PDA

View Full Version : Re-promoting Adhesion On Double Sided Tape & Painted Metal

Polygon
07-08-2009, 05:08 PM
I just got the GTC back from the body shop about two weeks ago. There is a long molding that runs along the door. It's starting to pull off on the ends on both sides. Now, the moldings can't be removed as that would ruin them, they are made of polyurethane. They are held on with double sided tape and I was wondering if there was anything safe for painted surfaces that I could apply that would get the tape to adhere.

Clint

89ShelbyGuy
07-09-2009, 04:13 PM
How about some weatherstripping adhesive? Coat both sides, let dry till tacky and stick back on...tape the molding to the body and let set for a few hours...stuff can be messy, so i would tape off any painted area just incase you drip...

Polygon
07-11-2009, 11:07 AM
I'm going to just take it back to the paint shop and make them fix them. I don't care if they have to replace them again. I might have them paint up two new ones and I'll put the on the right way with good prep and adhesion promoter.

I'm going to recommend they give some 3M stuff a try. It's an emblem adhesive and I've even heard from a few people that have done exactly what I'm thinking with it.