PDA

View Full Version : Heavy breathing log ...

Holley
05-01-2006, 11:59 AM
Well, I finally got the Daytona to the track today ('84 T1 log, bone stock apart from a drop-in K&N, auto), and got some wierd times.

I'm not so much worried about how slow it is, more that it seems to be labouring to rev properly; in drive at WOT it shifts at ~3K and I cut a pretty consistent 18.5 or so (good for bracket racing, lol). If I shift manually and take it up to 5K or so, I run a 19!

I've done three runs each way to be sure, afterwards the plugs etc still look ok (not particularly lean or anything), so what should I check first?

TBH I'm tempted to sell it on, while I love the looks and interior of the 1st gen Daytonas, I'm missing the driving experience of the Charger :( (thank god I've not cut it up yet ... we can rebuild, lol)

Murphy
05-01-2006, 01:03 PM
any codes? limp mode maybe

banger68
05-01-2006, 01:48 PM
My 86 TurboZ when completely stock went 16.2, but that was with a 5spd. My geuss would be clogged cat or timing is off.

85_600
05-01-2006, 04:30 PM
How's your elevation over there? That may be a factor....18 seems slow...My stock Dodge 600 got owned by a 5spd Saturn, but that was just done for fun. He didn't waste me bad bad. And that Saturn was quick. I think the stock 1/4 mile times are something like 16.5 or something like that.

turbo xtc
05-01-2006, 04:42 PM
when you shift you are probaly shifting after boost runs out keep a eye on boost pressure and slightly keep foot slightly on throttle so you won't lose turbo rpm.i don't know how much boost you have whether it is stock or graingered at all i have a 1986 laser t1 log style on a 2.5 with auto and i often find out that since it is auto i adjusted the kickdown slightly loose so then i don't need to shift manually and i keep boost around 12 psi but it will run up to 14 before rev limit kicks in about that time it will shift into next gear i very seldom ever shift manually that is the advantage to autos versus manuals boost off the line!!!

Holley
05-02-2006, 04:30 AM
Thanks for the input guys :)

Its stock 7psi all the way, the exhaust has had the cat removed (replaced with a straight pipe) but is otherwise stock.

I'll check for codes when I get home tonight, but its definately not in limp mode (otherwise the plugs wouldn't look so healthy after 1000 miles). Its a bit of a head scratcher, lol ...

r00tcause
05-02-2006, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the input guys :)

Its stock 7psi all the way, the exhaust has had the cat removed (replaced with a straight pipe) but is otherwise stock.

I'll check for codes when I get home tonight, but its definately not in limp mode (otherwise the plugs wouldn't look so healthy after 1000 miles). Its a bit of a head scratcher, lol ...

Sounds like cam (or dist) timing is wrong. (or both!) :)

Clay
05-02-2006, 10:07 AM
Good! so all the parts I shipped worked out???

Holley
05-02-2006, 02:31 PM
lol, I'm sure I sent you a PM on that ages ago, Clay ;)

Yes, all the bits arrived and fitted fine! Time to check the timing then :D

Thanks again folks :)

r00tcause
05-02-2006, 03:03 PM
lol, I'm sure I sent you a PM on that ages ago, Clay ;)

Yes, all the bits arrived and fitted fine! Time to check the timing then :D

Thanks again folks :)

The feeling like it just wont rev is almost always cam timing (if not limp mode).

Distributor timing will often "feel" normal but will be very slow. :)

Holley
05-02-2006, 03:54 PM
Thanks, its entirely possible that both are way off! The engine has never been tampered with, and I've not checked either (was just pleased that it was starting and running without grief).