PDA

View Full Version : Srt-4 as a DD

1qk4dr
07-07-2009, 11:44 PM
How do Stock Srt-4 hold up day in day out? I'm wondering how well they do as Daily Drivers. I just want to hear some opinions and what to look out for on a used one.

rich tideswell
07-08-2009, 07:43 AM
It's fine for a daily driver so long as you have one of two things: all seaon tires OR a second set of wheels with snow tires mounted on them. The stock BF Goodrich KDW2's and Micheilin Pilot Sports are 3 season tires only......This is also assuming you live somewhere that gets cold and snow........

Keito
07-08-2009, 07:44 AM
Talk to Steve Menegan.
He told me @ SDAC he has 230,000 miles on his 05 ACR, he just changed the clutch and starter.
But then talk to Slasky, he's had a few problems with his.
My 04 only has 12,000 miles on it, so I can't comment on a DD.

contraption22
07-08-2009, 08:49 AM
I used mine as a daily driver for a couple of years. It's a nice vehicle and makes the drive to and from work a little more fun.

I work in the city of Philadelphia now and do not drive my SRT-4 to work nearly as often.

1qk4dr
07-08-2009, 08:53 AM
Is the 2.4 in the SRT-4 a non-interference motor?

I enjoy my DD now but it would be nice to get back into a Turbo Dodge while my Spirit Rt is down. Though I don't want the headache either of having multiple problems. So I'm not in hurry to buy one but if I find the right one at the right price I may jump on it.

contraption22
07-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Yes, the SRT-4 engine is a non-interference engine.

neonsox
07-08-2009, 10:49 AM
I test drove one and settled on a regular SXT instead of the SRT-4 for a couple reasons. First, there are no mufflers. Even though the turbo quiets things down, it's still loud. Second, the seats. They are firm and they hold you in well, but your --- feels it later down the road. Of course these things come with a faster car, but they should be considered when picking a commuter car. Obviously my SXT isn't nearly as exciting to drive to work as an SRT-4 would have been, but that's what the Lancer is for. I drive that if I want to feed my boost cravings.

contraption22
07-08-2009, 10:54 AM
I test drove one and settled on a regular SXT instead of the SRT-4 for a couple reasons. First, there are no mufflers. Even though the turbo quiets things down, it's still loud. Second, the seats. They are firm and they hold you in well, but your --- feels it later down the road. Of course these things come with a faster car, but they should be considered when picking a commuter car. Obviously my SXT isn't nearly as exciting to drive to work as an SRT-4 would have been, but that's what the Lancer is for. I drive that if I want to feed my boost cravings.

I can agree with you on the seats. And after a few months of daily driver duty, I located a set of front seats from an SRT-4 equipped with side air bags. These are more like the SXT seats, but are upholstered to match the rest of the SRT-4 interior. I miss the support of the original seats, but they are safe in storage if I ever want to put them back in.

1qk4dr
07-08-2009, 11:51 AM
I test drove a srt-4 before but I didn't think the noise and comfort of the car was that bad. Well my weekend driver has Magnaflows on it and 600in-lb springs so maybe that clouds my judgement. My daily driver right now is a Galant GTZ which is just as quiet as my mom's Buick. It's a nice car but driving to and from work I want a more entertaining experience. The Galant which handles nicely is pretty boring even if it's a high 15 second car with a sports suspension.

boostboy
07-08-2009, 02:26 PM
I use one as a daily driver and its great. It's an 05 ACR, and I have 106,XXX kms on the car and have only had to replace both front control arms. You get used to the exhaust sound after a while, and if I get tired of it there is always the Kicker sound system that drowns it out. The seats are great, they are comfy and really hold you in place.

Oh and for the record, I drive fast and corner hard and I've had zero issues.

89ShelbyGuy
07-08-2009, 02:34 PM
Talk to Steve Menegan.
He told me @ SDAC he has 230,000 miles on his 05 ACR, he just changed the clutch and starter.
But then talk to Slasky, he's had a few problems with his.
My 04 only has 12,000 miles on it, so I can't comment on a DD.

NO...DONT talk to slasky...he will tell you they are a POS and he'll never own one again...beleive me...i think he has had alotta bad luck cause all my friend's srt's hold up just fine with just maintenance issues,

skitzo_inc
07-08-2009, 06:40 PM
I know Kaleb uses his a daily driver. I love the sound and the seats, but I settled for an SXT as well. It was much cheaper.

BadAssPerformance
07-08-2009, 07:18 PM
What kinda gas mileage do these skittles get?

rich tideswell
07-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Depends on how you drive-

Drive it like you stole it and you get crap mileage, drive it like a normal person and keep the turbo from spooling, and you get close to regular Neon mileage.

BadAssPerformance
07-08-2009, 08:25 PM
Whats a neon get?

rich tideswell
07-08-2009, 09:50 PM
*damn you... you're just going to make me have to dig up my window sticker on my ACR....

Anyways, Neons can get close to 30mpg on the highway.

rich tideswell
07-08-2009, 11:11 PM
22 city and 30highway for the SRT-4

BadAssPerformance
07-08-2009, 11:18 PM
Hmmm now if I can only find one for cheeeep ;)

Keito
07-09-2009, 07:33 AM
When I was granny driving mine to work I was getting 28mpg, 75% highway.
I installed Stage 2 which runs real rich, brought it down to 25.
Took care of that by installing a ported exhaust manifold and big wheel stock tubo.
I always wanted to disconnect the wastegate actuator arm for a tank and see what it does.

1qk4dr
07-09-2009, 09:50 AM
The mpg looks good for this much performance. I always liked the SRT-8 cars but the mpg always drew me away from them. I sat in a neon SRT-4 yesterday and I'm noticing quite of few people replacing their seats in their neons with ones without the large side bolsters. I kind of want one with the race design seats. I even saw a ACR with the seats removed for this design.

ScottD
07-09-2009, 10:00 AM
What kinda gas mileage do these skittles get?

I get 22-24 driving around town and on the trip out to SDAC I got 27.5-29.5 on the highway. My car has Stage 2 / no toys.

As far as daily driving, the side air bags seats are nice, but the Viper seats were fine for me on that long drive, depends on the driver's preference.

One thing I would change if I was to drive mine daily would be the BF Goodrich tires. They are sooo LOUD. Car and Driver did a test on tires this month and they said the same thing. My car has 17k currently and I'm looking forward to those tires wearing out.

fleckster
07-09-2009, 10:03 AM
I have been driving mine this week 80 miles round trip daily, mostly highway with a lot of stoplights near the Plant. The drawbacks are the previously mentioned seats, no cruise control, and the difficulty in fully filling the fuel tank. The auto stop at the pumps always kicks off way early and if I stop filling when it shuts off, I can occasionally only get 3/4 tank. The tank is already on the small side at 12gals so when you fill it, you want all of it. As a result of the small tank, the range on a fill up isn't as much as you would think. (~250-300 miles)

BadAssPerformance
07-09-2009, 10:03 AM
I have those tires on the SRT-4 wheels I use on the Z and Shadow... yep. LOUD! They handle great tho :thumb:

SebringLX
07-09-2009, 10:17 AM
I think finding one that hasn't had the crap beat out of it is the hard part. If it's not a 1 owner car that hasn't been modified at all, better go over it with a fine tooth comb.

contraption22
07-09-2009, 10:27 AM
I have been driving mine this week 80 miles round trip daily, mostly highway with a lot of stoplights near the Plant. The drawbacks are the previously mentioned seats, no cruise control, and the difficulty in fully filling the fuel tank. The auto stop at the pumps always kicks off way early and if I stop filling when it shuts off, I can occasionally only get 3/4 tank. The tank is already on the small side at 12gals so when you fill it, you want all of it. As a result of the small tank, the range on a fill up isn't as much as you would think. (~250-300 miles)

The tank filling thing is kind of a PITA. If you fill until the auto stop clicks, wait 5-10 seconds and then proceed filling slowly till it clicks again, then wait do this again, you should get really good fill. I have never been able to fill my SRT-4 beyond the "F" on the fuel guage like I have on all other Chryslers I have owned.

ScottD
07-09-2009, 11:10 AM
no cruise control

I seem to remember a thread on the other site where Neil Emiro posted instructions on how to add factory cruise to the SRT-4. That is something I'd like to do to mine.

contraption22
07-09-2009, 11:12 AM
I seem to remember a thread on the other site where Neil Emiro posted instructions on how to add factory cruise to the SRT-4. That is something I'd like to do to mine.

You can use cruise control stuff for a PT Cruiser to install on an SRT-4 and from what I understand it works well.

However, from what I understand, the S2 and S3 PCMs do not have provisions for the cruise control functions.

rich tideswell
07-09-2009, 11:30 AM
You can use cruise control stuff for a PT Cruiser to install on an SRT-4 and from what I understand it works well.

However, from what I understand, the S2 and S3 PCMs do not have provisions for the cruise control functions.

i think stage2/ no toys can take it but stage 3 can't becuase the pcm is the same regardless if you have toys or not. i think the used some of the cruise control functions to operate the toys.

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f75/how-factory-cruise-control-install-176331/

skitzo_inc
07-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Anyways, Neons can get close to 30mpg on the highway.

Whats a neon get?

:lol:

I get 45-47 on the highway and 30-35 in town generally. :D

1qk4dr
07-09-2009, 01:14 PM
I think finding one that hasn't had the crap beat out of it is the hard part. If it's not a 1 owner car that hasn't been modified at all, better go over it with a fine tooth comb.

Yeah, this is what I'm fearful of. I know the car I have runs well now and I would rather spend money on modifications on my other cars rather than trying to keep my DD rolling.

Turbozcs2003
07-10-2009, 12:35 PM
Dont have an SRT4 but a PT GT, 5 spd. Wife drives it, has 90K on the clock. No issues other than LCA bushings and FW Bearings, covered under an extended warranty.

Have done one brake job, few sets of plugs and wires, change the fluids and run syntheics. Car gets 24sh all around and 27-30 highway.

Nice thing with PT's usually they are adult owned, so they havent been hammered and modified.

boostboy
07-10-2009, 07:28 PM
If i drive nice I can squeeze 450 kms to a tank. But really, who is driving these nice? The KDW's are loud, but stick like a mofo when they are warm. Stage 1 PCM has provisions for cruise as well. Im probably going to add it to my car in the next bit.

Marshallone
07-10-2009, 11:53 PM
I put 17000 on mine during the past year the only problem I have is third gear is going out and the drivers side seat is wearing out because of the foam they used, instead of rounded foam it was cut square and it wearing a hole in the bolster and cylinder #2 misfire occasionaly. The original tires wore out at 27,000 miles and tires make all the difference it is a totally different car with the new tires, can't remember the brand but they are horrible.