PDA

View Full Version : Gasket blown time to replace

fuforums
05-03-2006, 08:20 PM
Ok, I tried real hard to think my car into just being a clogged heater core but I cleaned it all out and it was clear water running through. I did the best I could but my mind powers can't change things so I have a bad gasket. I noticed the milky sludge on the dipstick today and so I'm sure that's it. It still boosts good and runs ok but has choppy driving while cruising and of course the overheating with water disappearing into thin air for no reason. Even had some steam like substance coming out of the exhaust and so I am sure that it's the gasket.

3 years ago just before the car was parked I had a new mopar performance gasket put in by a guy I know from church, older man, mechanic of european cars for 40 years so I THOUGHT he knew about turbos. It ran so I can't complain but I dont' think he did it right cause it never ran as good as it did before. I got new head bolts at that time and he pulled the head completely off so I'm hoping all the bolts will come out without too much trouble.

I am hoping someone can give me a parts list basically so that I can get everything I need and then work on the car on Sunday and I won't have to go back and forth to the parts store.

I know I need a new Mopar Performance gasket and head bolts. I got a new thermostat and gasket. New coolant ready and radiator cap. I'll get a new timing belt since I might as well do it then.

What else do I need? What else can I check while I"m doing this?

I havent' done a head gasket before so all the help I can get will be sweet. I have a pretty awesome garage, though and just about all the tools availiable. (i spent most of my 20's doing car audio, and go karts, now 4 wheelers/dirt bikes and woodworking and welding)

Thanks guys.
PS do I need the crossdrilled gasket?

Joe
Dodge Shadow ES Turbo 2.5 mitsu intercooled

cordes
05-03-2006, 09:05 PM
I would pick up some new bolts that connect the down pipe to the turbo, as those will probably break. Get the ones which have the little metal piece attached to the nut, as they are much easier to get up there.

fuforums
05-03-2006, 11:54 PM
Are these regular bolts? The little metal piece? Do you mean the lock washer? Do you know what size these bolts are? THanks

Joe

cordes
05-04-2006, 12:14 PM
They can be found in the help section at some places, or I believe that NAPA can get the right one for you by part number. The tab that I am refering to is just a flat piece of metal that has been stamped or welded to the nut so that you have some thing to hold onto while you install it. I know that TU sells them, so that would probably be your best bet for getting the right ones. I have them on my omni, and they were the easiest install yet.