PDA

View Full Version : Control arm Polybushings install

BlueBaron
05-02-2006, 01:07 AM
My car is an '87 with a '93 K-frame and I'm putting in '89 arms.

To get the rear bolts out of the '93 arms, I had to put an 18mm socket on the nut inside the frame, as the metal tab simply bent out of the way.

The new nuts from my Polybushings setup use 22mm sockets. This size socket won't fit into the frame. And I can't get a wrench through the bottom slot either.

How do you tighten the nut?

BlueBaron
05-03-2006, 01:02 PM
Well I took a cue from Chrysler. The factory nuts had a flange on them to keep them from turning. My Dad took the Polybushing supplied nuts and welded a tab on them as well. Even saved the nylon lock on them.

Ok new question.
The arm on the passengers side seems to be sticky. The hinge has enough friction to hold the whole arm in an 'up' position. While the other side will easily flop down. I'm going to try tweaking the front of the frame a little.
But is this a real concern? Any extra weight and the arm comes down. And obviously the corner of the whole car is a good amount of extra weight.
I just want to avoid any heat that will damage the bushings.

MiniMopar
05-05-2006, 01:44 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. The control arm hinges aren't exactly a precision machined piece. Once the sway bar is in, they'll bind up like normal anyway, the this difference will be neglidgible.

Ground Rat
05-05-2006, 08:32 PM
To get the rear bolts out of the '93 arms, I had to put an 18mm socket on the nut inside the frame, as the metal tab simply bent out of the way.

I'm trying to get the front control arm bolt of mine and I just broke a wrench. :mad:

I'm letting it soak in PB Blaster right now.

turbovanmanČ
05-07-2006, 01:59 AM
Yep, don't worry about it, they work quite well keeping the TS under control. Have you read the warnings though about the bushings?

Johnny
05-08-2006, 10:21 AM
That warning was on the cast arm bushings, He is using 1989 a-arms, that are not cast.

Johnny