the cylinders (hydrolock=bad). Then put the plugs in, run it and hope it helped (may smoke for a while at first). It's worth a shot and is a lot easier than taking the engine apart.

Turbodave
05-05-2006, 09:58 AM
Hmmmmm...tempting. I don't blame you anyways. I probably wore the rings out while running it without the air charge temp sensor for so long. I'm sure if I drove it up we could fix it in a weekend :)

This will end up being one of those learning experiences along the road of life.

That van has dished out life experiences to many people already. I think it's cursed or something (however, it's still one of my favorite turbovans).

mcsvt
05-05-2006, 10:00 AM
Yeah that van is what got me hooked. I still remember the stories in the Car Lounge :)

The S is Silent
05-05-2006, 10:11 AM
That van has dished out life experiences to many people already. I think it's cursed or something (however, it's still one of my favorite turbovans).

It makes me feel better when I hear that it gave Matt almost as much trouble during the time he owned it. Cursed or no...I'm going to keep the damn thing running. :amen:

I'm going to give the seafoam a try today. Like you said, it's worth a shot. Am I going to have to change the oil right after doing that?

Turbodave
05-05-2006, 08:30 PM
It makes me feel better when I hear that it gave Matt almost as much trouble during the time he owned it. Cursed or no...I'm going to keep the damn thing running. :amen:

I'm going to give the seafoam a try today. Like you said, it's worth a shot. Am I going to have to change the oil right after doing that?

Matt used to call what seemed like every week wanting to sell the van because it was broke again. The calls usually went something like the light for the ash tray quit, and now I've got the dash apart as a result and lost a screw and I hate it and want to sell it now for $1200, then a few hours later nevermind, found the screw now it's the most awesome vehicle ever...

I would change the oil after doing that, use regular stuff, giving that engine Mobil 1 makes about as much sense as giving a druken frat boy Guiness.