PDA

View Full Version : Building PCV system, got questions...

Bubba
05-03-2006, 06:36 AM
For those that have an intake system(other than stock) and have install a line going to a catch can and then to the intake set-up, how close to the turbo inlet did you run your line into the intake piping? The reason I'm asking this is because I have a relatively long intake set-up and I ran the line just behind the filter and it doesn't have enough sucking power to pull the crankcase gases out.

Whorse
05-03-2006, 07:19 AM
Mine's about a foot from the filter, 2-3 feet from the turbo. It's kind of hard to explain, but it's not just the vacuum in the line pulling on the line from the crankcase. The velocity of air going through to your turbo from your air filter matters as well. As it speeds by the open nipple that connects to your PCV, it creates a pressure difference, which in turn draws the air out - venturi effect. Too close to your filter and the air won't be moving at a steady velocity as much because it's coming from all different parts of the filter. One of two feet into the line, and it's calmed down into a consistent path, even though it may be at the same speed and flow (remember velocity is speed and direction).

Bubba
05-03-2006, 07:47 AM
Yea, I didn't think about this when I installed the nipple, so I've got to redo the thing. Not a big deal though; just wanted someopinions from others that have the same set-up. Thanks!

Whorse
05-03-2006, 02:06 PM
Is it on a straight pipe or a minor bend that you could just turn around?

Bubba
05-03-2006, 03:44 PM
No, but I have extra piping and can just cut another piece for this bend and put my nipple on the piece up by the turbo.

5sp. mini
05-03-2006, 08:17 PM
make sure the catch can has a vent or you will blow i seal or in my case the cam plug oil everywhere. did you remove the diode to stop the lean running? al

Bubba
05-03-2006, 09:09 PM
Yea, I removed the diode. I figured that I won't need it once I get my cal installed. When you say a vent for the catch can, mine doesn't have one, it just has an inlet and outlet and a drain on the bottom.

5sp. mini
05-03-2006, 10:22 PM
your might be vented i was useing a oil jug and just ran the pcv line to the air box in the top . thats when it blew so i cut the top off and it worked fine.i have site or down load to use the 4000enchanced on the lab top. also why can i read a cd on my lab top think pad i thinki might not have a reader installed. al

unluckyty
05-04-2006, 07:16 AM
Mine is about 12"to14'" from the turbo, I am using a small air compresssor water separator, has been working great.

Greg

Bubba
05-04-2006, 07:57 AM
Do any of ya'll have some pictures of your set-up? Right now I just have it disconnected since I have to redo it anyways. I may mess with it this weekend, but if my cal comes in, then I'll be swapping injectors out etc... I also have an in-tank Walbro 255 pump sitting here I'd like to throw in.

tryingbe
05-04-2006, 09:29 AM
Hope your cal isn't from Paul.

Bubba
05-04-2006, 09:48 AM
Yes and it is suppose to ship out today, so I should have it tomorrow.