PDA

View Full Version : Overheating causing rough idle and bucking

fuforums
05-02-2006, 10:38 PM
Last night I was testing out my new struts and tires and alignment. It's awesome. I was doing some "sprited" driving and pounding it hard. It was so fun, nice cool night etc.

When I was getting home I noticed it was hot and wasn't cooling down. I made sure the overflow bottle was full and it was. Fan was on but wasn't blowing hot air. you know, the kind that makes you wonder "how the hell can this be so hot??" when you are adjusting your grainger valve or something on a hot day and the fan is blowing that inferno air on you. Well, I wasn't getting that. It was fairly cool air and the heater wasn't anymore than lightly warm.

I was tired and coulndn't get it figured out so I went to bed. Went driving tonight and forgot about it but then i started getting hot again and wouldn't cool down. I also noticed that the idle was very poor and there was a mild bucking especially in 5th right as you get to cruising speed and let off some and just ran crappy.

So, I came home tonight and decided to check the radiator as opposed to the overflow and it was practically empty. I filled it up and temps went down and the idle was much better and the ride was much better. I thought it was ok. Figured that last night I was blasting on it and it boiled out of the bottle (it's all brown because of whoever putting stop leak in it and I haven't had the chance to flush it or add coolant) and i could see it splashed all over the engine.

I went to McDonalds to fill my aching belly and it warmed up, cooled down, warmed up and then got hot again! Wouldn't cool down. I drove home and the radiator was out of water again. What the hell? The hoses are ok. The overflow bottle was still full. The hose that goes to it from the radiator cap is good because when I release my pressure cap it blows steam into the overflow bottle and I can blow through it easily. Why isn't it sucking water back into the radiator?

Point to note are that this car has sat up for nearly 3 years. I just got it running last week and it's been fun so far. Just one more issue to deal with. Maybe a bad thermostat? I have the little hole drilled in it but it could be slow to open. What temp should I get if I replace it?

One more thing...when I sprayed water all over the engine and then touched the coil wire is it supposed to zap the f--k outta my hand? I barely touched the insulation part not right on it. Just wondering if I'm losing some spark because of a bad connection or something. Geez, I won't do that again. (i'm sure I will I have done it before)

thanks guys.

Joe
1991 Shadow ES Turbo 2.5 Intercooled

shelbyrampage
05-04-2006, 12:17 AM
Sounds like your head gasket went bye-bye. Your engine is basically eating the coolant. Check your head for warpage when replacing the head gasket.:nod:

Phil
87 CSX #429

fuforums
05-04-2006, 12:25 AM
Yeah I found milky sludge in the oil dipstick today so that's what it is. I made a new post about what I'll need to do the gasket change. Thanks. Glad to see a P body guy on here.

Joe