PDA

View Full Version : The A604

Twisted Noodle
07-06-2009, 01:03 AM
So this '90 Daytona ES I have... The transmission is a 604 I'm told. I haven't taken the time to look yet.

Is it a good transmission?

The only reason I'm asking is, my wife really likes the Tona. She wants to be able to drive it... She is actually calling it "her car". That's fine, if it gets her into this "Turbo-Mopar" thing then I think it will be good for me.. and by saying "ME" I really mean "US"..lol

She doesn't want me to convert it into a manual. So If I decide to keep the auto will it hold up to the punishment I'm dreaming I'll be able to give it? Has anyone cracked the code for the transmission ecm to allow for faster shifting, firmer shifts..etc. Is there a shift kit available for this? Higher stall converter?
Does Megasquirt have provisions for the automatic? That is what is going to control the 3.0. I will spend the cash and buy the turbo headers from Ed Kelly. It looks like the favorite is one of the Holset's for the turbo? I would like to see 300whp (give or take).
Or is there another Auto that would be better suited for this application?

Thanks guys

135sohc
07-06-2009, 01:23 AM
Is it a good transmission?

It can be if your careful and take care of it. ATF+4 is the ONLY fluid you put in there.

http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html

turbovanmanČ
07-06-2009, 01:28 AM
We have a huge thread on it, its marginal at best in stock form. The issue is the trans is good but the programming sucks. You can get aftermarket controllers and MS does have the option to control it, thats what I am doing with my 3.8 turbo setup.

Twisted Noodle
07-06-2009, 01:40 AM
We have a huge thread on it, its marginal at best in stock form. The issue is the trans is good but the programming sucks. You can get aftermarket controllers and MS does have the option to control it, thats what I am doing with my 3.8 turbo setup.

Good to know. I was searching around the forum for info on the 604. I am definitely going to use MS to control the engine. I didn't see anything for the transmission. I wasn't looking really looking either.. I was going to swap in a 543 until my wife won yet again another argument about an hour ago.

I was looking for a shift improver kit from Transgo or B&M but didn't find anything. I know in the past all you had to do was pull out the valve body and drill a few holes in the plate and get ready for neck snapping shifts. Tho that was in RWD cars.

turbovanmanČ
07-06-2009, 01:43 AM
There is a fix kit for the 604, its still a bandaid and does help, if I remember, I'll post up the part number as I have one at work.