PDA

View Full Version : BSFC of E85?

SebringLX
07-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Anyone happen to know what the BSFC of E85 on a 2.4L is (SRT internals, 8.1:1 compression ratio)?

I usually use 0.5 as the BSFC for fuel calculations when using normal fuel, but I'm not sure if that's an entirely accurate number to use. I know E85 is supposed to require around 30% MORE fuel than regular gas. Would that make the BSFC of E85 around 0.8 then?

I'm trying to figure out if I don't have enough injector to raise the boost anymore on E85. Problem is I don't have a way to log injector duty cycle right now. I had it holding 22.3psi today with my waste gate duty cycle set to 75%, it's pig rich for a second or 2 while the boost is building, then as soon as it hits full boost it sits in the mid 12:1 range, too lean for my taste. I don't want to waste time trying to fine tune it (remove fuel in the lower pressure range and add fuel in the higher range) if I don't have enough injector to handle it.

Goal was 26psi which I need the higher octane to run safely. E85 is easy for me to get, race gas is not, which is why I was trying E85. I feel the max safe boost on 93 octane pump gas is about 23psi, and I know I have more than enough injector for that. If I can't handle the extra boost on E85, I'll just use 93 and leave it at 23psi until I can afford either larger injectors or meth injection.

Kevin
07-11-2009, 04:09 AM
http://injector-rehab.com/kbse/e85injectorsize.htm

Just remember that stoich for e85 is 10.0 (ish) so you'll probably end up with air fuels in the 8-9 range WOT.

cordes
07-11-2009, 12:00 PM
http://injector-rehab.com/kbse/e85injectorsize.htm

Just remember that stoich for e85 is 10.0 (ish) so you'll probably end up with air fuels in the 8-9 range WOT.

That link gives some pretty good advice. I see people quoting the 30% number all the time, and while that may be fine and dandy for your car at cruise, it's not realistic at all for a boosted performance motor.

IMO when one takes into account the added boost capability and fuel requirements of E85, you should plan on doubling the injector size. You will be able to run a lot more boost with a lot more timing, but E85 also likes to be run very rich compared to gas.

I was thinking about running E85 in the omni and I came up with 95pph injectors as being the minimum, and 120s being the upper limit to what I think I could reasonably do.