PDA

View Full Version : 5 speed to auto

86shelby15psi
12-26-2005, 10:28 PM
is there a differnce in the computer between them?and when putting you car in time does it have to be ideling

Turbodave
12-27-2005, 01:02 AM
There is a difference between the two computers, particularly when it comes to idle control. A 5spd car should run ok with an auto computer, but it may not come to an idle normally when approaching a stop, likewise for a 5-spd computer in an auto car.

The car does have to be idling when the timing is set, don't forget to disconnect the coolant temp sensor as well.

86shelby15psi
12-27-2005, 01:19 PM
when i was setting the timming in my 86 s/c i have them dot to dot and at 0 but as i was butting it at 12 the disturbor dont look like it did before a 12 before the swap.im pretty sure it was a 12 before because the car ran great

jre97
01-01-2006, 04:14 PM
There is a difference between the two computers, particularly when it comes to idle control. A 5spd car should run ok with an auto computer, but it may not come to an idle normally when approaching a stop, likewise for a 5-spd computer in an auto car.

The car does have to be idling when the timing is set, don't forget to disconnect the coolant temp sensor as well.
I'm running a 5sp car with an auto computer and it runs fine. It just sets at about 1500 rpm when you shove the clutch in or put it in neutral until you come to a complete stop. If you use a 5sp computer with an auto it will probably stall when you slow down or stop, but thats just a guess since I haven't tried it that way.

cordes
01-01-2006, 04:18 PM
when i was setting the timming in my 86 s/c i have them dot to dot and at 0 but as i was butting it at 12 the disturbor dont look like it did before a 12 before the swap.im pretty sure it was a 12 before because the car ran great

I have not a clue what you are trying to say there.

Moreover, I have read of many people swapping computers and not having much of a problem at all.

jre97
01-01-2006, 06:01 PM
If you had the distributor out it could be a tooth off (not a big deal if you have enough adjustment) or maybe the cam is a tooth off ( big deal and it won't run right)

Keito
01-02-2006, 05:25 PM
I converted my 86 GLH to T2 using a GLHS computer.
Also using a 413, no idling problems and it never stalls.