PDA

View Full Version : shift cable holes.....were to cut

turbocoupe
05-04-2006, 12:24 AM
If anybody has a picture were the shifter cables runs threw would be a big help cause i have a lil problem cause were i cut my whole is near the exhaust and now one of my cables is touching it and thats bad

Thanks

tryingbe
05-04-2006, 02:28 AM
What car? Generally, you want the holes as far left as you can get them.

turbocoupe
05-04-2006, 10:08 AM
88 lebaron coupe

Wink
05-04-2006, 11:30 PM
There should a dimple on the firewall. One is already used where your automatic cable comes through. The other will be a bit toward the passenger side and up from the original hole. For the clutch cable, there should already be a hole next to the brake booster assembly.

Wink

Subliminal
05-05-2006, 08:58 AM
You know, when it came time to run the shifter cables in my 600es, I heard there should be dimples too, but you know what...there weren't.

The best way to do it, that I found is this:

Stick the shifter where it goes, and just kind of eyeball it. The holes actually go in the exhaust tunnel, more than the firewall, maybe a foot or less in front of the shifter. Also, take tryingbe's advice, and get them to the left of center. Dead center, like I did mine, puts them right up against the exhaust, which isn't necessarily a good thing. But you don't want to go too far left of center, or you'll put them in a bind.

If all else fails, head over to a JY this weekend, and just peer underneath a car with a stick.

Wink
05-05-2006, 11:54 PM
I know the P-bodies have the cables going between the heat shield and the tunnel. But my 93 Baron, it had a dimple on the firewall that just needed to be drilled out.

Since his is a Baron as well, I wouldn't think that the firewall would have changed all that much between years. Especially between 87-95.

MiniMopar
05-10-2006, 02:08 AM
My 86 Daytona had the dimples on the tunnel, right where it angled upward in front of the center console bracket. The heat shield should keep them away from the exhaust. My car did not have a heat shield (just some kind of clamp-on deal right on the downpipe), so I made a strap out of aluminum and screwed it into the tunnel to keep the cable far away from the pipe.