PDA

View Full Version : yet another ported two piece-pics

Warren Stramer
07-09-2009, 12:56 AM
Finally got off my lazy but and finished porting my manifold to match the new head I'm building. If I knew this would have been so much work I would have built one from scratch. I had to bore the taper in the runners with some 1 3/4 diam. ball hones, worked pretty good and controllable.
I only ground through in two places even after welding. This thing is VERY thin everywhere, I think I removed about 1/3 its weight. Hope it doesnt blow out.
I will post pics of the new head in a week or so if anyone is interested.

Mopar318
07-09-2009, 01:53 AM
Holy crap that thing has some huge ports. Mine looks huge compared to stock just bringing the ports to the gasket size. What is a ball hone?

The Pope
07-09-2009, 01:54 AM
The problem I have is when you raise the port at the injector bung that far and straight edge it you get a dip right where the pot hole is in the runner, which will pull the air into the hole. All the new intakes they've found this hurts flow so they drop the bung into the runner and it looks more like a valve guide boss. My next plan to get rid of this mess is to weld in the pot hole, drill the bung out and port it in flush. My lower pieces get hot with scotch bright they're so thin lol. I also know what you mean about time too, but there is always one more step with a 2 piece.... I am also a fan of dropping the floor a 1/4" going past the injector for a 655, the runners just straighten out with that head.

Once again you get the prettiest work award :clap: Look forward to the head!

The Pope
07-09-2009, 02:01 AM
What is a ball hone?

They look like a round wire brush, like a shot gun barrel cleaner. Then add round stone balls to the wires.

I ran them a year ago on my lower piece and wasn't happy, it didn't take matterial fast enough for me and my 25,000 RPM Dewalt just had its way with the hone. Though they take more time, it is nice not to bend long mandrels all the time with sand paper roles :thumb:

glhs875
07-09-2009, 05:13 AM
Looks really nice Warren! I can't wait till you get that beast fired up and running!

After porting out my lower which is very similar to yours, I decided a custom lower built from scratch would probably work better with the size of ports we have in our heads.

"Top Fuel" Bender
07-09-2009, 07:22 AM
I only ground through in two places even after welding. This thing is VERY thin everywhere, I think I removed about 1/3 its weight. Hope it doesnt blow out.

down a 1/3 on weight ! sounds like a cheater intake to me :p j/k

Still keeping the ITB setup I hope right :hail:

Force Fed Mopar
07-09-2009, 09:29 AM
The problem I have is when you raise the port at the injector bung that far and straight edge it you get a dip right where the pot hole is in the runner, which will pull the air into the hole. All the new intakes they've found this hurts flow so they drop the bung into the runner and it looks more like a valve guide boss. My next plan to get rid of this mess is to weld in the pot hole, drill the bung out and port it in flush. My lower pieces get hot with scotch bright they're so thin lol. I also know what you mean about time too, but there is always one more step with a 2 piece.... I am also a fan of dropping the floor a 1/4" going past the injector for a 655, the runners just straighten out with that head.

Are you talking about the small space around the injector hole, top of the runner in pic 4? And by dropping the floor, you just mean grinding it down a 1/4" past the injector hole, then letting it ramp back up? Any pics? I may be running a 655 head on one of my next engines also.

Warren Stramer
07-09-2009, 09:48 AM
down a 1/3 on weight ! sounds like a cheater intake to me :p j/k

Still keeping the ITB setup I hope right :hail:

Yup Bruce, and I still have to weld in the nitrous bungs................not, hehe

Still going to use the ITB, but I'm boring them for larger butterflies and .400 shorter V stacks. total intake track length will be 13.47 in. (tuned to third harmonic @6000-7000 rpm)

omni_840
07-09-2009, 09:58 AM
very nice work! looking forward to head pics :)

BadAssPerformance
07-09-2009, 10:02 AM
Absolutely beautiful work there Warren :hail:

Shadow
07-09-2009, 10:11 AM
If I knew this would have been so much work I would have built one from scratch.

Been there, done that! :D Looks great! In my experiance, going thinner than 1/32 = no good for 40lb boost. ;)

Warren Stramer
07-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Been there, done that! :D Looks great! In my experiance, going thinner than 1/32 = no good for 40lb boost. ;) I think the thinnest area is around .060, I'm hoping I can turn down the boost with this setup and make more power, but You know how that goes.........

turbovanmanČ
07-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Warren, :hail::hail::hail:

I think you missed your calling, Shelby should have hired you back in the day, your theory and work is amazing, :hail::hail:

Warren Stramer
07-09-2009, 02:20 PM
Warren, :hail::hail::hail:

I think you missed your calling, Shelby should have hired you back in the day, your theory and work is amazing, :hail::hail:

I just hope it runs better than it looks. Here are some intake port molds of my new head. before the valve seats angles were cut.

black86glhs
07-09-2009, 04:17 PM
I just hope it runs better than it looks. Here are some intake port molds of my new head. before the valve seats angles were cut.Those molds look very close to what my ports look like.:thumb: Glad to know I'm on a similar track porting wise. I am going to be using the hone idea on my lower intake.:thumb: Never liked how it came out, didn't remove very much when I worked on it last. The opening are good, just need to open up the runners a little.

BadAssPerformance
07-09-2009, 04:26 PM
I just hope it runs better than it looks. Here are some intake port molds of my new head. before the valve seats angles were cut.

Nice work there :thumb:

puppet
07-09-2009, 09:26 PM
I think the thinnest area is around .060, I'm hoping I can turn down the boost with this setup and make more power, but You know how that goes.........
Wonder if a guy could dip the lower in like a PVC or apply a fiber reinforced plastic/epoxy .. just to beef up the shell?

minigts
07-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Wow is all I have for that work. Best I think I've ever seen for any car.

Juggy
07-09-2009, 11:05 PM
Wonder if a guy could dip the lower in like a PVC or apply a fiber reinforced plastic/epoxy .. just to beef up the shell?

yeah they make a nice ceramic epoxy that could do that nicely

my mani is hogged out too, and very thin. it gets REAL hot REAL fast when i was polishing it up. well i cant say mine looks polished comparing it to your (warren) work :hail:

ive hit 25 psi and havent blown anything apart......yet :p

Directconnection
07-09-2009, 11:25 PM
What was the ballhone used for? Material removal?

I spent about 35 hours in my lower section, as well.... but haven't polished it yet. (life's issues keep interrupting me)

If you hold a stock one beside it, and take a small wrench or key, you can hear a large difference in the ring tone's pitch:thumb:

cordes
07-09-2009, 11:28 PM
That is some VERY impressive work. Thanks for taking the time to post all the pics. Of course I would love to see some pics of the finished head too.

The Pope
07-10-2009, 12:29 AM
Are you talking about the small space around the injector hole, top of the runner in pic 4? And by dropping the floor, you just mean grinding it down a 1/4" past the injector hole, then letting it ramp back up? Any pics? I may be running a 655 head on one of my next engines also.

I weld up the whole bottom of a 2 piece intake. If you look at the intake from the out side they built it with nice sweeping runners. Then they pinched it off right at the head to raise the floor up to the new ports. I weld the bottom up and cut the floor down till the runner sweeps in where it belongs. When you look into the 2 piece it pinches the runner just before the injector, this is gone with a 655 port. It also isn't a straight 1/4" cut the whole way, your recutting the floor to match the runner. I was also talking about the port hole in the roof of the port where the injector ends. I have some picks but there not here, I don't want to hyjack Warrens thread either :D

GLHNSLHT2
07-10-2009, 12:35 AM

I spent about 35 hours in my lower section, as well.... but haven't polished it yet. (life's issues keep interrupting me)

35hrs?!?! Holy Sh!t dude you need some better tools. what are you using a hand stone?

The Pope
07-10-2009, 12:37 AM
Been there, done that! :D Looks great! In my experiance, going thinner than 1/32 = no good for 40lb boost. ;)

Intresting thing I noticed about going thin. With steel, instant hole. But with aluminum when you think your getting thin a dent forms on the back side. Dents = holes. A bad trip for me as I thought no hole = no hole :mad:

Force Fed Mopar
07-10-2009, 12:45 AM
I weld up the whole bottom of a 2 piece intake. If you look at the intake from the out side they built it with nice sweeping runners. Then they pinched it off right at the head to raise the floor up to the new ports. I weld the bottom up and cut the floor down till the runner sweeps in where it belongs. When you look into the 2 piece it pinches the runner just before the injector, this is gone with a 655 port. It also isn't a straight 1/4" cut the whole way, your recutting the floor to match the runner. I was also talking about the port hole in the roof of the port where the injector ends. I have some picks but there not here, I don't want to hyjack Warrens thread either :D

Cool, yeah np, I learned what I wanted to know :)

Warren Stramer
07-10-2009, 09:25 AM

If you hold a stock one beside it, and take a small wrench or key, you can hear a large difference in the ring tone's pitch:thumb:

I bought four 1.75 diameter ball hones from Goodson chucked them in a drill, jamed them into the runner (you have to literally pack them in) and started honing the runners to the size I needed. I used WD40 for carrying the swarf and aluminum debri away and it is very messy, but you can control the taper in the runner and it also rounds everything nicely.
I bought the course 120 grit hones as they cut the fastest. It is a slow proccess, maybe 25 min. honing per port. but the good part is that you dont end up with rippels and gouges deep in the port you might oterwise get with high speed cutters and you can put a perfect taper in the runner by varying the dwell time of the hone at different depths of the runner.
Once the hones start to open up the runner and wear a little you can take them out of the drill and mount them in your high speed die grinder and go back in with way more rpm and the process goes faster.
Of course you do the openings (both ends) of the manifold with the die grinder the regular way.
Give a hard job to a lazy man and he will find an easier way every time.

contraption22
07-10-2009, 09:32 AM
Beautiful work Warren!

Warren Stramer
07-10-2009, 11:54 AM

Thank you Rob. As for the injector "hollow", I thought of going through the work of welding it in and reboring it till I did an A-B-A-B flow test by covering the hole with tape as if the hole wasnt there and then flowing with the tape removed and the hole pluged with an injector.......NO difference within the repeatability of the flow test. I moved on to more important work.

dds78910
07-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Looks good Warren, I always look forward to seeing pics and updates of your car.

blk86trbo
07-10-2009, 12:54 PM
Looks good Warren, I always look forward to seeing pics and updates of your car.

I'll second that Dustin! Warren's work is top notch!

gasketmaster
07-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Looks Sweet Warren :clap: