PDA

View Full Version : bung for EGT probe?

inmyshadow
07-28-2009, 02:40 PM
anybody have experiences on welding a bung into the exhaust manifold? My shadow likes to eat Autometer EGT probes. I only seem to get a year and a half out of them.

Right now, I have the probe clamped on to the 4th cylinder. Changing a failed probe is nearly impossible without the tranny or head removed.

Since my motor is torn down. I'd like to have a bung welded so it is easier to replace the probe. I looked over summit's website. They list a few EGT bungs.

I talked to the machine shop about his. They don't feel comfortable threading into the manifold. The threads will protrude into the exhaust flow. They don't have any experience with welding a bung. They looked to see if they had a nut in the same thread as the probe. But didn't have anything close.

Later

cordes
07-28-2009, 03:01 PM
I don't have any personal experience with it, but the guys from the SDAC 17 tech session said to put it in the turbine housing inlet. Perhaps that would make things easier?

overboostmotorsports
07-28-2009, 03:16 PM
james

drill and tap the manifold. i have run mine this way for years with no ill effect the threads on the autometer probe do not go in all the way to the port. 1/8 npt tap is needed

Norm

turbovanmanČ
07-28-2009, 03:19 PM
james

drill and tap the manifold. i have run mine this way for years with no ill effect the threads on the autometer probe do not go in all the way to the port. 1/8 npt tap is needed

Norm

+2, just drill and tap, then screw in the probe mount, and your done, :thumb: