PDA

View Full Version : Bendix Reman Calipers

Murphy
05-02-2006, 11:13 PM
I am looking at reman calipersfor my upcoming brake upgrades. when looking on partsamerica.com(advance) I see there are 2 types of front calipers: Stamped 122249-01 and Stamped 122055-01. there is a left and right of each type. Anyone know the difference?

TylerEss
05-10-2006, 02:56 AM
I know partsamerica.com often has a "Factory-Type Phenolic Piston" option and a "Metal Piston" option. That's probably what you're seeing.

Why would anyone want to switch to a metal piston? Is it better in some way?

bobr19
05-11-2006, 08:22 AM
I know partsamerica.com often has a "Factory-Type Phenolic Piston" option and a "Metal Piston" option. That's probably what you're seeing.

Why would anyone want to switch to a metal piston? Is it better in some way?
I've changed phenolic calipers and found the piston has a tendency to break a part on the outer edges especially around the dust shield:yuck: --haven;t really found one leaking but made me wonder how they were ever holding pressure the way they were chipped and missing a lot of area where they contact pads--changed them for this reason, they looked like an accident waiting to happen--bobr19

rbryant
05-11-2006, 05:36 PM
Phenolic is lighter and transfers less heat. The steel ones are more durable. I know that a lot of brake rebuilders don't like to use the steel ones because the calipers weren't really designed for them. I am not sure if that is really a valid concern.

How old were the broken ones you speak of? If you are really hard on them you should probably change them out every couple of years anyway.

rebuilding brakes is pretty easy although messy. Just take them off and hit the brake line hole with an air hose and they pop right now. You should put a rag or something inbetween the piston and outside of the brake though so it doesn't break when it hits it (made that mistake).

Rear brakes shouldn't be a big issue on our cars because they aren't used that heavily. The 91+ 11" front calipers are $12 each reman from Autozone so why even bother messing with them.

-Rich