PDA

View Full Version : Dropped the motor out of the daytona

jory
07-16-2009, 08:59 PM
This is the first time I pulled a motor this way. I unbolted it from the transmission and disconnected everything then lifted the car, put a jack under the oil pan and unbolted the driver side mount. It came out of the transmission with a little pulling from over the fender and set on the ground nicely, lol :D
My turbo engine is at the machine shop right now getting new exhaust studs as one of them broke off in the head and it doesn't need a HG just yet. That leaves me with some time to degrease and wire wheel the small spots of surface rust and paint it so it looks as nice under there as the rest of the car. My new rack & pinion will be going in there as well and after the paint is dry I will run the wires. I still have to modify my Garrett but I have everything else ready to go.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d75/jvory/89%20Daytona%20ES/FILE0010.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d75/jvory/89%20Daytona%20ES/FILE0009.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d75/jvory/89%20Daytona%20ES/FILE0003-1.jpg

turbokid
07-16-2009, 11:27 PM
I always found it easier to pull both motor and trans cause mating them back up can always be interesting in car but nice work.
Love the paint work on the valve cover and intake forsure!

jory
07-17-2009, 01:49 AM
I don't think it will be too bad as long as I put a jack under the tranny. if I have to I may get a load leveler from harbor freight. I have always taken the transmission out first but this time I don't have a reason to. The 520 is staying in there until i decide to make further upgrades or whatever. For the time being stock shelby z setup will be fine. it is pretty much going to be a z clone only with a 84 2.2 w/782 head, stock rad/ic setup, a520 and shelby/hd suspension parts.

supercrackerbox
07-17-2009, 03:48 AM
Oh yeah, if you can get the car high enough, dropping out the bottom is a piece of cake.

turbokid
07-17-2009, 10:38 PM
Jack stands FTW =)

jory
07-20-2009, 04:53 PM
The new steering rack is in and I cleaned the engine bay up some more. I also took out the tranny, installed my clutch and bolted the trans to the engine. I swapped in a turbo roller cam and put the manifolds on the motor. Today I spent some time with the bench grinder and modified the housing on my Garrett. I'm only waiting for my compressor cover adapter and gasket and the oil drain gasket then the motor is ready to drop in. I stripped the power steering pressure line of course, when have I not had a problem with that damn line.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d75/jvory/89%20Daytona%20ES/FILE0001.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d75/jvory/89%20Daytona%20ES/FILE0007.jpg

turbovanmanČ
07-20-2009, 05:07 PM
I don't think it will be too bad as long as I put a jack under the tranny. if I have to I may get a load leveler from harbor freight. I have always taken the transmission out first but this time I don't have a reason to. The 520 is staying in there until i decide to make further upgrades or whatever. For the time being stock shelby z setup will be fine. it is pretty much going to be a z clone only with a 84 2.2 w/782 head, stock rad/ic setup, a520 and shelby/hd suspension parts.

Your compression will be higher so becareful, the 84 should have had a G-head on so using those pistons with a swirl head will up the compression.

Nice work, its always nice to see how much better things look clean, :thumb:

jory
07-20-2009, 07:53 PM
Yep I know the compression is a little bit higher with the swirl. I ran it at 14 psi in my old T1 laser and it always ran awesome. I think this is a pretty good combo actually, as long as I'm careful with the tuning the higher compression will probably help make more power with less boost. :thumb:

I sold the old 2.5 on CL yesterday too about 5 minutes after I posted the ad :eyebrows:

turbovanmanČ
07-20-2009, 07:56 PM
Yep I know the compression is a little bit higher with the swirl. I ran it at 14 psi in my old T1 laser and it always ran awesome. I think this is a pretty good combo actually, as long as I'm careful with the tuning the higher compression will probably help make more power with less boost. :thumb:

I sold the old 2.5 on CL yesterday too about 5 minutes after I posted the ad :eyebrows:

Yeah, it will run a bit nicer. Just figured I'd throw it out there incase you didn't know, ;)

turbokid
07-21-2009, 08:12 PM
Thats awesome.
Craigslist is amazing

Vigo
07-23-2009, 01:46 PM
WHAT?!? you can SELL tbi motors?! holy crap i coulda been rich by now.... :/

jory
07-24-2009, 01:10 AM
LOL, surprised me too! I let it go pretty cheap just to get rid of it. The last thing I need is another motor sitting around.
I ordered my oil drain and compressor housing gaskets yesterday. And my t1-t2 adapter is going to be finished tomorrow. I've got to show that thing to you all. Once the gaskets come in I can bolt up the turbo and drop the motor in. Then I got to swap the fuel pump & rear springs, install my RF control arm and figure out what wires go to the MAP sensor in that cut up mess. Where can I buy some control arm bushings? I tried Fisher and Parts Plus and neither of them showed anything.

135sohc
07-24-2009, 01:39 AM
WHAT?!? you can SELL tbi motors?! holy crap i coulda been rich by now.... :/

CB 2.2 cast cranks and their matching oil pans are made of gold apparently.

supercrackerbox
07-24-2009, 04:01 AM
CB 2.2 cast cranks and their matching oil pans are made of gold apparently.

Blocks work great too if you drill the oil return. That's what my bottom end is. ;)

135sohc
07-25-2009, 12:27 AM
Blocks work great too if you drill the oil return. That's what my bottom end is. ;)

Yeah alot of people are quick to discredit a TBI longblock cause its a TBI.

Nevermind the fact that 90% of the parts are the same between both...

supercrackerbox
07-25-2009, 12:35 AM
Yep. New rods and pistons and she's ready to rock.

jory
07-25-2009, 03:09 AM
You could build one hell of a frankenstein thats for sure. Finding a common block 2.5 turbo isn't that hard though. I need this thing running like now, i am jonesin for it. waiting for minor parts sucks. I might register it with custom plates when I get back from vacation next week. INNRFEER would be pretty awesome and it is available too.

jory
07-28-2009, 12:39 AM
Gaskets came in today so I reclocked the T1 turbo and put my adapter on it. I went to the junkyard and found a turbo lebaron, thank the mopar gods. Got a like new power steering line off it and hopefully all the connectors that I was missing. I hoisted the motor in, the hardest part is done now.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d75/jvory/89%20Daytona%20ES/FILE0006.jpg

Vigo
07-28-2009, 08:34 PM
looking good! im working on my second-ever tbi-turbo swap and hope to have it running soon as well! im in about the same place as you.

turbokid
07-28-2009, 11:40 PM
Wow awesome!
Keep up the good work :thumb:
When I work on my stuff I have a j-yard out back to get any parts I'm missing lmao so its always easier to work on my cars

jory
07-29-2009, 03:52 PM
It's coming along pretty well in between work and personal junk. Last night I dropped the fuel tank and got the almost-new turbo fuel pump all sealed up. I replaced the fuel filter and put the shelby springs in while I was under there, and also attacked some surface rust with a wire brush and rust-o-leum. I can't complain about buying parts because I think so far I have spent about $100 in parts. I had most of the parts already including the brand new firm feel rack & pinion.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d75/jvory/89%20Daytona%20ES/FILE00062.jpg

jory
08-10-2009, 08:53 PM
i got back home from vacation yesterday and went right to work on the daytona. I put fluids in it and bolted up the downpipe and she fired right up. runs awesome but one problem plagues me.
When the engine is running it is really hard to put in gear. If I start it in gear the clutch reaches the friction point normally and feels good but it acts as if the clutch isn't fully disengaging. I hope I don't have to do a clutch swap!! Is it bad to use a large spline pressure plate? I wanted to use my nearly brand new TIII plate I got from TU so that is what I did.

jory
08-10-2009, 09:11 PM
open downpipe video, enjoy :thumb:
http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d75/jvory/89%20Daytona%20ES/?action=view&current=FILE0001-1.flv

supercrackerbox
08-11-2009, 12:18 AM
i got back home from vacation yesterday and went right to work on the daytona. I put fluids in it and bolted up the downpipe and she fired right up. runs awesome but one problem plagues me.
When the engine is running it is really hard to put in gear. If I start it in gear the clutch reaches the friction point normally and feels good but it acts as if the clutch isn't fully disengaging. I hope I don't have to do a clutch swap!! Is it bad to use a large spline pressure plate? I wanted to use my nearly brand new TIII plate I got from TU so that is what I did.

Shouldn't be an issue; the TII/TIII hybrid clutch is actually a pretty common upgrade. That's what I have in my Charger.

Did you check the adjustment on your clutch cable and shifter cables after the install?

jory
08-15-2009, 11:55 PM
Its got to be the pressure plate. I only drove it a little bit and idled it. Hardly enough to put a load on the clutch. I'll try some driving once I get it registered. I can change out the plate if I have to. should have took care of the paperwork sooner, lol. It is running perfectly and I cant drive it. I installed a shelby z computer so now it is running even better than the 88 t1 automatic computer. It has a code for the air temp sensor but thats it. Needs exhaust and 4 matching wheels. I think the 15" turbo blades I have would look cool.

jory
08-26-2009, 01:10 AM
I found a stock boost gauge at the junkyard and put it in, it reads about 15 vac at idle and wanted to go over 15psi while I was driving it! I got ballsy and hit boost cut out one time, then it threw a CEL and I parked it. Got codes 13 and 23 and it is running rough, I'm wondering if I have the WG solenoid hooked up wrong. I know I had the pcv wrong after I blew the hose off and got oil all over the timing belt. It was a good time trying not to blow it up!

jory
08-30-2009, 02:16 AM
vacuum stuff is sorted out and looking clean. I'm going to thread the shaft on my WG actuator to control boost. My exhaust came in today as well. It will be 2.5" all the way with a glasspack after the downpipe. I am having this shop that does good custom work weld it up and I might just have them put a stock truck muffler on it to make it nice and quiet. I don't feel like dealing with any BS.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d75/jvory/89%20Daytona%20ES/FILE00093.jpg