PDA

View Full Version : Drip rails on an L-body

black86glhs
07-14-2009, 12:22 AM
What did MaMopar use to seal these to the roof or what has been used in the field? The stuff is starting to crack and pop out in a couple places. Is it just a regular seam sealer type of stuff or a specific type of putty?:confused2:

Keito
07-14-2009, 07:41 AM
I was looking at mine at the car show thinking the same thing.
Going to have to do something with it before it gets painted.

GLHS592
07-14-2009, 07:46 AM
We used automotive caulk on mine.

omniac
07-14-2009, 07:48 AM
What did MaMopar use to seal these to the roof or what has been used in the field? The stuff is starting to crack and pop out in a couple places. Is it just a regular seam sealer type of stuff or a specific type of putty?:confused2:

I just had my GLH painted last week. We removed all the old sealer in the driprails and replaced it with 2-part seam sealer - It was black when applied. I'm not a bodyman so i can't tell you what exactly the product was - but the next time I speak to the bodyman I'll ask him. The only advise I'll give is to make sure you fill the channel completely before swiping your finger along it to smooth it out - mine had a few gaps in the sealer which I later had to apply a clear silicone sealer on it - not visible though.

contraption22
07-14-2009, 08:34 AM
Mine was starting to rust in that area, so I ground it down to metal and applied POR16 Patch, let it dry sanded it and painted over it. No problems since.

Nemesismachine
07-14-2009, 10:23 AM
Don't shave the drip rail, that's a mistake. (from experience)

minigts
07-14-2009, 11:55 AM
What about the piece that goes on the drip rail? Is there a replacement for this?

GLHS592
07-14-2009, 04:14 PM
I painted my driprail and left the plastic piece off. It looks much better that way.

black86glhs
07-14-2009, 07:21 PM
I just had my GLH painted last week. We removed all the old sealer in the driprails and replaced it with 2-part seam sealer - It was black when applied. I'm not a bodyman so i can't tell you what exactly the product was - but the next time I speak to the bodyman I'll ask him. The only advise I'll give is to make sure you fill the channel completely before swiping your finger along it to smooth it out - mine had a few gaps in the sealer which I later had to apply a clear silicone sealer on it - not visible though.
Thanks for all the info guys.:thumb:
Shelbyman, if it isn't a problem, find out what it was. I can get just about anything, thanks to a few key people.:D
Heck, the epoxy that is used were my friend Jason works would probably work. It is industrial grade stuff, not like the home version. I would rather use seam sealer, as it is a bit more pliable than the epoxy.

CDNTurboZ
07-15-2009, 04:17 AM
I painted my driprail and left the plastic piece off. It looks much better that way.

+1 My plastic piece is off too, we just scraped out the old seam sealer stuff and put new on and painted over top.

t3rse
07-15-2009, 12:48 PM
Mine was starting to rust in that area, so I ground it down to metal and applied POR16 Patch, let it dry sanded it and painted over it. No problems since.

Mine rotted all the way through...rustbullet and fiberglass for the fix

minigts
07-15-2009, 02:23 PM

I kinda like the black trim piece. :( Is there not a replacement for it? Anyone have a part number? Maybe there still some out there.

jaysshelby
07-15-2009, 05:57 PM
on my Charger and Rampage I used 3M's fast and firm seam sealer.

black86glhs
07-15-2009, 09:49 PM
on my Charger and Rampage I used 3M's fast and firm seam sealer.Dude you are the man. That is what I wanted to know. Time to visit the body guy for some 5 finger discounts.....er sales.

ShelbyTC16v
07-15-2009, 11:27 PM
I kinda like the black trim piece. :( Is there not a replacement for it? Anyone have a part number? Maybe there still some out there.

I have 2 brand new still packaged for a Charger and the parts #'s are marked on them 5230654 and 5230655. http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww244/shelbytc16v/bravo-8.gif