PDA

View Full Version : damaged cometic MLS HG

monkeyhead
07-09-2009, 05:25 PM
I scratched the coating on my cometic head gasket during removal of the head. Didn't damage the steel at all but I'm worried this will cause problems if I just put it back on. Has anybody had experience with this or a similar problem. I'd really hate to have to buy a new one. They aren't cheap. Think I can fix it? is this a non-issue?
I can't upload a pic. Could someone do it for me if I emailed it.

Chad T
07-09-2009, 06:45 PM
I can't upload a pic. Could someone do it for me if I emailed it.

send the pic to c l a g 5 0 0 @ a o l . c o m and I can post it for you.

slasky
07-09-2009, 11:15 PM
most of the coating has worn off of mine due to several reuses. Just clean up the whole gasket with rubbing alcohol and then spray the whole thing with copper gasket spray. I run 26 pounds of boost and have reused mine this way four or five times.

monkeyhead
07-11-2009, 01:00 AM
copper spray... Availible at the parts store?

turbovanmanČ
07-11-2009, 01:27 AM
Yes, Permatex hi temp copper spray, the can is copper in colour. Remove the rivets, clean all sides with brake cleaner and spray a nice even coat with the sealer, let tack and place on the block one at a time, :D

monkeyhead
07-11-2009, 02:54 PM
sweet. thanks for the help. one less thing to stress about. lol

blk86trbo
07-11-2009, 03:10 PM
Yeah listen to what was posted, that copper spray works great. Always nice to hear about an easy solution :nod:

monkeyhead
07-11-2009, 06:54 PM
indeed

slasky
07-12-2009, 01:10 AM
Yes, Permatex hi temp copper spray, the can is copper in colour. Remove the rivets, clean all sides with brake cleaner and spray a nice even coat with the sealer, let tack and place on the block one at a time, :D

I have never removed the rivets on mine. I just spray the sides that contact the head and block.

turbovanmanČ
07-14-2009, 09:25 PM
I have never removed the rivets on mine. I just spray the sides that contact the head and block.

I just didn't want an issue so I removed the rivets and coated all sides, :thumb:

omnigoestohell
07-15-2009, 11:34 AM
I just didn't want an issue so I removed the rivets and coated all sides, :thumb:

Has anyone had an issue with a new cometic that they didn't spray? I wasn't aware that you needed to use a sealant when installing these things...

slasky
07-15-2009, 12:12 PM
Has anyone had an issue with a new cometic that they didn't spray? I wasn't aware that you needed to use a sealant when installing these things...

You don"t need a sealant the first time you use it. When you reuse it some of the factory coating comes off and it should be coated with something.

turbovanmanČ
07-15-2009, 02:44 PM

Yeah, I did and others have too, hence why I had to pull it apart and coat it, :(