PDA

View Full Version : Installed new struts today: questions...

fuforums
04-30-2006, 08:50 PM
Ok, i got my new struts in. It was pretty easy actually. I got the best ones they had at the parts store since I wanted them to perform well. I had a couple issues that I'm not sure about though:

When I pulled the old ones loose, the hubs sort of popped out and down and when I installed the new ones I had to push the strut up pretty hard and then use a screwdriver to get the lower mount holes lined up. They went in fine, though. BUT, my tires are now WAY out of alignment and I mean bad. I'm sure they were original struts so I guess over the years things worked into place but I can't really drive the car without light screeching from each tire cause they are pointed opposite (both pointing out at the front) and they are tipping out from top to bottom. Im going to get it aligned tomorrow but I would like to know if this is normal.

Also, when doing this the axles pull out and you have to push them back in and this caused a lot of oil to come out of the trans and onto the ground. I had to add nearly a quart to get it back to regular level. Where does the oil come out of? Did I mess something up? All the boots and everything looked good. Tie rods didn't have play in them so I think the steering will be sweet when the alignment is done. Just worried and dont want the mechanic looking at me like I'm an idoit and I installed them wrong or something.

Thanks for any replies.

Joe
91 Dodge Shadow ES Turbo 2.5 Intercooled

cordes
04-30-2006, 08:58 PM
The oil came from where the axles go into the trans at the diff.

once you have the nuckles off of the strut for various reasons a couple of times, you can get pretty good at eyeballing the alignment. The last time I had to replace an axle, that side did not require any adjustment when I took it in. This is normal, and they probably won't think too much of it if it is way out though. I am sure they see worse all the time.

fuforums
05-01-2006, 09:30 PM
Well I got the alignment done today as well as new new Eagle GT tires on the front (rears are new Eagle RS-A) and it's AWESOME. Rides so smooth it feels brand new. Tight and nimble and no more bouncing. I got the Gabriel struts, that was the best Auto zone had so I think they are going to be good. No more wobbling at 55-65 mph no more bumping noises when turning everything's right now.

5sp. mini
05-01-2006, 09:42 PM
make sure you check your trans fliud do run it low :( AL

turbovanmanČ
05-01-2006, 11:02 PM
Gabriels are good. Hopefully they gave you some negative camber.

fuforums
05-02-2006, 10:26 PM
All I know is it rides awesome and is tight and very smooth. I'm very happy with it. Now, if I can get the rest of my problems fixed it will be all good. See new post.