PDA

View Full Version : DIY Adj FPR

1BADVAN
07-22-2009, 08:23 PM
I have seen a few around i was wondering if there are any postings about it

turbovanmanČ
07-22-2009, 08:40 PM
I believe Gus's site has it. I tried it years ago and it leaked, lol.

1FastCSX289
07-22-2009, 09:04 PM
IVe built a few of them and they worked great. Basically, you cut the top off the thing with a cut-off wheel (or hack saw??) and carefully remove the vacuum nipple. Shave the edges of the cut off top down so that it fits inside the body of the regulator and can push on the spring. As I recall, I JB welded a dime on top of the cut piece so that it gave it a flat top for the adjustment screw to push on. Then, you find a freeze plug that is the correct diameter to work as a cap over the regulator. Weld a nut on the top of the cap, drill a hole in the center and run a bolt through for your adjustment screw. Then, drill another hole and weld the vacuum nipple in. Finally, weld the cap on to the regulator body......but be careful not to over heat. I just tack weld it while keeping it cool with a wet cloth. Then, I JB weld around the seems to keep it from leaking.

............Its the ultimate cob-job!!!:lol:

ShadowFromHell
07-22-2009, 09:09 PM
Ive built 2 or 3, all with great results. I built the 2:1 one on turbo diy probably 5 years ago and have used it on a few cars. It is currently on my NY, and works great with +20's. I also built one using 2 stock regulators and it almost looked stock when I was done with it.

here is a link to the 2:1 http://turbodiy.com/Mopar%20Pages/rising_rate_reg%20detail.htm

Aries_Turbo
07-22-2009, 09:10 PM
............Its the ultimate cob-job!!!:lol:

right up your alley then :)

t3rse
07-23-2009, 12:17 PM
ouch! ^

I had one that was riveted back together....

1FastCSX289
07-23-2009, 01:17 PM
right up your alley then :)

Oh yea......if it can be cobbed, I can do it!! Its a talent.....really, it is.

And YOU should talk, because you share similar skills......I dont know if they are as advanced as mine, but still......

Juggy
07-23-2009, 01:24 PM
I have seen a few around i was wondering if there are any postings about it

i have some parts for u to make your own with, cap with nipple and a seat for the spring!

will post up some pics once i find the stuff

say $20 + shipping

Aries_Turbo
07-23-2009, 05:29 PM
And YOU should talk, because you share similar skills......I dont know if they are as advanced as mine, but still......

hey, it takes one (me) to know one (you) ;)

if anyone saw my alky injection at SDAC-17, you know that i can cobb with the best of them. :)

Brian

butchsuppe
07-23-2009, 10:12 PM
http://www.ricdidonato.com/Downtime/mods.html Here's one I made a couple of times. And here's a raising rate that I made and has been on my car a few years now....http://www.turbodiy.com/Mopar%20Pages/rising_rate_reg%20detail.htm

DodgeZ
07-23-2009, 10:16 PM
Why would you want to do that at this day and age???

ShadowFromHell
07-23-2009, 10:28 PM
Because not all of us are rich... I can turn a stocker into a adj unit for a couple bucks, and not alot of time...

I used to run a car with a RRR, 20 psi, and a map clamp. Stock ecu believe it or not! No 3bar! Prett crazy huh? :p

Aries_Turbo
07-23-2009, 10:35 PM
yeah but you can set yourself up to do cals for ~50$ and make a 3-bar map for less than 20$. even if you dont have a wideband, its better than mechanical fuel pressure raising mods. DIY APR is fine but RRR's really arent needed much anymore.

Brian

ShadowFromHell
07-23-2009, 10:44 PM
I know. It just bothers me when they are quickly dismissed. There is newer, better ways, but the old ways still work. Everyone seems to forget that.

DodgeZ
07-24-2009, 12:56 AM
Because not all of us are rich... I can turn a stocker into a adj unit for a couple bucks, and not alot of time...

I used to run a car with a RRR, 20 psi, and a map clamp. Stock ecu believe it or not! No 3bar! Prett crazy huh? :p

So did I, back in the day when you couldn't get a tune....

yeah but you can set yourself up to do cals for ~50$ and make a 3-bar map for less than 20$. even if you dont have a wideband, its better than mechanical fuel pressure raising mods. DIY APR is fine but RRR's really arent needed much anymore.

Brian

thanks for the help with my ,non rigged up car, tune that dyno'ed 369wtq. So much better then old junk hacks.

I know. It just bothers me when they are quickly dismissed. There is newer, better ways, but the old ways still work. Everyone seems to forget that.

quick to dismiss? that crap is a bunch of hacks because the right why wasn't available. I am sorry but if you stick this on your car...

http://turbodiy.com/Mopar%20Pages/Mopar%20Images/RRR%20Pics/nov_2001_002_reg_2.jpg

you are asking for trouble. I wouldn't never recommend this to anyone, even back in the day when all we had was hacks...

ShadowFromHell
07-24-2009, 01:21 AM
quick to dismiss? that crap is a bunch of hacks because the right why wasn't available. I am sorry but if you stick this on your car...

But it still works! How hard is that to understand? Im not disagreeing with you, a cal is a better, cleaner way. But this can work, and there is no reason it isnt a reliable setup, for one is 100% mechanical, way less to go wrong. For two, I have one that has been swapped onto its 3rd car now. I built 4 or 5 years ago. It still works.

As for it being "hack" it depends on your fabrication skills. Some are better then others, and my fab work currently pays my bills.

Juggy
07-24-2009, 02:01 AM
But it still works! How hard is that to understand? Im not disagreeing with you, a cal is a better, cleaner way. But this can work, and there is no reason it isnt a reliable setup, for one is 100% mechanical, way less to go wrong. For two, I have one that has been swapped onto its 3rd car now. I built 4 or 5 years ago. It still works.

As for it being "hack" it depends on your fabrication skills. Some are better then others, and my fab work currently pays my bills.

if those things are paying your bills, i should really start thinking about getting into the AFPR business :lol:

that verty lebaron looks AWESOME!!! the trailer is trick :clap:

just PLEASE dont ever put that RRR on there! that car is way too nice for that thing :nod:

Aries_Turbo
07-24-2009, 11:47 AM
its not that it isnt reliable.... its that it just doesnt match the fuel needs of the engine as accurate as electronics.

i remember back in the day that alot more motors popped/ran shitty/had bad drivability than they do now and its all in the tuning.

will it work, sure, is it as good? no. :)

would i use one of these on my k car? no.

would i use it on a hackjob turbocharged free geo tracker or something like that? yes. (no i havent done that)

brian

DodgeZ
07-24-2009, 02:46 PM

My fab skills pay the bills also. I am so good that I can spend 50 bucks on a chip burner and do it right.

crazymadbastard
07-24-2009, 03:08 PM
http://turbodiy.com/Mopar%20Pages/Mopar%20Images/RRR%20Pics/nov_2001_002_reg_2.jpg

that thing looks like a hand grenade :eek:

butchsuppe
07-25-2009, 02:52 PM
There's just no convincing these RICH kids is these ? My HAND GRANADE has been on my poor mans budget car for 3 FRICKIN' yrs with NO problems. You rich guys want to supply us poor guys with burners and correct cals ? I suppose if someone give you a nitro burning old school 392 Hemi Dragster you'd turn your nose up at it.

DodgeZ
07-25-2009, 03:49 PM
There's just no convincing these RICH kids is these ? My HAND GRANADE has been on my poor mans budget car for 3 FRICKIN' yrs with NO problems. You rich guys want to supply us poor guys with burners and correct cals ? I suppose if someone give you a nitro burning old school 392 Hemi Dragster you'd turn your nose up at it.

Sorry butch, but this post is just dumb. My reply was in comment to a post acting like I don't have fab skills. So it was a little self defense not saying that I am rich by my ability to buy a 50 dollar tool. Since you want to start saying that I am rich kid lets get a few things straight... First, I have owned my Daytona Turbo Z for almost 15 years now. My parents were never rich by an means, you can ask my dad, he is on the forum. I am married and have 4 kids in which one of them is a teenager. So before you start tossing around "RICH kids" you need to get your facts straight, we aren't on SRTForums here... As for the cals and a tune you can buy a burner for less then a replacement FPR.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dual-Power-Willem-Universal-EPROM-Programmer-27C256-u6_W0QQitemZ200361091666QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defa ultDomain_0?hash=item2ea673a252&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1205|293%3A1| 294%3A50

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/parts/partsProduct.jsp?displayName=Fuel+Injector+Pressur e+Regulator&itemId=prod61683&navValue=14900165&parentId=cat30060&productId=80022&fromString=&itemIdentifier=80022_0_0_&filterByKeyWord=&categoryNValue=&isSearchByPartNumber=&categoryDisplayName=FuelDelivery&store=1010&skuDescription=Gp-Sorensen/FuelInjectorPressureRegulator&fromWhere=&searchText=&_requestid=698683

Next I would like ask you how the AFPR is helping you on your car? What are you using it for?

butchsuppe
07-25-2009, 06:02 PM
Whats dumb about this post ? My RRR is used to provide enough fuel at 18 PSI which does the same thing a custom cal does. You're rich compare to me, I could never afford 4 kids. Also doing cals is something not all of us can comprehand so we do it the old fasion way. Besides that some of us just like to build things.

DodgeZ
07-25-2009, 06:47 PM
Whats dumb about this post ? My RRR is used to provide enough fuel at 18 PSI which does the same thing a custom cal does. You're rich compare to me, I could never afford 4 kids. Also doing cals is something not all of us can comprehand so we do it the old fasion way. Besides that some of us just like to build things.

how do you know you have enough fuel?

1FastCSX289
07-25-2009, 07:53 PM
how do you know you have enough fuel?

Cause it hasnt blown up!!:lol:

He just doesnt know if he has too much fuel.

Ahh.......whatever......to each his own. I can see the reasons to hack and mess with things like rising rate regulators. If you just want to play and you dont care if it blows....why not? But, if I had a high dollar car, there is no way in the world I would use that stuff.

But, back to the original topic....the adj reg. The adjustable reg is still nice even if you can adjust your cal. If it does the same thing as the fancy pants 129 dollar regulator.....then why not?

Aries_Turbo
07-25-2009, 07:55 PM
im not rich at all lol. i live in a 30k$ house and usually drive 100$ cars.

have you looked into the logistics of doing a cal? its like 6-10 tables that you have to tweak for your setup and most of the ones i do for my own car, i usually dont have to make that many changes at all. if you can post on this message board, install some simple software into a computer and follow the instructions that have been documented on here, you can do a cal for your own car.

im in the process of making a few videos on how to do cals. step by step screen capture video from my laptop.

its not that hard. i encourage you to download one of rob lloyds premade cals from the cal repository on here and d-cal http://www.squirrelpf.com/bucar/ecu%20stuff/D-Cal_120.zip. here is a good cal to look at. its a stock 87 t2 cal with some added features. http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15442&d=1244512376 unzip d-cal, double click the turbo compressor housing d-cal icon. then hit load and navigate to where you saved the calibration that you downloaded and open it. youll see a zillion tables listed to the left. ignore most of them. just look at:

Timing:

* AdvanceFromMapWarmFull
* AdvanceFromMapWarmPart
* AdvanceFromRpms

Fuel:

* FuelFullThrottle
* FuelPartThrottle
* PumpingEfficiency
* FuelNoThrottle

look at the axis descriptions for each. youll see that some have a rpm value, some have a percentage, some have a pressure (map) value and some have a timing (degrees) value. ponder how they might interact.

what computer is in your daytona? 86? 87? log manifold? t2 manifold?

i know the regulator works just fine. i just prefer electronic control for its simplicity and precision.

Brian

ShadowFromHell
07-25-2009, 08:35 PM
Cause it hasnt blown up!!:lol:

He just doesn't know if he has too much fuel.

Ahh.......whatever......to each his own. I can see the reasons to hack and mess with things like rising rate regulators. If you just want to play and you dont care if it blows....why not? But, if I had a high dollar car, there is no way in the world I would use that stuff.

But, back to the original topic....the adj reg. The adjustable reg is still nice even if you can adjust your cal. If it does the same thing as the fancy pants 129 dollar regulator.....then why not?

Exactly, Ive never said this is a better alternative then a cal, it by far isnt. BUT it does work. How does it work you ask? It adds more fuel, more boost, more power! They are mechanical, so there is very little to go wrong if it is done correctly. I built mine 6-7 years ago before people were doing cals by themselves. It was a DIY RRR for pennies or a cal from FWD for 150 bucks. Being a broke college kid, I built the RRR. You say the car would have picked up a easy 20hp with a cal? Wouldn't surprise me a bit. Probably more, it was way rich. But, it didn't blow up, but would stomp ricers in heartbeat. I made a kid in DSM damn near cry one night. I stayed dead even with a intergra that was running 15psi at the street races. At the time the teg was one of the fastest FWD's around. Guy came back to the hangout spot hanging his head.

Back to the RRR... It was laying in the shop, along with a set of FFV's. So, I put them in my NY when I assembled it. I knew I would have more fuel then the LW rods could handle, and it was payed for. When my shadow finialy gets reassembled (been 5 years now) I will start playing with cals. Ive bought a old laptop, a OTC for data logging and a WBO2 is on the list.

BTW, I wasn't "dogging" on your your fab skills. What I was saying, is I get I make my living as a fabricator, and my RRR looks much nicer then the one in the pic. :)

1BADVAN
07-27-2009, 01:07 PM
Aside from the bickering of some thanks for the tips on the AFPR guys!
I like to do it both ways i have a burner wideband and all the cal stuff but like to do it the old way in some ways too.

Juggy
07-27-2009, 02:26 PM
im not rich by any means, but i prefer the regulator on my car over the ones i made years ago.

finally dug them up for some pics. the holes i drilled out were pretty useless. but i cut a few regs up and they ended up having different spring lengths. so just cut to size, and seal. the puck is groove machined for the spring, it fits in there nice. i should have drilled a hole on the backside for the screw, but i never did. brass nipple for vaccum source.

couple things i would change, this was a 1st attempt. currently no longer in the machining trade.

1BADVAN
07-27-2009, 03:17 PM
looks nice :)

t3rse
07-27-2009, 03:41 PM
Which is cheaper...a three bar and a cal, or a motor?

Price is not a reason to use an adjustable regulator. If you have to move the regulator off the rail, then there is a reason. But if you just want to argue that you are too poor to do a cal, then your argument is worthless. Now if you want to admit you aren't smart enough to do your own cals, that's an entirely different story.

butchsuppe
07-27-2009, 04:01 PM
Which is cheaper...a three bar and a cal, or a motor?

Price is not a reason to use an adjustable regulator. If you have to move the regulator off the rail, then there is a reason. But if you just want to argue that you are too poor to do a cal, then your argument is worthless. Now if you want to admit you aren't smart enough to do your own cals, that's an entirely different story. You want to give us a burner and chip ? I have a Rob Loyd 3 bar +20 cal with my RRR. Without the RRR I get detonation at 14 PSI which would damage the motor. With the RRR no detonation. BTW I'll be lucky to make next months rent, so you think my argument it worthless ? You guys in SC mush have alot of money, must be nice.

DodgeZ
07-27-2009, 05:13 PM
You want to give us a burner and chip ? I have a Rob Loyd 3 bar +20 cal with my RRR. Without the RRR I get detonation at 14 PSI which would damage the motor. With the RRR no detonation. BTW I'll be lucky to make next months rent, so you think my argument it worthless ? You guys in SC mush have alot of money, must be nice.

Maybe you shouldn't be souping up your car if you can't make rent.

DodgeZ
07-27-2009, 05:16 PM
im not rich by any means, but i prefer the regulator on my car over the ones i made years ago.

finally dug them up for some pics. the holes i drilled out were pretty useless. but i cut a few regs up and they ended up having different spring lengths. so just cut to size, and seal. the puck is groove machined for the spring, it fits in there nice. i should have drilled a hole on the backside for the screw, but i never did. brass nipple for vaccum source.

couple things i would change, this was a 1st attempt. currently no longer in the machining trade.

Those look real close the what I use to have.