PDA

View Full Version : help? oil in cylinders

wasp
07-09-2009, 02:47 PM
I've got an ongoing problem i can't seem to solve. I'm getting oil on the combustion side of my pistons. the engine was rebuilt a few years ago and hasnt seen much use.

i dont think the rings every properly seated and the pistons all were getting oil on top of them. recently I tore it down and got new rings and fitted them. i did a fresh hone on the cylinders and put it back together.

200-300 miles of breaking it in and i'm still getting the exact same problem. compression is 160-165 on all 4 cylinders. no oil in water, no water in oil. head is fine, valve stem seals have less than 10,000 miles on them. i never see it burning oil, no blue smoke ever. not on decel, not on accel, not on startup. but i'm getting knock from the oil being in there. if i seafoam it the pistons will dry up temporarily but the next day the oil is back.

pcv system *appears* to be working correctly. i'm stumped
ideas?

here's a pic of the sparkplugs
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/238/img0006wsa.jpg

wasp
07-09-2009, 05:05 PM
keep in mind those plugs havent been changed since the rebuild. they've seen maybe 1000+ miles of this oil problem. and yes, i know one is a champ, not sure how i got an odd set.

turbovanmanČ
07-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Looks like a valve seal/guide issue as it looks like one side is covered. Can you look in the bore and see if the piston tops are clean?

wasp
07-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Looks like a valve seal/guide issue as it looks like one side is covered. Can you look in the bore and see if the piston tops are clean?

they are definitely not clean, all 4.

shadow88
07-12-2009, 11:36 AM
A leakdown test will be helpful in determining the source of the oil. It cannot test valve seals and guides, or a turbo, or pcv. Pcv is easy to rule out. Oil in the charge pipes should tell you if it's turbo related. Valve seals and guides require head removal for inspection.

wasp
07-12-2009, 01:51 PM
checked a bunch of this earlier
hotside charge pipe is bone dry. i did a leakdown on #1 and at 100 psi it was less than 5% loss. i used a paint sprayer regulator so its not super accurate but it was between 95-100 (maybe i'll take a pic for reference). i didnt test the rest yet. i just replaced the PCV with a new mopar unit, i'll get back to you on that. valve seals are less than 10k miles, i'm gonna be semi upset if they're bad already. then again, maybe they were never good. i didnt originally order/install them, i suppose they could be the wrong size. i'll report back with more leakdown #s and results of replaced pcv.

turbovanmanČ
07-13-2009, 04:38 AM
they are definitely not clean, all 4.

If you can see all 4 and they are all dirty, then its seals, guides or the turbo.

Drop the DP and look for oil or a wet, glossy residue.

wasp
07-13-2009, 06:41 AM
If you can see all 4 and they are all dirty, then its seals, guides or the turbo.

Drop the DP and look for oil or a wet, glossy residue.

will do, last time i had it off i don't remember it having a wet residue at all. thanks everyone for the help so far.

contraption22
07-13-2009, 09:07 AM
Without knowing more about your car, I will tell you that, unless modified, your PCV system is not working correctly.

The SRT-4 PCV system draws alot of oil into the intake manifold. You mentioned that the hot side charge pipe is clean. How about the cold side?

Before I put a catch can on my SRT-4, it took disconnected the cold side hose from the intercooler and nearly got a mouthful of oil.

turbovanmanČ
07-13-2009, 04:48 PM
Without knowing more about your car, I will tell you that, unless modified, your PCV system is not working correctly.

The SRT-4 PCV system draws alot of oil into the intake manifold. You mentioned that the hot side charge pipe is clean. How about the cold side?

Before I put a catch can on my SRT-4, it took disconnected the cold side hose from the intercooler and nearly got a mouthful of oil.

+2, forgot to mention that.

SoCalCSX
07-15-2009, 02:09 PM
Yes I'm learning that the stock PCV system is crap at best. Hooray for catch cans, check valves, new valve cover gaskets,and spark plug tube seals. Now if I could find the extra money for an oil modifier I'd be set and could take care of all of it at once.....

wasp
07-21-2009, 02:10 PM
I'm still waiting to get the OHV spring compressor from my friend so no new updates.