PDA

View Full Version : 2.4 swap questions

Elgreco
07-18-2009, 07:58 PM
Hello guys, this is my first post on TM but I have been on TD.com for like 2 years. I'm swapping a 2.4 into my 86 t1 daytona. My first question is regarding the transmission. I will be running an automatic.
1.Should I grab a 87+ a413 or a neon 31th? I did some searching, and from what I read a neon tranny is stronger but has weaker planetaries.
2.Would my 86 turbo trans have the stronger planetaries that I can put in the neon trans?
3.Next is the trans mount. From what I have read the neon trans drops right in and uses the stock a413 mount, is this correct?
4.As for axles, I would have to grab later year big spline axles and they should bolt right on?
Any and all info is welcome. I'm looking at making somewhere around 300hp with a turbofold. I plan on rebuilding the trans and adding a rmvb and other mods, but I'm keeping the stock converter.

t3rse
07-19-2009, 01:52 AM
You want a 31th. Upgrades are pretty similar to the older 413 version. Older auto axles should work (assuming large spline).

turbovanmanČ
07-19-2009, 03:03 AM
The A413 and 31TH share the same internals except the 31 has a lock up or LU and most turbo 413's don't, not a big deal. You are correct on the planetary's but that's an easy fix and you should be doing a bunch of upgrades anyhow. Almost nothing in the 86 trans is usable. Go find a newer core to rob parts out of.

As for which case to use, the 31 would be the logical choice but you will have to fab up a mount as its not a direct bolt on IIRC, I can check on Monday to be 100% sure, PM me to remind me to check.

The 413 will bolt up but you'll have to do some mods so the 31 case is easier.

Just use 87 and up car axles, NON L body and if you should run some sort of LSD, either an OBX with a spacer or Peloquin which drops right in.

Elgreco
07-20-2009, 10:20 PM
Alright, I will go with the 31th. LSD will be a no go for now. I have about a 5k budget on the whole car to swap in a 2.4 with srt internals, megasquirt, and build the auto. It needs other little crap like brakes, gas lines, brake lines, new rack, and the floor has huge holes in it that need to be fixed. Although if it breaks down I can flinstone where I need to go.