PDA

View Full Version : Low cost piping, at least for me, if it works.

85_600
05-01-2006, 04:03 PM
Yep! I may have found a REALLY low cost way to get my IC piping. That is, as long as galvanized steel is ok to use :D

There is some spare conduit (for wires) laying around my work. The pipe diameter is very close to 2". Would this be ok to use? I know some people have used exhaust piping and some have used SS pipe, but would this type of pipe pose a problem?

Thanks!
Paul

cordes
05-01-2006, 06:44 PM
If it is free, I would use it. Just as long as you don't drop a ton of cash on silicone couplers which you wont be able to use later or any thing like that.

85_600
05-01-2006, 09:20 PM
So there is nothing wrong with using that type of piping?

Heck, it's just sitting in our back room collecting dust. I'm sure they wouldn't miss 2 2.5' pieces. I think that should do my IC piping with a stock IC. :nod:

Yea, the couplers...This site has them for fairly cheap:

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/

Take a look. This is another one I considered as well:

http://www.atpturbo.com/

Garret
05-01-2006, 09:23 PM
2" is far to small for i/C piping go 2.5 or bigger

85_600
05-02-2006, 04:12 PM
I thought 2" was an ok size for IC piping. If not really, then would 2.25" be ok?

Thanks!
Paul

MiniMopar
05-02-2006, 04:49 PM
2" for the lower and 2.25" for the upper is pretty close to what a stock T2 setup is like.

DeckSetter
05-02-2006, 05:07 PM
I ghetto fabbed mine with some 2" PVC last weekend. It's funny lookin, good thing it's temporary. I thought about using conduit though. They shouldn't get hot enough to put off any funky zinc fumes, but even if they did I doubt they'd hurt your engine. Go for it.

89ShelbyGuy
05-02-2006, 05:46 PM
2" is far to small for i/C piping go 2.5 or bigger

I disagree with yea.

Paul, If this car isn't making alotta HP...but near or little more then stock, 2in will be fine. Right now i am currently runnin a dual intercooler set up with 2in piping.

If you are gonna be draggin this car...and making some real power, then i would suggest going bigger then. people say 2.5 to 3 in is the ideal size...but remember, there boosting alot more power!

Good luck!

Tom

mark
05-02-2006, 07:17 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Marine-Hardwall-Wet-Exhaust-Hose-2-1-2-ID_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ31285QQitemZ45444683 05

85_600
05-02-2006, 08:44 PM
I disagree with yea.

Paul, If this car isn't making alotta HP...but near or little more then stock, 2in will be fine. Right now i am currently runnin a dual intercooler set up with 2in piping.

If you are gonna be draggin this car...and making some real power, then i would suggest going bigger then. people say 2.5 to 3 in is the ideal size...but remember, there boosting alot more power!

Good luck!

Tom

Yep! No dragging here, especially for a daily driver. I'm just shooting for a normal T2 conversion, just a bit more fun to drive and to mess with some people. Nothing special. I have to keep the hp and tq down some until I beef up the 413 too. I don't want to build this 2.2 up just to break the tranny and have to let it sit until next year :o
Thanks for the tips guys!
Paul

85_600
05-06-2006, 12:51 PM
Just an update: I got the pipes! Yea for free IC pipes! :D

Now, just a question: It was mentioned earlier that it shouldn't be hot enough to put off the zinc fumes. Would it be wise to just heat these pipes up to get the fumes off before hand or should they be fine? These pipes are the galvanized conduit piping. Even my boss at work (the one that gave me the ok for them) was a bit concerned about them getting too hot.

Thanks!
Paul

LynX853
05-06-2006, 02:17 PM
i piped mine with 2.5in conduit! it works really well, oh yeah, it helps to have a friend that welds!

85_600
05-21-2006, 09:56 PM
Just an update. I dropped off the piping along with the IC at my fathers house where I'm keeping the 600 for now. I pulled off the duct tape that was covering the upper outlet on the IC and held up one piece of the pipe. It was an exact fit, diameter wise:thumb:
So, apparently the upper outlet on the stock IC is approx. 2", give or take a few .XX inches.

mark
05-22-2006, 09:46 AM
if i see a third post about you selling/dumping that car, we're gonna tie you down and take turns giving you the beef stew! LOL

cordes
05-23-2006, 10:07 PM
Just an update. I dropped off the piping along with the IC at my fathers house where I'm keeping the 600 for now. I pulled off the duct tape that was covering the upper outlet on the IC and held up one piece of the pipe. It was an exact fit, diameter wise:thumb:
So, apparently the upper outlet on the stock IC is approx. 2", give or take a few .XX inches.

It is, but you will need 2.25" couplers to go over it. YOu could probably lube up some 2" and do it that way though.

85_600
05-23-2006, 11:14 PM
It is, but you will need 2.25" couplers to go over it. YOu could probably lube up some 2" and do it that way though.

SO this may explain my problems I had when I boosted my Saturn. I went to Summit to buy couplers and when I got home both the bolt clamps and the couplers were too small, even though I got the right size, it was the size of the pipes.

So, when looking for them, when you have 2" pipes, I would need a .25" bigger coupler? Does that sound about right? Same with the bolt clamps too?

Speedeuphoria
05-24-2006, 09:26 AM
if 2" is the id then you will need larger clamps so just get 2.5" and they will clamp down to 2" just fine

cordes
05-24-2006, 10:31 AM
SO this may explain my problems I had when I boosted my Saturn. I went to Summit to buy couplers and when I got home both the bolt clamps and the couplers were too small, even though I got the right size, it was the size of the pipes.

So, when looking for them, when you have 2" pipes, I would need a .25" bigger coupler? Does that sound about right? Same with the bolt clamps too?

I believe that the ID of the TD Ics is about 2", but the OD is 2.25 IIRC. So you would need a 2.25 ID coupler to fit over the 2.25 OD etc. The silicone couplers are a little thicker than an 1/8th" or so, which means that your clamp will need to open up to about 3/8ths or so larger than the ID of the coupler.

Once you get to plumbing it all in, it goes pretty quick.