PDA

View Full Version : Want to make this public

uwilluz
05-01-2006, 04:23 PM
I am currently involved in a sale to an individual from this board. My end of the sale hasn't gone to my liking and I just want to put this out in the public eye so that you all can see that I am a stand-up individual and plan on doing whatever I can to make sure this is transaction ends right. I am NOT happy with the time it is going to take for this individual to receive his merchandise, and it is directly and indirectly my fault. It is indirectly my fault because I have never mailed anything international before and had no idea what questions to ask or anything like that. It is directly my fault for not asking said questions while mailing the item.

PM sent today to the buyer of my cd player (In Canada):

I sent the package out via USPS today around 4PM EST, however I have some bad news.

I left, got home and realized I don't have a tracking number. That is, he didn't point out anything specific like that on the receipt he gave me (copy of the mailing form).

So I called and asked about it. I asked how long it's expected to be until you receive the package, and he said 4-5 WEEKS! I asked why it would take so long and he said because the package was being "surfaced" there. I asked what that meant and he said instead of flown it's being driven all the way there. I was pissed, because the guy at the desk was being an ---, and I even told him I've never mailed anything international before, and he filled out the form for me and never asked how I wanted it sent. I asked if I could have them set it aside and I would come up there and change the way it's shipped and he said no because it was already picked up.

I guess the good news is this...... I went ahead and shipped the package even though the bank won't clear the money order for at least four weeks while it goes through "international exchange" or some ----. So I went ahead and sent the package thinking it would only take five or six days to get to you.

This stuff is ridiculous and I am mad. This is only the second sale I've done via internet and the first one went through with no problems, and I feel like this is tarnishing my reputation and I'm pissed and I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. I swear on my life that I sent the package and it was as described, so please don't think that I'm trying to rip you off. If need be, I can even scan the receipt and e-mail it to you.

I will check on trying to track the package. If that isn't possible, please let me know as soon as you receive the CD player, and if you have any recommendations on how I can make this exchange more pleasant for you, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Thank you,

Joel Frawley
xxx-xxx-xxxx

**EDIT**

I just called the post office again and they said I will not get a tracking number unless I filled out the delivery receipt ticket, which I didn't know because anytime I've mailed anything I use FedEx and it was always a given.

Now I am really upset. Not only do I not have a way to track the package, not have a definite date of when it will get to the buyer, now I have no way of proving whether or not he actually received the package.

Not saying that he would lie to me, it's just that I went into this transaction hoping to have all my bases covered. Dang, this sucks.

The S is Silent
05-01-2006, 05:11 PM
Dude...that sucks. But 4-5 weeks isn't that bad. It's like getting something from TU :drum:

I would go back to wherever you shipped it from and talk to the guys manager. He should have talked to you about what kind of options you had. The fact that he just filled it out and didn't get your input really is kind of irresponsible. What if the package was uber-important and it needed to get there in 2 days? Go rip the manager a new one.

I hope it all works out.

disclaimer: The TU comment was made in jest. I am impressed with the level of thoroughness that Chris gives all of his customers, and am aware that anything custom takes a little longer. I'm just foaming at the mouth for parts :D (crap...there is no foaming smiley)

ShelGame
05-01-2006, 09:35 PM
4-6 weeks is the standard answer the USPS gives for international ground. I sent a box from Detroit to London, On. They told me the same thing - 4-6 weeks. London is like 2 hours away by car, even with the border crossing, so I asked the guy if the carrier was going to walk it over. He gave me a blank stare, and then a "yes". I guess I can't fault him for 1-upping me in the smarta$$ department...

86Shelby
05-01-2006, 09:48 PM
so I asked the guy if the carrier was going to walk it over. He gave me a blank stare, and then a "yes".

I can't keep a straight face while trying to put myself in his shoes, I tried.:)

They should've gotten all that info from you. I mailed a package to Canada last week with USPS, they had 101 different questions for me. Shipping time, declared value, insurance, tracking, ground or air, attractive delivery girl, etc.

uwilluz
05-02-2006, 07:15 AM
I can't keep a straight face while trying to put myself in his shoes, I tried.:)

They should've gotten all that info from you. I mailed a package to Canada last week with USPS, they had 101 different questions for me. Shipping time, declared value, insurance, tracking, ground or air, attractive delivery girl, etc.

Well apparently I got the only smartass in the department.....

I walked up to the counter the FIRST time and talked to the same guy..... I said "I have an international package, and there are no internation slips there" and he said "that's because you can't use that box to ship to canada" (it was a priority mail box) so I said "Why not?" and he said "because Priority Mail is a US only thing" and I said "So do you have boxes this size that I can use" and he said "yes we do, the ones we sell" and I said "Where are they" and he said "We are all out right now".

So I had to leave, went home, cut up some FedEx envelopes and wrapped the box in those (the non-tearable special document types).

Then went back and he just filled out the form for me.... incorrectly I guess. I had no idea what to expect. Needless to say, yesterday SUCKED!

uwilluz
05-11-2006, 09:25 AM
Part delivered! didn't take as long as I thought it would... Good deal, great sale from a great buyer!

Holley
05-11-2006, 11:00 AM
FWIW it usually takes longer for anything to go Canada -> US or vice-versa, than to post anything to or from anywhere else in the world ;)

midohiomoparsource
05-11-2006, 11:06 AM
I ship to Canada often, and have never had a problem.
Normally delivery is within 2 weeks.
If they pay via paypal, just use the ship tab and all the proper slips will print out and you just take them to post office, place them in envelope, and off they go.

I have had one item magically disappear, but I am working on that right now.

Good to see it all worked out.

Matt

banger68
05-11-2006, 12:19 PM
I geuss it depends on where the moon is. I've had some packages take 1.5 weeks and some 6 weeks.

Holley
05-11-2006, 02:05 PM
Normally delivery is within 2 weeks.
US -> here usually takes 3 days, 1 week is unusually slow ;)

Johnny
05-21-2006, 12:12 PM
I ship to Canada often. Always ask for a "Postal" Money order from Canada, no waiting time to cash it. Mail is usually pretty fast, 2 to 3 weeks. If sent by air it is 2 to 5 days. BUT the customs guys sometimes get their hands on it and can take 6 weeks.

Johnny
PolyBushings.com
The best stuff for the best cars!