85shelbycharger
07-16-2009, 03:22 PM
$13 - $15k?

TopDollar69
07-16-2009, 03:34 PM
I would guess $10k-$12k.

neonsox
07-16-2009, 03:46 PM
We've been through this on another thread, but I'll bite... again.

These cars aren't worth anything outside of these forums. They are barely respected or even known about for the most part. So out "there", I'd say maybe $3-4k. In the TM groups and circles, maybe it would fetch $7-8k. All of that probably changes when Shelby passes away (morbid, but look at Jacko stuff these days).

Not only that, but these cars are awesome bang-for-the-buck cars and the owner demographic doesn't consist of a lot of big spenders - like say, the BMW guys or the Ferrari types. Most are trying to squeeze out power without going too overboard, and notice I said most. Like any community, there are those that take things to another level, and where would we be without them?

So I don't think that even a GLHS, which is considered to be the top of the barrel of these cars, would pull astronomical numbers. At least not right now anyway. Maybe down the road a bit.

contraption22
07-16-2009, 03:59 PM
^^^ what he said.

It's worth what it sells for. It's not a high profile, high demand car like a Hemi Cude or an L88 Vette that has big demand and short supply, and precidents of high selling prices at collectors auctions. Even tho there are very few '86 GLHS's, there are far more cars than people willing to spend big bucks for them.

168glhs1986
07-16-2009, 04:46 PM
We've been through this on another thread, but I'll bite... again.

Not only that, but these cars are awesome bang-for-the-buck cars and the owner demographic doesn't consist of a lot of big spenders - like say, the BMW guys or the Ferrari types. Most are trying to squeeze out power without going too overboard, and notice I said most. Like any community, there are those that take things to another level, and where would we be without them?

So I don't think that even a GLHS, which is considered to be the top of the barrel of these cars, would pull astronomical numbers. At least not right now anyway. Maybe down the road a bit.

Very well said. Thanks for your opinion.

168glhs1986
07-16-2009, 04:51 PM
$13 - $15k?

This is exactly where I had it pegged. I know what I paid for mine, we know what Marcus paid for his...granted that was a different time when borrowing money was as easy.

turbovanmanČ
07-16-2009, 04:58 PM
I love these cars but I don't think I could spend $12-$15K on one, no matter in what shape its in.

168glhs1986
07-16-2009, 05:00 PM
It's worth what it sells for

So no matter what I paid, that's what the car is worth in the market place? I disagree with that. There are such things as good buys or bad buys.

omni_840
07-16-2009, 05:06 PM
I actually think it depends mainly on market conditions. For example when I bought my GLH in 07 I paid 3K for it and now I see just as nice of examples for half that.:confused2:

85shelbycharger
07-16-2009, 05:29 PM
If this is what I was looking for, my previous estimate is what I'd pay.

168glhs1986
07-16-2009, 05:29 PM
I love these cars but I don't think I could spend $12-$15K on one, no matter in what shape its in.

So let's say someone buys this car for 13k. Do you think it will appreciate in value after Carroll passes away?

Do you think these cars will EVER (even 10 years from now) be a more main stream collector car?

turbovanmanČ
07-16-2009, 05:51 PM
So let's say someone buys this car for 13k. Do you think it will appreciate in value after Carroll passes away?

Do you think these cars will EVER (even 10 years from now) be a more main stream collector car?

No, honestly I don't. If it wasn't for us, I doubt they'd be this many kicking around, they'd have been crushed or just past around until they fell apart, :(

Chad T
07-16-2009, 07:16 PM
7500 miles is ridiculously low so I'd say 13k wouldn't be unreasonable. Not a steal but a fair price. There is one that's been for sale forever with 13,000 miles for 17k and it's not selling. These cars seem to be holding steady in the 8-10k range with really low miles cars going a bit higher and really rough ones going for much less. Doubt it will go up much but probably won't go down much either if the miles are kept low.

CoolV300C
07-16-2009, 08:14 PM
With times like they are, many of us have lost more in our 401K over the last year than what this car is worth. Given that, paying 13K for it is a steal considering what I got for the loss in value in my savings. Swuat.

I would put my savings under the mattress, and buy this for $13K in a heartbeat if I had the room and call myself ahead.

Depending how bad one would need to lose the car, I wouldn't let it go for under 10K, especially considering the increased demand (slightly increased) that will come when Shelby passes.

168glhs1986
07-16-2009, 09:02 PM
With times like they are, many of us have lost more in our 401K over the last year than what this car is worth. Given that, paying 13K for it is a steal considering what I got for the loss in value in my savings. Swuat.

I would put my savings under the mattress, and buy this for $13K in a heartbeat if I had the room and call myself ahead.

Depending how bad one would need to lose the car, I wouldn't let it go for under 10K, especially considering the increased demand (slightly increased) that will come when Shelby passes.

I agree with you. It's a safe investment if you have a spare 13k laying around.

contraption22
07-16-2009, 09:04 PM
So no matter what I paid, that's what the car is worth in the market place? I disagree with that. There are such things as good buys or bad buys.

Well you can say the car is worth $25k, $50k, or $1mil. But is it really worth that much if the best offer you get is $10k?

168glhs1986
07-16-2009, 09:18 PM
No, honestly I don't. If it wasn't for us, I doubt they'd be this many kicking around, they'd have been crushed or just past around until they fell apart, :(

The word is only getting louder about the Shelby Dodges and these cars are loved by a lot more people than you think. I took a High Performance Driving Education class at Summit Point back in May. There were a handful of Lotus's, Porsches, Ferarris, Vettes, etc...and you know who's car was voted "coolest". You guessed it, the GLHS.

Look what happened when FORZA12 took his GLHS to Cars and Coffee a few months back. The founder of the event could not stop talking about his GLHS when he was surrounded by nothing but 100k + cars.

Now does interest directly translate to dollars? Not yet but IMO it will. Carroll Shelby only touched a handful of cars and soon, especially when Dodge cars are no longer being made, the bastard label these cars received will be long forgotten and they will be treated for what they are, a piece Carooll Shelby, automotive history.

superbleu
07-16-2009, 09:28 PM
Ok lets get it out in the open I'm a geezer!! But I have heard this argument before....in the early 80's....substitute Cuda, Challenger, Duster or Charger for GLHS. At that point in time they were worthless turds...In allot of peoples opinion. You could buy them all day long for $500. 340's 383's 440's ...Hemis were always tuff, but even those were there for $2500 or so. I know because I bought them. Everybody thought I was nuts for dealing with "those POS". The only people who gave a crap about them were the hard core "Mopar Guys". My point is, eventually even some of the most obscure cars become "collectible"...who would have ever thought a Duster would be worth $30k...I mean really!! :D 86 GLHS 9 to 11k for a #1. MHO.

168glhs1986
07-16-2009, 09:35 PM
Well you can say the car is worth $25k, $50k, or $1mil. But is it really worth that much if the best offer you get is $10k?

Yes, I agree with that. If the car was offered for sale in a public forum such as ebay, autotrader, this website, etc...then the best offer would dictate the car's market value.

However, if the sale of a car took place out of the public eye, then it's possible to purchase a car and not know what market value really is.

So to really answer my question, I would have to ask what's the most anyone has paid for a car similar to the one described. Then consider other factors like how was the economy, did they overpay, etc...

So maybe I should rephrase the question to:

What are the three highest sale prices of a low milage 1986 GLHS and when did the sales transaction take place?

168glhs1986
07-16-2009, 09:42 PM
Ok lets get it out in the open I'm a geezer!! But I have heard this argument before....in the early 80's....substitute Cuda, Challenger, Duster or Charger for GLHS. At that point in time they were worthless turds...In allot of peoples opinion. You could buy them all day long for $500. 340's 383's 440's ...Hemis were always tuff, but even those were there for $2500 or so. I know because I bought them. Everybody thought I was nuts for dealing with "those POS". The only people who gave a crap about them were the hard core "Mopar Guys". My point is, eventually even some of the most obscure cars become "collectible"...who would have ever thought a Duster would be worth $30k...I mean really!! :D 86 GLHS 9 to 11k for a #1. MHO.

Thank you, that's what I'm talking about. Hopefully you held onto some of these cars and took advantage of that appreciation.

9-11k for a #1, I think that's a fairly accurate reflection of where the market for this type of car is today.

86Shelby
07-16-2009, 09:49 PM
I would not have any problem spending 10-15k on one in that shape. I've seen one in person in the shape you describe, though it had original tires and about 1,000 fewer miles.

Chad T
07-16-2009, 09:56 PM
What are the three highest sale prices of a low milage 1986 GLHS and when did the sales transaction take place?

That would be some interesting info. Doesn't seem like the real low miles cars get traded often? At least not very publicly.

contraption22
07-16-2009, 10:00 PM
The more I read this thread, the more I think you are looking for the answers you want to hear than honest answers to your questions.

168glhs1986
07-16-2009, 10:50 PM
The more I read this thread, the more I think you are looking for the answers you want to hear than honest answers to your questions.

Sure I'm partial to answers that mimic my own opinion as we all are, but I respect and listen to all opinions. Although I respect your honest answers, you have never really answered my question. "Cars are worth what they are sold for" is not always the case.

I purchased a rare 1991 Galant VR4 in 2007 for $1500.00 in Washington DC from the original owner who had moved to Europe. Then sold two weeks later on Ebay for a $1800.00 profit. That Galant was not worth what I had paid for it, it was obviously worth $3,300.00 when put on the open market.

168glhs1986
07-16-2009, 10:59 PM
That would be some interesting info. Doesn't seem like the real low miles cars get traded often? At least not very publicly.

Yea, I know. There is zippy data on low milage GLHS's....if it were a #1 1963 Vette where 15 had just sold at Mecum Auctions the week before, all I would have to do is research previous sales to get my answers.

Because there is no data to support the sales of low milage GLHS's the only way IMO to gauge potential market value is to ask the Turbo Dodge community.

168glhs1986
07-16-2009, 11:02 PM
I would not have any problem spending 10-15k on one in that shape. I've seen one in person in the shape you describe, though it had original tires and about 1,000 fewer miles.

That's interesting. Do you have any more information on this car? Number? Location, etc...

168glhs1986
07-16-2009, 11:21 PM

BTW - can we take your motor and drivetrain out of your car and put it into mine? :hail:

GLHS592
07-16-2009, 11:23 PM

This guy nailed it. Will a GLHS ever be worth $30k? There are guys paying that kind of money for dumber stuff. I've heard of people paying big bucks for Aspens and Volares.

turbokid
07-16-2009, 11:35 PM
I have seen some nice cars sell really cheap lately.
But Carrol Shelby is the longest living heart transplant patient so I have a heavy heart in saying his days are probably numbered.
My guess is there will be a spike in anything named Shelby after he dies then prices will settle down.
I would pay 12k for a car in this condition. Although my dads 87 with 42k unrestored always garaged cant fetch 8k. But thats a lil off topic.

168glhs1986
07-16-2009, 11:52 PM
Carrol Shelby is the longest living heart transplant patient

:cheer2:

ShelbyTC16v
07-17-2009, 12:07 AM
I would expect to pay a minimum of 10K for said car.

contraption22
07-17-2009, 06:38 AM
BTW - can we take your motor and drivetrain out of your car and put it into mine? :hail:

There'd be some cutting involved. It would certainly detract from the value :)

89FerrariShelby
07-17-2009, 07:14 AM
As a nice low miles car, its worth a fair penny.

But as someone else said, unfortunately, these cars aren't coveted, or even respected that much outside of the niche we have here. Even with the anticipated spike at Shelby's death, i think you'll definetly see that in the Mustangs, but not so much here.

If the Shelby Mustang was Shelby's firstborn Son, the Dodge cars are his bastard children with his mistress. It sucks to say, but its true. When these were designed, they were meant to be an economical way to go fast, the cars were never that expensive to begin with. Unfortunately they're still looked at that way today.

I can't even count the number of times I've gotten some variation of "Does your wife know you stole her car?" from people. I get a good laugh when i blow their Camaro/Firebird/Corvette 's doors off, but its still annoying, and that kind of attitude is prevalent in the market.

I think the originality will help your value, (meaning how original the car is) but i wouldn't go over 7-8k and i like those cars....

Oh....and to the guy that said stuffing money under the mattress is a better investment (and buying this). That's why the market exists...its a risk. But over 40 years, my 13k i put in the market will be worth far more than the car you buy for 13k instead... there's always a downturn, but it always goes up over time!!!!!

neonsox
07-17-2009, 09:15 AM
If the Shelby Mustang was Shelby's firstborn Son, the Dodge cars are his bastard children with his mistress. It sucks to say, but its true. When these were designed, they were meant to be an economical way to go fast, the cars were never that expensive to begin with. Unfortunately they're still looked at that way today.

And there it is in a nutshell. Love can be blinding but the fact remains that when I tell people I have a Shelby, they think I own a Ford. Then I hit them with the "1987" part and the puzzled look isn't far behind. Unless they have a wide knowledge of automotive history, people generally don't know about these cars. In fact, at Carlisle, I could hear people (Mopar people no less) say "Shelby Lancer? I didn't know they made a Shelby Lancer." as I drove off the fairgrounds.

Having said all that though, when I explain the legend a little bit they tend to think the car is really cool. Most people remember the 80's Chrysler cars - that is, if they were around to remember them (I was a child myself) - as being low horsepower pieces of crap. They think of K-cars and SOHC technology when in fact these very cars revolutionized the economy segment. Now we have Evo's and WRX's and Mazda3's... It all started with the turbocharged Chryslers of the 80's.

168glhs1986
07-17-2009, 10:43 AM
In fact, at Carlisle, I could hear people (Mopar people no less) say "Shelby Lancer? I didn't know they made a Shelby Lancer." as I drove off the fairgrounds.

Having said all that though, when I explain the legend a little bit they tend to think the car is really cool.

There in lies the double edge sword. Will it be a widely regarded collectible 10 years from now because of it's relative obscurity OR will it continue to fly uner the radar 10 years from now?

I am certain that because people like you attend shows like Carlysle the word is spreading to the masses and is only going to drive interest up.

turbokid
07-17-2009, 10:50 AM
Didnt say it will be a big huge price jump like the mustangs will see but I think if its got a shelby name on it or even shelby inspired (Viper) you will see a price rise (even if its minute)

ShelbyTC16v
07-17-2009, 11:01 AM
There in lies the double edge sword. Will it be a widely regarded collectible 10 years from now because of it's relative obscurity OR will it continue to fly uner the radar 10 years from now?

I am certain that because people like you attend shows like Carlysle the word is spreading to the masses and is only going to drive interest up.

I've been spreading the word for over 20 years and unfortunately, I haven't seen a difference. Even when Shelby's history is shown on TV, very, very rarely is the Dodge years mentioned. It's like the media doesn't know we exsist or they don't want us to. I carry the attitude that I have for years with "they don't know what they're missing".

89FerrariShelby
07-17-2009, 11:18 AM
The big problem as far as driving up value is the fact that there are so many non-shelby models. Yes i have a Shelby Daytona...and maybe only so many thousands were made (not the best example of a rare shelby), but even if it was a rare shelby...there were 10's to 100's of thousands of stock non-shelby versions made...and they're not that hard to convert.

Sure they weren't original shelby's...but unless you wrapped yours in bubble wrap and didn't move it...no one cares (and they probably don't anyways).

These cars may one day be rare as from the factory shelby's...but the T-M will never be rare, unless you can live for a thousand years. These are not a good invenstment if you're looking for $$$

With that being said, i wouldn't trade my Daytona for any amount of $$$. I love the thing, and people really don't know what they're missing. I just learned a long time ago (relative) to be realistic about the money aspect of this.

neonsox
07-17-2009, 11:26 AM
I've owned various TM's because I like them. It's not for anybody else. I consider it an investment but I don't expect it to mature that much and I'm not treating it like say a coin collector treats coins. It's a "sunday car" to me. Some people, they race them at the strip, pour money into parts and porting and that's all fine, but it's not me. Sure I'll run it just to see where it's at, but I don't have 11 second goals with this particular car. I don't have the time or money to pour into just one of a few hobbies I have.

On the other hand, I'm not one to build a shrine to the car or jet home when it rains. I can see that point of view but I realized that it was pretty ridiculous when I spotted a Lambo in a snowy parking lot in January.

turbokid
07-17-2009, 12:45 PM
Yup. My gf still wonders why I search craigslist for grandma cars, crappy sports cars and old convertibles.
Doubt I will ever get my money outa any of my cars and I dont expect to. It would be nice if they were worth more value wise then people might have a little more appreciation for the car but if they dont thats fine.
It is what it is.

168glhs1986
07-17-2009, 12:50 PM
I can see that point of view but I realized that it was pretty ridiculous when I spotted a Lambo in a snowy parking lot in January.

It's all relative. I know some Ferrari owners that treat their car like crap. When it breaks or needs major service, they may just trade it in, take the 50k loss and buy a new one.

My favorite car collector lives nearby to me. Bill Marriott Jr. He has MANY priceless cars, including one off racing ferrari's, Pebble Beach Concours winners, a 7 million dollar 1 of 6 Daytona Coupe. Guess what....he drives them all!

Now for me....I drive my 42k original mile GLHS around the track, beat it up, then take it home and show it some love. I daily drove a 1987 Porsche 911 for years, trust me, you don't want to get caught in a even a snow dusting in that car, I couldn't even make it out of a flat parking lot!

But I'd have to say, when I buy this low mile car, It will not be driven...not because it's priceless, but because it's rare and not replacable. Anyone can wreck a Enzo and buy another one just like it. But not a GLHS!

86Shelby
07-17-2009, 03:37 PM
That's interesting. Do you have any more information on this car? Number? Location, etc...

#326. Nebraska. Thanks for reminding me, I've been meaning to upload the other pics after the personal info, VIN, Plates, etc. was covered.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=727

168glhs1986
07-17-2009, 09:32 PM
#326. Nebraska. Thanks for reminding me, I've been meaning to upload the other pics after the personal info, VIN, Plates, etc. was covered.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=727

Sweet, thanks for sharing those pics. I can't post pics of my new car but I'll attach them to my car domain page soon.

Marcus86GLHS
07-18-2009, 05:15 AM
".....Let's assume, hypothetically speaking, that the car described below does exist. Whats it worth?

1986 GLHS
7,500 original miles
All original car
Does NOT have original tires.
Garaged all it's life
Mint Condition
............................................."

great discussion.

this is easily a $10,000 car but i could see a fair transaction at $12,000-$14,000 assuming a well educated seller and buyer and a truely "mint" example.

and btw, even $14,000 is chump change for any type of collectable car when you step back and look at the hobby as a whole and what collectable cars in general are selling for let alone what some people have spent restoring and/or modifying/repairing their cars.

can you post pix of the car?

turbojerk
07-18-2009, 09:49 AM
Not trying to rock-da-boat here, but I piad $7k for this car with only 16k miles.... I know that's about twice the mileage, but it's not a $10k+ difference.

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/7843/picturescd360a.jpg

CoolV300C
07-18-2009, 10:16 AM
Not trying to rock-da-boat here, but I piad $7k for this car with only 16k miles.... I know that's about twice the mileage, but it's not a $10k+ difference.

That is indeed a steal. Awesome car too. Doesn't make others worth less though. The car is worth 10-15 if someone is willing to pay it. And I bet somewhere there is. When I shop for clothes, if the rack doesn't have a sale sign on top, I keep walking. Doesn't mean that anyone who does buy a shirt full price is crazy, or that the shirt isn't worth it.

On another point, thank goodness for the people who do baby their cars. They are as much a part of what makes this community greatas the racers are. It takes all kinds. And thanks to them, we've all got something to drool over and turn into wallpapers;);)

168glhs1986
07-18-2009, 06:46 PM

You did steal that car Troy, IMO you got about a 20% discount. You should give Mr. Pappas another $3k just based on the awards you've won over the past month!:thumb:

168glhs1986
07-18-2009, 07:04 PM
[QUOTE

and btw, even $14,000 is chump change for any type of collectable car when you step back and look at the hobby as a whole and what collectable cars in general are selling for let alone what some people have spent restoring and/or modifying/repairing their cars.

can you post pix of the car?[/QUOTE]

Good point Marcus. For example, I paid 9k for my car, then have put another 6k into it getting it ready for the track, tinkering around, etc... If this car was bought for 12k and not a dime was put into it after that, I'd consider that well bought.

A few pictures have been added to car #168's site, you can check them out here.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3243575

Chad T
07-18-2009, 08:36 PM
Man that car looks cherry! Post up some more pics.

turbokid
07-19-2009, 12:02 AM
Gorgeous =)

Marcus86GLHS
07-19-2009, 05:07 AM
wow. that car IS mint. you gotta post pix of every square inch of this car.

congrats, very smartly bought.

neonsox
07-19-2009, 10:01 AM
I paid just over $2k for my SL, had 86.5k on it when I drove it home. I have since tacked on 2k driving to meets and whatnot, but it's won a few trophies and driving it is just plain fun. It won't see many more miles though as I've decided that enough is enough for this year. Only local meets from here on out and we'll see about next year...

ohlarikd
09-25-2009, 01:03 PM
When I was in high school, the 1970 Challenger and Cuda were already 17 years old. They were already sought after classics (granted, not like today's crazy $300K prices), and they were known, respected, and sought after by everyone. Now the 84 Daytona is 25 years old, and the 87 GLHS is 22 years old. But outside this circle, it seems like they are not in the same league that the 60/70's cars were in the late 80s. If that makes sense. If you drove a 70 Cuda in the street in 1995 everyone notices. If you drive a Shelby Charger today, very few will notice. I think that factor equates a lot to price. I am not saying that I can pinpoint a reason, but it seems to be a fact.

I would wager that 'front wheel drive' is the killer in any long term investment opportunity. I can't think of any front wheel drive cars that garner big bucks. But for me, that is great, so I can buy my beloved TMs and not go bankrupt. I can enjoy what I enjoy.

Derek

superbleu
09-25-2009, 08:27 PM
When I was in high school, the 1970 Challenger and Cuda were already 17 years old. They were already sought after classics (granted, not like today's crazy $300K prices), and they were known, respected, and sought after by everyone. Now the 84 Daytona is 25 years old, and the 87 GLHS is 22 years old. But outside this circle, it seems like they are not in the same league that the 60/70's cars were in the late 80s. If that makes sense. If you drove a 70 Cuda in the street in 1995 everyone notices. If you drive a Shelby Charger today, very few will notice. I think that factor equates a lot to price. I am not saying that I can pinpoint a reason, but it seems to be a fact.

I would wager that 'front wheel drive' is the killer in any long term investment opportunity. I can't think of any front wheel drive cars that garner big bucks. But for me, that is great, so I can buy my beloved TMs and not go bankrupt. I can enjoy what I enjoy.

Derek

I am not sure I agree with this statement. In 1987, 17 years after it was built I bought this car for $3500. The first picture shows it in 87, the second 2 years ago when I took it to a local Mopar show(It took second in the E-body class) as you can see it hasn't changed much, original rims and a few minor touches. 340 automatic. My point is $3500., why? Because in 1987 everyone still thought they were crap old cars and they were still to new to be "Collectable", just a Joe Dirt car.:) Agreed by 96 things had changed but even then they were only "Gear head" cars. Will the FWD cars become like the older Musclecars? I am not sure, I've not seen how this movie ends, but it sure sounds familiar to me.;)

http://www.iserv.net/~cuda/pictures/yellow70.JPG
http://www.iserv.net/~cuda/pictures/70340C.jpg

ohlarikd
09-25-2009, 10:00 PM
I am not sure I agree with this statement. In 1987, 17 years after it was built I bought this car for $3500. The first picture shows it in 87, the second 2 years ago when I took it to a local Mopar show(It took second in the E-body class) as you can see it hasn't changed much, original rims and a few minor touches. 340 automatic. My point is $3500., why? Because in 1987 everyone still thought they were crap old cars and they were still to new to be "Collectable", just a Joe Dirt car.:) Agreed by 96 things had changed but even then they were only "Gear head" cars. Will the FWD cars become like the older Musclecars? I am not sure, I've not seen how this movie ends, but it sure sounds familiar to me.;)

Dan

First of all - d@mn you for buying all the Cudas and Challengers when the gettin was good! That vert is impossible to buy now. I remember looking at a Challenger for $4000 in 1989, but working at Toys R Us as a senior was not buying it. I think I was driving a Dodge Diplomat...

I agree the Cuda was cheap at the time (17 years), but by the time 22-25 years rolled around, they were getting relatively expensive. By now, the GLHS should have hit that mark, and they are still not taking off. Maybe it will take 30 years, I don't know. I hope they do, but only after I buy one!

Again, it is very rare to see anything past 1971 get much attention. Most collectors think that was the end (due to emissions). A few 72-74 cars are finally starting to get traction since everything before that has already been restored or are too expensive as entry into the hobby. For now, I am glad they are not expensive or else I would never be able to get into this.

Derek

ScottD
09-26-2009, 09:04 PM
I like it that these cars aren't worth that much. It allows me to own more than one of them.

I think if you are buying a 7500mi GLHS for an investment purpose that's risky. If you are buying it to enjoy who cares.

Look at the guy who bought the Indy 500 Lebaron pace car convertible. That car is so cool with all the neat stuff on it and it is one of four built. He's had it on ebay a few times and can't sell it. He was upfront about buying it as an investment. Buying these cars to turn profit is risky, buying them to have fun, def not a risk!

BadAssPerformance
09-26-2009, 09:45 PM

Yeah, but you *stole* that car for that money :thumb:

168glhs1986
09-26-2009, 10:54 PM
I think if you are buying a 7500mi GLHS for an investment purpose that's risky. If you are buying it to enjoy who cares.

Depends on how soon you need to recoup your initial investment. If you would like to get in and get out, then yes, risky. If you can let it sit for another 6 years, then I would disagree, it's not a risky proposition. These cars are destined to be true collectibles.

BadAssPerformance
09-26-2009, 11:47 PM
BTW - Carroll Shelby himself bought this car that started the thread....he must of thought it was a good investment:) It will become part of his personal estate and be used mostly for documentation purposes as we all know what happened to his test mule car #001.

WTF? :confused2:

thedon809
09-26-2009, 11:58 PM

DerekI disagree. When I'm driving my 86 daytona c/s t-tops, EVERYONE notices it. Whether they know what it is or not. When I go into parts stores and I tell them what I drive, I always get compliments. Random people come up to me all the time and ask about my car. I remember a guy at a toll booth complimented me on the daytona and asked if it was turboed, I revved the engine and let him hear it.

ohlarikd
09-27-2009, 08:31 AM
Well - I admit I haven't driven one in a while. Maybe things have changed - I hope so! I don't want to appear negative or anything, I am a real big TM fan. I guess in a few months (or earlier) when I find the right car, I will find out for myself. I shouldn't be so pessimistic yet.

Derek

turbojerk
09-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Yeah, but you *stole* that car for that money :thumb:

I don't think that I "stole" it. I believe that I was treated fairly.

How much do you think I should have paid?

BadAssPerformance
09-27-2009, 11:11 AM
I don't think that I "stole" it. I believe that I was treated fairly.

How much do you think I should have paid?

I think you should have paid exactly what you paid for it, because thats really what matters, that both the buyer and seller are comfotable with the transaction. :thumb:

My comment about "stole" is because you did get a pretty damn good deal on it, being that was before "the great depression" we are in and it could have netted more. Think of it this way, now that we are in the "depression" and values on everything have lowered... I'm pretty sure you could sell it for what you paid, but guessing you would want more?

168glhs1986
09-27-2009, 04:50 PM
WTF? :confused2:

Going Racing

Chad T
09-30-2009, 07:16 AM
Yup:thumb:

Did you flip it already? :confused2: and to Carrol no less? Do tell.:eyebrows:

turbojerk
09-30-2009, 12:34 PM
I'm pretty sure you could sell it for what you paid, but guessing you would want more?

Yup!:nod:

Especially since I put $600 worth of new rubber on it...

168glhs1986
09-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Going Racing

Chad T
09-30-2009, 07:41 PM
Wow very cool! :thumb: Looked like a nice one for sure.

skitzo_inc
10-01-2009, 02:49 PM
wait...what? What happened to GLHS #1?

168glhs1986
10-01-2009, 04:45 PM
wait...what? What happened to GLHS #1?

Going Racing

Chad T
10-01-2009, 04:58 PM
The price you were going to pay will seem like a bargain if this car ever sells again!

shelbymopar89
10-01-2009, 09:39 PM
http://www.autotraderclassics.com/find/vehicle/vehicleDetail.xhtml;jsessionid=661CC475BEE944AD043 657DEB08018F5?adId=66204&conversationId=122781
If you are asking $21K at least get the title correct! I thought I would throw this out for discussion! Engine bay looks kinda dirty, guessing from setting for a while, but look at the wire harness, look how faded the tape looks, kinda odd to me......
Edit... was looking at their site and saw these also
http://www.gessweinmotors.com/show.aspx?vid=605709
http://www.gessweinmotors.com/show.aspx?vid=605713
Pretty sure I have seen these posted on here before.

168glhs1986
10-01-2009, 09:56 PM
http://www.autotraderclassics.com/find/vehicle/vehicleDetail.xhtml;jsessionid=661CC475BEE944AD043 657DEB08018F5?adId=66204&conversationId=122781
If you are asking $21K at least get the title correct! I thought I would throw this out for discussion! Engine bay looks kinda dirty, guessing from setting for a while, but look at the wire harness, look how faded the tape looks, kinda odd to me......

I believe this car was sold. Here is the cardomain page:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3332758

That dealership normally gets his asking prices also:nod:

SUPER60omni
10-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Here is my view....... I own a nice 86 S and I totally LOVE the car. I love all L bodys but my GLHS is just my favorite car ever. If I were to sell it as is I could NEVER get the money back I have into it. If I asked 9K I would still be losing $$$. Would I ever get or even ask 9K for my car. HELL NO! I would be lucky to get 5-6K. Does it bother me that its not worth as much as a hemi road runner or a new ZR1 vette.....mabey sometimes.....But I know my car would destroy them on a highway roll :) These cars are one thing.. FUN! you cant help but smile when driving on of these cars. Its so different and it gets SOOOOOO many odd looks at the gas station or at the track that it just makes me smile everytime. My advice....enjoy the car for what it is. Mabey 20yrs down the road someone will buy a nice one for 30K but I doubt it. These cars will never be what a Shelby stang is but to us TD' ers its better.....the rest of the world.....not so much. If you own a TD just to say you have a car worth a lot of $$$ mabey you should not own it, Cuz it aint worth sh*t! Some people need to have that reassurance that their vehicle has a good re-sale value. Well dont plan on it with a TD. My GLHS will be a rotted worthless wreck by the time Im done with it. Until then Im gonna drive it, enjoy it, accept compliments about it, turn heads every day, smoke honduh's and camaro's, and beat the piss outa it every chance I can!

On the flip side I watched a youtube video where a 89CSX sold for 30K! LOL!!! What a sucker!!!

badandy
10-08-2009, 01:16 PM
They were built for fun...pure and simple. The whole point behind them was to give the common man the performance to beat the socks off the guy that spent twice as much. I don't understand why anyone wishes this mindset to change...it's definately for the love of money and not the breed.

Any other mindset other than the original one that Carrol intended just doesn't seem right to me. A closet collectible should stay a closet collectable...and should always be worth more to you than anyone else or else why have it?

That being said...

If I had $10 - $15k would I buy the car? heck yes!...and I drive the hell out of the car too...some call that crazy...I call it enjoying what Shelby intended...so fact of the matter of it is...I could care less what the value is.

These cars are as close to "drive it like you stole it" as it gets without breaking any laws but the speed limit!

Damn....that's a good quote if I don't say so myself :lol:

GRINdryday
12-10-2009, 08:22 AM
I thought the board had gone defunct around Feb. when Id call it up and it wasnt there. Sam told me the other night it was up and going strong so I took a look. So for what its worth, I guess Ill check the board every morning like I used to.

Im back, anybody miss me?

mike

turbokid
12-14-2009, 10:32 PM
I would if I knew you.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44993
What do you think?
Price too high? I won't be insulted by what y'all say just merely curious about the other people that have these cars and what it would take to pry it out of your hands or what you would pay for it. My dad hasnt beena active in years in these cars ever since the midwest shelby dodge club fell through so his pricing is what it would take for him to let go of the car he has owned since 88' and only driven 25k since.