PDA

View Full Version : 04 Neon Gas Milage Question

skitzo_inc
07-07-2009, 03:20 PM
I'm trying to increase the gas milage I get in my neon. Call me stupid, but here goes...

Doing 55mph with cruise on/ AC on, I get around 45MPG. A/C off, about 46-47 (only tried it once, I love A/C/)

Are there any other little things I could do to increase it? My goal is 50MPG. Someone was telling me that a KNN air filter might increase it some, over inflating tires, and something else I can't really recall.

Any other ideas?

contraption22
07-07-2009, 03:33 PM
45mpg is pretty impressive!

Get a vacuum guage, and try to drive with the highest amount of engine vacuum possible at all times.

As you stated, inflate your tires to the maximum recommended on the sidewall.

Take as much weight out of the car as possible. I dont recommend travelling very far without a spare tire, but some people get away with it.

Lowering the car may help a little bit with wind resistance, as might a deeper air dam than the OE one on the radiator support to cut the air from under the car.

Aluminum wheels may help a tiny bit if you don't have them already, as will a narrower and lighter tire.

If you really want to get involved you can make pans for under the car to reduce wind resitance.

Stupid things that theoretically work...

Folding in your mirrors, removing the rear spoiler if you have one, and the radio antenna.

skitzo_inc
07-07-2009, 05:00 PM
45mpg is pretty impressive!

Thanks! It's difficult to do 55 in a 60-75mph, but it's worth it in the long run!
Around town I get between 30-35MPG, but I always shift (yay manuals!) below 2000rpm and have it in fourth at 25mph.

Get a vacuum guage, and try to drive with the highest amount of engine vacuum possible at all times.

Once again, call me stupid, but...I thought vacuum was mostly for boosted cars? I know they all have vacuum lines, but not sure about non-boosted cars?

As you stated, inflate your tires to the maximum recommended on the sidewall.

I was told about 10 over would increase the gas milage? Any truth to this?

Take as much weight out of the car as possible. I dont recommend travelling very far without a spare tire, but some people get away with it.

All I have in my car is me, a carton of smokes (generally) and the spare tire. Thought about taking out the rear seats, but those come in handy sometimes.

Lowering the car may help a little bit with wind resistance, as might a deeper air dam than the OE one on the radiator support to cut the air from under the car.

Would different shocks/struts lower the car? I don't have the correct fan on the radiator either, it's smaller. Would that help as well?

Aluminum wheels may help a tiny bit if you don't have them already, as will a narrower and lighter tire.

I have the wheels off my Charger on there, but I'm not sure what those are made of? Are those wheels terribly expensive?

If you really want to get involved you can make pans for under the car to reduce wind resitance.

Make pans? Any examples?

Stupid things that theoretically work...

Folding in your mirrors, removing the rear spoiler if you have one, and the radio antenna.

I cannot fold in the mirros, rear spoiler would just leave holes in the trunk (and I like the rear spoiler, :nod: ) and I can take off the antenna. I don't use it it anyway, Ipod FTW!

Here's my car, btw...

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p302/skitzo_inc/0707091558.jpg

contraption22
07-07-2009, 05:09 PM
Once again, call me stupid, but...I thought vacuum was mostly for boosted cars? I know they all have vacuum lines, but not sure about non-boosted cars?

I was told about 10 over would increase the gas milage? Any truth to this?

All I have in my car is me, a carton of smokes (generally) and the spare tire. Thought about taking out the rear seats, but those come in handy sometimes.

Would different shocks/struts lower the car? I don't have the correct fan on the radiator either, it's smaller. Would that help as well?

I have the wheels off my Charger on there, but I'm not sure what those are made of? Are those wheels terribly expensive?

Make pans? Any examples?

I cannot fold in the mirros, rear spoiler would just leave holes in the trunk (and I like the rear spoiler, :nod: ) and I can take off the antenna. I don't use it it anyway, Ipod FTW!

Here's my car, btw...

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p302/skitzo_inc/0707091558.jpg

All gasoline engines run with vaccuum.

Thats how your computer uses MAP sensor signals to measure how much fuel to add to the mix. Generally, higher vacuum = less fuel, lower vacuum = more fuel.

I don't see how increased tire pressure could increase fuel consumption. Just don't go too crazy here.

I wouldnt take out the back seat either. It doesn't weigh much, and without it you will be picking up alot of road noise from the trunk.

Alot of guys with SRT's remove their spoilers use simple little plugs and silicone to fill the holes in the trunk.

The wheels from your aluminum Charger could be lighter than the OE Neon steel wheels.