PDA

View Full Version : Truck Dies Randomly

bfarroo
07-16-2009, 10:52 PM
My 2.5 turbo dakota has been dying randomly lately. I have narowed it down to an electrical issue that is killing the spark. The truck wiring is a combination of a 88 TII SMEC harness layed over a 95 dakota harness. I swapped in a new HEP as that was my first guess but that didn't fix it. It never throws a code other than a 12. I've swapped in a known good SMEC I've cleaned all of the fuel rail grounds and connections and checked all of the harness connections including those at the SMEC and Fuel injector harness. Fuel pressure is good and when it won't start the fuel pump does prime. I did swap out the ASD relay just in case. I've checked the cap, wires and rotor and they are only 2 years old and look ok. I'm planning on doing a ohm test on the HEP connectors to the SMEC and possibly replacing the coil although it has a strong spark when it does work. When I did the wiring any of the splices were soldered and heat shrunk. I checked the shutters of the distributor also and they are tight. Any Suggestions?

Turbodave
07-16-2009, 11:50 PM
Are you still running the 95 coil and associated wiring?

I remember that truck being in my garage one night for a random stalling issue that was fixed by wiggling the plug going into the coil.

minigts
07-17-2009, 12:29 AM
I would replace the coil regardless and see what happens. It's only $13 or so and good to have the spare anyways. :)

bfarroo
07-17-2009, 08:33 PM
Yeah it's still the stock 95 coil and associated wiring. I'll probably check the wiring and replace the coil tomorrow. It's never thrown a code for the HEP which they don't always do but it's never done it yet which makes me think it's some thing other than the wiring associated with it.