PDA

View Full Version : Having tranny problems and dont no what it is

turbocoupe
05-03-2006, 08:00 PM
OK just recently I converted my 88 lebaron turbo2 to standard (a-413 to A-555)
and the swap was done about 4 months ago but lately my car has become a pain and giving me problems I put a brand new clutch and throw out bearing as well. OK now too my problem the car has a been shifting hard lately like trying to put it in first is hard --- hell and shifting is hard so basically its hard to get it in every gear. And when it comes to reverse I literally have to shut the car off and put it in reverse so it doesn't grid. And i already replaced the clutch cable ands the tranny use to work like a charm i had my boss at my job take a look at it and he said you have a throw out bearing noise everytime you put the clutch pedal in and put it into any gear sound like you have more pressure on one side than the other and IM not sure if he talking about the pressure plate or what.....what do I have to do line the tranny better or what plzzzzzz help me IM going nuts:mad:

Joey

Whorse
05-03-2006, 08:39 PM
Try letting the clutch out between gears, while it's in neutral, and then put it back in and go to your next gear. If it's still equally tough, might be your synchros not working well.

In my car I have to put it into first, then reverse, and I've driven other cars that do the same.

Other than that, I don't know much about transmissions, so that's all I can offer.

Charger R/T
05-03-2006, 09:16 PM
sounds like you might be pulling the trans out to me. I had a disc partially come apart on my R/T. Pieces of the disc came off and where the disc was missing the fingers on the pressure plate was at a differant level. The trans when it lost enough material could not be gotten in gear with the engine running. But even with half of the material missing on one side of the disc it never slipped. I haven't had one of these trans apart but most do not use sycnros on the reverse gear so if the imput shaft isn't slowing up enough reverse will be harder to get in then the forward gears are. Like posted putting the shifter in a forward gear first will stop the imput shaft and make getting into reverse easier and quieter. It does sound like your clutch isn't releasing enough.
Tim

cordes
05-03-2006, 09:26 PM
Have you checked the fluid level in the trans? A friend with a TD had some low fluid in his trans which caused it to shift hard, and once filled to the proper level it was normal again.

turbocoupe
05-04-2006, 12:08 AM
[QUOTE=cordes]Have you checked the fluid level in the trans? A friend with a TD had some low fluid in his trans which caused it to shift hard, and once filled to the proper level it was normal again.[/QUOT

well tomorrow i will check my fluid level but i dont think that would be it first thing i want to try is alignment the tranny better cause it might be off wack my dad gave me a good idea that he used on his 86 laser when he installed the A-413 that i gave him I will let you guys informed

Wink
05-04-2006, 11:33 PM
Sounds almost like the clutch/pressure plate aren't totally disengaging. Take the car to a flat place. Put it in gear and push in the clutch. If the car wants to move when you remove the brake, then you know that's the problem.

How far is the automatic adjustment device on the pedal adjusted out?

Could also be a stretched cable.

APalmer
05-11-2006, 11:16 AM
Have you properly adjusted the cables with the low-range Torque Wrench (I think usually 55 inch pounds??) inside at the shifter base, per the Factory Service Manual?
Best - Andy