PDA

View Full Version : Turn Signal Frozen

89FerrariShelby
07-24-2009, 11:13 AM
I fixed this on my old Minivan, but that was 8 something years ago.

My left turn signal is just a constant light. no blinking whatso-ever.

Right turn signal works fine.

Is it as simple as replacing the bulb? I know i've fixed this before, i just can't remember how for the life of me.

Don't feel like getting rearended (turn lights = brake light) or assaulted because people don't know what's up.

mcglsr2
07-24-2009, 11:18 AM
i would suggest trying the bulb first. although when a bulb fails, it doesn't usually fail "on." if that doesn't fix it, then the turn signal relay may be bad and need replacing.

89FerrariShelby
07-24-2009, 11:22 AM
I'll probably try the relay then, it's only on when i switch the signal, not all the time....(just for clarification).

for bulb i'm not sure if i should try the front or back first....

mcglsr2
07-24-2009, 11:42 AM
i have noticed in my other car that when a bulb goes out, the turn signal blinks super fast. this may be similar to your situation. to find the burned out bulb, just put the turn signal on. then look at the front and rear turn signals and see which one is not working.

mark
07-24-2009, 09:25 PM
my did that, i took apart the turn signal module on the steering column, cleaned the contacts up, put it back together with some dieelectric .. fixed it.

JDAWG
07-24-2009, 10:53 PM
on the minivans they stay on and dont blink, my old one did that

89FerrariShelby
04-06-2010, 12:46 PM
on the minivans they stay on and dont blink, my old one did that

This.

Had this issue with my old minivan. Still having this issue :(

Replaced my bulbs, to no avail....

What's the deal with Relays? Something i can pick out of a junkyard?

shelbydave
04-06-2010, 01:11 PM
It could also be a corroded connection. I had a similar episode when I first powered up the charger after sitting for 5 years. I found corrosion in the lamp socket. Cleaned it out and all was good.

89FerrariShelby
04-06-2010, 01:33 PM
my biggest issue is i think its the tail lights giving me this issue (there's a crack at the top, based on the posts i'm guessing water got in and messed something up). I have never had ANY luck getting them off, for whatever reason they confound me....

turboshad
04-06-2010, 02:11 PM
It could also be a corroded connection. I had a similar episode when I first powered up the charger after sitting for 5 years. I found corrosion in the lamp socket. Cleaned it out and all was good.

This. I have had to replace the lamp sockets on every Shadow I've owned. I just go to the wrecker and search out good ones. I used to clean them but the problem wouldn't take long to return since the corrosion had already started.

puppet
04-12-2010, 11:11 PM
This is why I use 50/50 mix in the blinker fluid.