PDA

View Full Version : 300hp Omni radiator cooling

SpoolinGLH
05-03-2006, 01:17 AM
Is the stock radiator in the omni "efficient" enough for 300+hp. This will be my everyday driver in the summer and of course some 1/4 miles... I will not be autocrossing this car.... Also while waiting in the pits in downtime ill have my fan on....what do you guys think?

Tony Lane
05-03-2006, 02:07 AM
I think it will be just fine. Excuse my ignorance. But what's the difference between a daily driven 300 hp Omni, and a daily driving 200 hp Omni, assuming you're not beating the hell out of it . . . If you're driving it normally, and not taking it to redline off every red light? For casual driving purposes, and the occasional track pass, I don't see why the stock radiator wouldn't be fine.

SpoolinGLH
05-03-2006, 02:08 AM
my thoughts exactly...:nod:

GLHSKEN
05-03-2006, 06:13 AM
Stock is fine

iTurbo
05-03-2006, 07:34 PM
I'm using the stock radiator on my 200+ WHP Omni GLH Turbo and it works great. It's a stock copper/brass replacement radiator made by Modine.

My cooling system consists of:
Stock radiator, moved 3" toward passenger side and 1" closer to engine
180' thermostat with 1/16" hole drilled at 12 o'clock
Mr. Gasket 14" electric low-profile radiator fan
Custom sheetmetal fan shroud made by local heating/AC company
50/50 antifreeze/water mix with a bottle of Redline water wetter

I also have a large NPR mounted in a sandwhich configuration with the stock radiator. The IC covers the entire radiator. However, the NPR is only 2" thick and the external fins are not very dense so air passes through it much easier than the 1" thick A/C condensor that used to sit there.

cordes
05-03-2006, 09:18 PM
I will be making a fan shroud for my omni tomorrow, as the fan that I have in there is not able to keep up now that the spearco is blocking most all of the rad and the temps are getting higher.

Russ Jerome
05-03-2006, 11:04 PM
Never dynoed my street tired burnout machine but 120mph trap
speeds and #2560+ should qualify for the question:

Stock (used/old) radiator worked fine even behind a triple
core IC that hid most of the air with end tanks. Fabricate a
decent shroud, I like the Slimline steel bladed fan on dedicated
switch (free! thanks Tom).

Ground Rat
05-05-2006, 10:52 PM

That's a great idea. How much did that run you?

iTurbo
05-05-2006, 11:03 PM
They charged me about $75 which I thought was kind of expensive at the time but it works. Probably the biggest reason i got the shroud made was to provide mounting provisions for the fan. When I first mounted the fan, I mounted it with the plastic zip ties that came with it. This worked OK, but after about six months the zip ties would loosen up and cause the ties to rub into the radiator core causing leaks. Now the fan bolts to the shroud and no more problems.

WVRampage
05-06-2006, 12:55 PM
Im usint the stock HD rad in my rampage and I cant remember what I took the fan out of but it will run a little cool on the free way like 170.

finallall
05-06-2006, 09:51 PM
OK wouldn't the heat from the rad blow onto the IC and kinda ruin the efficiency? I think a more efficient rad is a better idea than going with a more efficient fan? After all you spend some $$$ on a nice FMIC why not spend it on a good rad too?

Just my 2 cents. :nod:

iTurbo
05-07-2006, 03:01 AM
On my setup, the intercooler is mounted in front of the radiator. I think an aluminum radiator for my car would be money down the drain.

JMotorsprt
07-20-2006, 02:46 AM
I'm using the stock radiator on my 200+ WHP Omni GLH Turbo and it works great. It's a stock copper/brass replacement radiator made by Modine.

My cooling system consists of:
Stock radiator, moved 3" toward passenger side and 1" closer to engine
180' thermostat with 1/16" hole drilled at 12 o'clock
Mr. Gasket 14" electric low-profile radiator fan
50/50 antifreeze/water mix with a bottle of Redline water wetter

I also have a large NPR mounted in a sandwhich configuration with the stock radiator. The IC covers the entire radiator. However, the NPR is only 2" thick and the external fins are not very dense so air passes through it much easier than the 1" thick A/C condensor that used to sit there.

Can you post pics?

I'm too tired to explain my situation, but I might be going back to stock with a FMIC.

Are there any aftermarket radiators available that work from places such as Jegs or Summit Racing?