PDA

View Full Version : Where go to get decent V-bands-ASAP.

turbovanmanČ
07-18-2009, 03:09 PM
My local suppliers want $93 for a friggin V-band. I see Ebay has some, any other leads, I need 2 sets for 3 inch pipe?

Turbo3Iroc
07-18-2009, 03:17 PM
Do you need the weld on flanges also? I think I got mine here, they used to be a vendor here.

http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog/flanges-v-bands-36/v-band-assemblies-103/

turbovanmanČ
07-18-2009, 03:23 PM
Do you need the weld on flanges also? I think I got mine here, they used to be a vendor here.

http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog/flanges-v-bands-36/v-band-assemblies-103/

Those are $50 US plus shipping, almost the same price, :(

I can get flanges for $14 locally, :nod:

Thanks for the link.

Mopar318
07-18-2009, 06:01 PM
Those are $50 US plus shipping, almost the same price, :(

I can get flanges for $14 locally, :nod:
Thanks for the link.

How is 50 plus shipping the same as 93? I wouldnt get flanges, and then the clamps from somewhere else. I have done that, and the flanges are machines to the clamp. Some of them use thicker or thinner flanges and the clamps dont work right.

turbovanmanČ
07-18-2009, 06:42 PM
How is 50 plus shipping the same as 93? I wouldnt get flanges, and then the clamps from somewhere else. I have done that, and the flanges are machines to the clamp. Some of them use thicker or thinner flanges and the clamps dont work right.

$50 US isn't $50 Canadian, then shipping and duty so yes, its close, or within $10, :(

Flanges, External wastegate flanges, not V-band flanges, ;)

jckrieger
07-18-2009, 10:20 PM
I get the V band clamps from work. Cost on a 2" clamp is about $4. Too bad I only have 2" clamps available :( I have a pile of about 30 clamps that have been torqued one time, never to be used again.

Mopar318
07-18-2009, 11:29 PM
$50 US isn't $50 Canadian, then shipping and duty so yes, its close, or within $10, :(

Flanges, External wastegate flanges, not V-band flanges, ;)

Ah, stupid duties.

There was a guy named wiertech or wiertech out of canada. He was on homemadeturbo.com and was a vendor. He does fab work and makes all sorts of flanges.

better yet here is the website.

http://weirtech.ca/

t3rse
07-19-2009, 01:47 AM
I don't know about up there, but at Parts Plus, which is the same as Car Quest, they had a tractor truck catalog that had v-bands for every diesel turbo you can get on a production truck, and flanges as well. They arrived next day. I ordered one specifically for the Holset turbo. The point being, is that you should locate a tractor truck supply and talk to them, whether it is a chain, or just a general repair shop.

turbovanmanČ
07-19-2009, 01:48 AM
I don't know about up there, but at Parts Plus, which is the same as Car Quest, they had a tractor truck catalog that had v-bands for every diesel turbo you can get on a production truck, and flanges as well. They arrived next day. I ordered one specifically for the Holset turbo.

I need the whole deal, band and flanges. Good idea though if I just need the band clamp.

t3rse
07-19-2009, 01:52 AM
That's what I said...they ordered both for me.

turbovanmanČ
07-19-2009, 02:10 AM
That's what I said...they ordered both for me.

Ok, I'll check it out. Sorry, missed the flanges part.

How much were they?

t3rse
07-19-2009, 02:15 AM
total was about 30$....about 15$ a piece...USD of course. This was almost a year ago, so I'm sure they'd be more expensive now.

jckrieger
07-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Check out the old mandrel bend vendor we used to have. They have both V band clamps and flanges for good prices. I think the website was mandrel-bends.com or something.

Captain Chaos
07-22-2009, 01:06 PM
There was a guy named wiertech or wiertech

:D So which is it?LOL

turbovanmanČ
07-22-2009, 01:47 PM
:D So which is it?LOL

Hahhaa, I missed that, :p

Ondonti
07-23-2009, 03:27 PM
as far as clamps go, the semi stuff looks a lot better then the clamps available from racing websites or ebay.

The ebay v band clamp that I have used forever came with very good flanges but the clamp is weak. When i torque it down enough to seal it starts deforming. I have some CAT v bands that are unfortunately probably 2.75" but they look soooooooo much stronger. Thats one thing I am paranoid about, make sure to buy quality clamps. I know some ebay ones are very good but how you find them, I don't know.

The ones with wussy 10mm nuts are not good. I had to replace the nut when it stripped out and then the new nut held but the clamp started deforming.

jckrieger
07-25-2009, 02:43 PM
I'm actually working on a research project for V band joint connections. Even the CAT, Clampco, and other high quality clamps loose a good portion of their clamping ability after 2-3 torque cycles. The CAT spec for a 1/4" threaded fastener on the V band is 7.5 Nm +/- 1Nm. You can go all the way up to 12Nm, but the clamp will yield even more, rendering it even more useless after fewer cycles.