PDA

View Full Version : Which intake manifold on the 2.4L in a P-body?

1FastCSX289
07-21-2009, 09:31 AM
Im trying to decide which way to go. My choices are a 2.0 DOHC manifold from a neon, the SRT-4 manifold, or possibly the 2.4 caravan 2 piece manifold.

Which would work best as far as flow vs. fit? I can get the 2.0 manifold on the cheap, but the plenum looks small. The caravan and SRT are both in the 100-150 range. The caravan looks the most compact as far as not hitting the radiator, but it looks tall.

Also.....what throttle bodies are an option for these manifolds? I was hoping to use my stock throttle body in order to use the stock sensors and AIS. What are most guys doing?

contraption22
07-21-2009, 09:34 AM
Without going through that whole entire thread again... which 2.4 did you decide on?

The SRT-4 manifold requires a good amount of work to fit on an early head. If you are using a late head, I think the SRT-4 intake would be an excellent start.

Darkapollo
07-21-2009, 11:51 AM
I like the Neon manifold. It is a 2 piece and it is easily ported. The plenum itself is small, but there is plenty of material that can be removed.

t3rse
07-21-2009, 12:07 PM
Unless you have an SRT motor, avoid the SRT manifold. It points at the trans for one thing, and will be a whore to mate to a non SRT 2.4. There are good aftermarket intakes available for the neon.

Force Fed Mopar
07-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Maybe make an intake? The Stratus intakes look like they'd work good for customs, cut the runners off about 6-8" long and add a custom plenum.

contraption22
07-21-2009, 12:22 PM
Anybody have a picture collection of intake manifolds to look at?

1FastCSX289
07-21-2009, 01:10 PM
Without going through that whole entire thread again... which 2.4 did you decide on?

The SRT-4 manifold requires a good amount of work to fit on an early head. If you are using a late head, I think the SRT-4 intake would be an excellent start.

Im using a 2.4 out of a 97 |Stratus.

Ok....so scrap the SRT intake. I thought about making an intake, but I dont have a TIG (only a MIG) so I would be at the mercy of the welder to weld it up for me. Im looking for low buck, so I would assume the aftermarket intakes are probably out of my price range.

So......between the 2.0 DOHC intake and the caravan, which one???

I can get this intake for 100 shipped. But what about the height? Would the hood close? Anyone have any experience with this one? Also a two piece, so I could make a plenum to bolt on instead.
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg123/AustrianOakJr/d8afb06d.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg123/AustrianOakJr/e0dc4de2.jpg

Vs. the DOHC intake........
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg123/AustrianOakJr/150f3616.jpg

contraption22
07-21-2009, 01:11 PM
What about a Lonewolf or INDY intake?

BadAssPerformance
07-21-2009, 01:17 PM
Not sure if I have any proof if it really works well yet but... is there a market for these? Maybe after the header group buy, LOL!

http://www.badassperformance.com/mrides/z/08_specs/intake.jpg

t3rse
07-21-2009, 02:38 PM
My friend had a DOHC he cut the tb neck off and welded a straight piece on with a flange...made real dyno gains on a 200 whp n/a car.

1FastCSX289
07-21-2009, 03:35 PM
What about a Lonewolf or INDY intake?

Doesnt the indy intake require some mods to work?

1FastCSX289
07-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Not sure if I have any proof if it really works well yet but... is there a market for these? Maybe after the header group buy, LOL!

http://www.badassperformance.com/mrides/z/08_specs/intake.jpg

Thats a nice intake. Are those 2.0 runners? I would say there would be a market. Suckers like me that dont have a TIG. ;)

On that note, I was thinking I could MIG a steel plenum that bolts to that Caravan lower. I would think that would be easy enough.

glhs0426
07-21-2009, 04:05 PM
Since you are on the cheap, why don't you mock up the Stratus intake and see if it fits your combo? This is not a hybrid that will interfere with the distributor.

You should be able to fit the stock CSX TPS along with the stock CSX AIS motor to the Stratus throttle body.

If your throttle cable comes up short there is a plethora of TIII cars being parted out, and the stock Stratus cable might work.

John

Force Fed Mopar
07-21-2009, 04:43 PM
I'm pretty sure the minivan intake is too tall.

BadAssPerformance
07-21-2009, 04:58 PM
Thats a nice intake. Are those 2.0 runners? I would say there would be a market. Suckers like me that dont have a TIG. ;)

On that note, I was thinking I could MIG a steel plenum that bolts to that Caravan lower. I would think that would be easy enough.

Stratus I thought?

LOL.. you can do aluminum if your MG can do AC?

1FastCSX289
07-21-2009, 05:21 PM
Since you are on the cheap, why don't you mock up the Stratus intake and see if it fits your combo? This is not a hybrid that will interfere with the distributor.

You should be able to fit the stock CSX TPS along with the stock CSX AIS motor to the Stratus throttle body.

If your throttle cable comes up short there is a plethora of TIII cars being parted out, and the stock Stratus cable might work.

John

Possibly......but the runners are reaaaaally long. I dont know how that would work with my turbo and the rpms that it needs. I might go with it to start out if nothing pops up......I can always change it real easy later on.

I'm pretty sure the minivan intake is too tall.

Hmmm.......maybe just using the lower runners and welding up a box plenum that bolts to the top might be the way to go.

Stratus I thought?

Ill look into that.

turboshad
07-21-2009, 05:22 PM
I would go with a 2.0 intake. The runners on the 2.4 are stupid long for the bottom end. The 2.0 are a bit shorter (never measured, just going off of visual) and the plenum bolts on so you could always make another piece to put some more volume into the plenum.

The runners on JT's are from a stratus. I personally found when making an intake that the status runners didn't curve soon enough. The 2.0 DOHC intake was just perfect and it leveled the plenum out for good visual appeal.

There's my 2 cents.

DJ

SebringLX
07-21-2009, 05:23 PM
Stratus I thought?

1G Stratus was available with a 2.0L so it could still be a 2.0L :p Been a while since I've seen a 1G Stratus 2.4L Intake Manifold. The 2G's are plastic. :yuck:

1FastCSX289
07-21-2009, 06:22 PM
I would go with a 2.0 intake. The runners on the 2.4 are stupid long for the bottom end. The 2.0 are a bit shorter (never measured, just going off of visual) and the plenum bolts on so you could always make another piece to put some more volume into the plenum.

The runners on JT's are from a stratus. I personally found when making an intake that the status runners didn't curve soon enough. The 2.0 DOHC intake was just perfect and it leveled the plenum out for good visual appeal.

There's my 2 cents.

DJ

Thanks man. I think I will go that route. I can get the 2.0 lower for 30 bucks. Ill weld up a box plenum and bolt my TB to it and off I go.

contraption22
07-21-2009, 06:54 PM

There's my 2 cents.

DJ

Yes, the plenum does bolt on the 2.0 intake, but the elbow from the TB is a restriction just like on the 2.2 Turbo intakes. That can be fixed certainly.
As far as adding another plenum, there will still be some cutting and welding involved on the "upper" piece that bolts to the head, because there is not much clearance between the stock plenum and the starter.... at least not on a 2.0.

1FastCSX289
07-21-2009, 08:42 PM
As far as adding another plenum, there will still be some cutting and welding involved on the "upper" piece that bolts to the head, because there is not much clearance between the stock plenum and the starter.... at least not on a 2.0.

What do you mean the "upper piece that bolts to the head"??? I dont have the manifold in front of me, but it looks like you can just bolt the runners to the head like stock and then bolt your fabbed up plenum to the runners. Is it more complicated then that?:confused2:

contraption22
07-21-2009, 10:50 PM
What do you mean the "upper piece that bolts to the head"??? I dont have the manifold in front of me, but it looks like you can just bolt the runners to the head like stock and then bolt your fabbed up plenum to the runners. Is it more complicated then that?:confused2:

You can do that. I don't have a 2.4 for in front of me to see the difference in deck hight, but on a 2.0, you don't have very much room to build a nice plenum because the starter is in the way....

.... unless you cut the runner shorter and fab it up that way.

1FastCSX289
07-22-2009, 09:19 AM
You can do that. I don't have a 2.4 for in front of me to see the difference in deck hight, but on a 2.0, you don't have very much room to build a nice plenum because the starter is in the way....

.... unless you cut the runner shorter and fab it up that way.

Im using the A555 trans so the starter will be on the back side of the block.

contraption22
07-22-2009, 09:26 AM
Im using the A555 trans so the starter will be on the back side of the block.

Then you're good like wood!

turboshad
07-22-2009, 10:18 AM
It's too bad the carvan runners point up. That would be a better runner length where they come apart and then you could just make a plenum. I don't see it fitting into a P-body the way it is though

1FastCSX289
07-22-2009, 01:59 PM
It's too bad the carvan runners point up. That would be a better runner length where they come apart and then you could just make a plenum. I don't see it fitting into a P-body the way it is though

Thats what I was thinking.....even if you made a real short plenum, I think just the runners are too tall.

SoCalCSX
07-25-2009, 02:40 AM
Thats what I was thinking.....even if you made a real short plenum, I think just the runners are too tall.

If you want a caravan manifold I can get you one. It's pretty bare though, like you would need some of the hardware bit I'll sell it for cheap. PM me if you're interested.

Ondonti
07-25-2009, 02:53 AM
my vote is don't buy anything that looks like the magnus intake. Its been proven to be a dyno fraud that loses power over stock dsm intakes. Even if its better then chrysler, seems a waste of effort and money to get something that can't outdo a stock dsm.

Since I know some people have tried to run that crap on 420a's, don't repeat that mistake.

Jack's Dodge
08-01-2009, 04:10 PM
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/104/l_e81e5011f8684237b0ec72ad81cd6fd1.jpg
Extrude honed dohc neon intake manifold

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/73/l_90b13fc914874975b914d8644df0fb06.jpg
Manifold spacers from neongoodies.com

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/84/l_018d46965bc8421ebb132ae909c45fcc.jpg
Fuel injector humps removed

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/70/l_0dc10fbff9344483ad906a2a8b0d6970.jpg
Half shafted atx neon tb

Considering removing the 90* but not sure if the next neon will be n/a or turbo.

1FastCSX289
08-02-2009, 01:25 PM
NICE WORK!! Whats the deal with the spacers? Is that just for extra runner length and more torque on an N/A application?

t3rse
08-02-2009, 02:34 PM
plenum volume

Jack's Dodge
08-11-2009, 09:51 AM
http://www.neongoodies.com/Goodies/DOHC_Intake_Spacer/DOHC_Intake_Spacer.shtml

Thanks, but I bought it like that. The extrude honing service still runs about $400. Got it last yer for $140 shipped, and gave it a little extra work. Most just cut the neck off as I mentioned, for the straight through effect. Looks similar to the intake manifold on a spirit r/t, making the tb spacer semi useless. Just itching to run it just once. Have no car right now :(