PDA

View Full Version : help me pass emmisions!

turbomopar87
04-30-2006, 07:39 PM
I need to pass emmisions now in my 87 shelby Z. I went to register it and got this bad news. I just put my 3" side exit on too. Good thing it has a Cat, but has a race bullit muffler. I am not even sure if they will test it since it has a side exit which is illegal here on passenger cars, but hopefully they will at least test it.

What i am wondering is what i can do to make sure it passes. I think i read somewere i can play with the timing, right? I just bought a MP cam sprocket w/ keys, so i need to put that on anyway. Were should i set the timing for the test?
Also, what fuel press is good on +40's? Should i lean out just for the test? As is sits now, i am more rich i think. I see black smoke come out at seim-high RPMs and when i looked at the ground there are black freckles all over the ground around the tip.

anyone that knows some little tips, that would be awesome.
thanks
kris

Frank
04-30-2006, 07:49 PM
5 gallons of gas and add some dry gas to it. Also sounds like you are rich.... which wont pass you.

Frank

lancer402
05-01-2006, 09:17 PM
If I were you I would install the stock injectors, especially with the stock ecu if your using that. You could trn the fuel repssure down but the spray pattern wont be as good, I dont think. If you go to lean then the NOX will go up.
stock timing and everything else.
andy

turbovanmanČ
05-01-2006, 11:09 PM
Unless you have a sniffer available, put the stock injectors back in and set to base pressure of 55 psi with the vac hose off. Put ig timing to spec. 12 deg and put cam timing at stock or zero. Make sure oxgyen sensor is fresh and if that cat is any good, you'll pass with flying colours.

87glhs232
05-02-2006, 12:26 AM
Unless you have a sniffer available, put the stock injectors back in and set to base pressure of 55 psi with the vac hose off. Put ig timing to spec. 12 deg and put cam timing at stock or zero. Make sure oxgyen sensor is fresh and if that cat is any good, you'll pass with flying colours.
+1 :nod:

mech1nxh
05-02-2006, 08:09 AM
+1 on previous,
also simple addendum , set tire pressure at max cold psi...
helps decrease continuous load v/s analyzer bench sample time:)

Frank
05-02-2006, 10:25 AM
The dry gas that I mentioned is mainly to bring in one of the stray offendors like NOX, etc.

turbomopar87
05-02-2006, 11:06 AM

I REALLY dont wanna hassle with putting those injectors back in again. I just put in the +40's, and its a pain ni the a$$. I have the 2pc intake...is there a secret to geting them in easy?

If I were you I would install the stock injectors, especially with the stock ecu if your using that. You could trn the fuel repssure down but the spray pattern wont be as good, I dont think. If you go to lean then the NOX will go up.
stock timing and everything else.
andy

using MP stage 2 comp.

+1 on previous,
also simple addendum , set tire pressure at max cold psi...
helps decrease continuous load v/s analyzer bench sample time:)

What does tire pressure have to do with it?

GLHSKEN
05-02-2006, 11:11 AM
Less rolling resistance on the rollers if you have a "load" test.

turbomopar87
05-02-2006, 11:11 AM
also, my O2 is like new, and the cat is brand new, about 3 miles on it, lol.

and when i was screwing with my AFPR, i cant seem to get the guage to read below 30psi w/ vac hose off. When i had the hose off, and FP at 45, i put the hose on and it only dropped to 40. I then put the FP at 40 with hose off, and popped it back on and it read 37ish...isnt it supposed to drop down even more? something like 12psi? Could this be a vac leak somewere?

turbomopar87
05-02-2006, 11:14 AM
Less rolling resistance on the rollers if you have a "load" test.

o, i see. i dont think i have to do that, but i am not sure. Anyone know if CT has that?

Hooty
05-02-2006, 11:28 AM
If you are running that Rich, wouldn't you be at risk of fouling up your O2 sensor pretty quick anyway? At least, my thoughts.

-Will

mcsvt
05-02-2006, 11:28 AM
I passed NY state inspection with +40's, no afpr, 22psi cal, 2.5" exhaust. Only thing they even mentioned to me was my windsheild due to a crack, but were nice enough to let me slide on that one. This was at a gas station right down the road from where I live, don't know if that makes a difference.

Good luck,

turbovanmanČ
05-02-2006, 12:05 PM
I REALLY dont wanna hassle with putting those injectors back in again. I just put in the +40's, and its a pain ni the a$$. I have the 2pc intake...is there a secret to geting them in easy?

Remove the valve cover, becomes a piece of cake.

using MP stage 2 comp.

That should be good for +20's, so if you don't want to remove the injectors, try setting base pressure at around 35 psi. Watch air/fuel guage, if its dancing at cruise-40 mph, your good for the test.

and when i was screwing with my AFPR, i cant seem to get the guage to read below 30psi w/ vac hose off. When i had the hose off, and FP at 45, i put the hose on and it only dropped to 40. I then put the FP at 40 with hose off, and popped it back on and it read 37ish...isnt it supposed to drop down even more? something like 12psi? Could this be a vac leak somewere?

You can't set it any lower as you have too much fuel flowing and the reg can't control it, IE a bigger fuel pump, etc. You can't ever get down to 12psi, even on a stock setup. So set the pressure as low as you can and see statement above.

turbomopar87
05-02-2006, 02:05 PM
Remove the valve cover, becomes a piece of cake.

ok, sweet, i'll keep that i mind

That should be good for +20's, so if you don't want to remove the injectors, try setting base pressure at around 35 psi. Watch air/fuel guage, if its dancing at cruise-40 mph, your good for the test..

by at a cruise, you mean like 4th gear just cruising, not in nuetral right.

You can't set it any lower as you have too much fuel flowing and the reg can't control it, IE a bigger fuel pump, etc. You can't ever get down to 12psi, even on a stock setup. So set the pressure as low as you can and see statement above.

well i know i cant set the FP at 12psi, i am not that new, lol. I always thought that the FP dropped about 12psi when you put the vac hose back on...

turbomopar87
05-02-2006, 02:08 PM
If you are running that Rich, wouldn't you be at risk of fouling up your O2 sensor pretty quick anyway? At least, my thoughts.

-Will

like i said above...it has not even 3 miles on it. I have started it and just tried getting the FP right, and drove it around the block to see how the A/F was reading.

turbomopar87
05-02-2006, 02:11 PM
I passed NY state inspection with +40's, no afpr, 22psi cal, 2.5" exhaust. Only thing they even mentioned to me was my windsheild due to a crack, but were nice enough to let me slide on that one. This was at a gas station right down the road from where I live, don't know if that makes a difference.

Good luck,

good to know:thumb: makes my hopes go up, lol.

the place i am going is a small auto parts store/service station. They know me b/c i go in there alot, so thats one of the only reasons i am able to get it tested...side exit is usually illegal, but they said they will do it. As for passing me, they have no control over the exhaust part.

GLHNSLHT2
05-02-2006, 08:29 PM
instead of worrying about it how about going and getting it tested and seeing where you're at. I passed with +40's on a 2.5 with 2.2 electronics, no cat and 3" straight pipe. It was close but I passed. The only way you're gonna know is to go down and get it done. Then we can give you real advise depending on what you failed in.

boost geek
05-02-2006, 08:47 PM
I ran the GLHS stage 2 computer and always passed using a 20-1 mix of isopropynol (rubbing alcohol) and no cat, egr, pcv, nothing. I would run the timing at 4 degrees also, worked every time...

turbomopar87
05-03-2006, 10:42 AM
instead of worrying about it how about going and getting it tested and seeing where you're at. I passed with +40's on a 2.5 with 2.2 electronics, no cat and 3" straight pipe. It was close but I passed. The only way you're gonna know is to go down and get it done. Then we can give you real advise depending on what you failed in.

this is true...i was just trying to aviod paying $20 twice if i failed. I think i will go tomarow after class.

I ran the GLHS stage 2 computer and always passed using a 20-1 mix of isopropynol (rubbing alcohol) and no cat, egr, pcv, nothing. I would run the timing at 4 degrees also, worked every time...

sounds like what i have, lol. I should be able to get by.

turbomopar87
05-05-2006, 12:33 AM
well, i FAILED! hahaha!

There are good things about this however:
1: If i go back to the same place within 30 days, its a FREE re-test!
2: I know what cause me to fail(i think)
3: I passed everything except CO%...whoohoo

Heres the results by the numbers they gave me...

HC (PPM)
Limit: 227
Emmissions:114
PASS

CO(%)
Limit: 0.73
Emmisions: 2.76
FAIL

NOx (PPM)
Limit: 1591
Emmisions: 299
PASS

RMPs: 2695

How do these #'s look?

When i asked the tech what to fix, he said "it looks like it was running rich, so something with the fuel, or maybe a vaccuum leak somewere."

So i put in my stock injectors tonite (thanks turbovanman for the tip:thumb: made it REAL easy) As for a vac leak, by boost gauge reads 15-16 at a stand still idle, and about 17-18 in neutral while cruising. Does that sound right?

I'll be goin back in the morning for my retest, keeping my fingers crossed that i will pass this time!

turbovanmanČ
05-05-2006, 01:27 AM
Numbers look really good except your pig rich, I bet before the cat you have 5-6% CO. Putting the stock injectors back in will solve that, :thumb:

Lee'sdaytona
05-05-2006, 02:38 PM
Numbers look really good except your pig rich, I bet before the cat you have 5-6% CO. Putting the stock injectors back in will solve that, :thumb:
Can't that richness ruin his brand new cat in a hurry?
-Lee

turbovanmanČ
05-05-2006, 05:15 PM
Can't that richness ruin his brand new cat in a hurry?
-Lee

Yes, but its usually misfires that damage it the fastest.

turbomopar87
05-05-2006, 08:10 PM
Well, i put on the stockers, and was going to go and get another test...BUT, apperently one injector is bad! I drove around the block and to a near by service place for an expert opinion, and sure enough, pulled off cly. 3's plug wire, and nothing changed. So this sucks majorly, and is REALLY pushing me to sell this piece!

Now i have to put the 40's back on tonite so i can get my dynoing done tomarow (hopefully) and then figure out what i want to do about injectors.

yeah, i know the richness will ruin the cat faster, so i think i am gonna have to use only +20's if i am running to rich with these +40s. I cant seem to figure out why. I have only put 10 miles on the injectors, so the cat cant be damaged that much.

I will be taking the cat out though, so it wont matter much then :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
05-07-2006, 04:34 PM
Well, i put on the stockers, and was going to go and get another test...BUT, apperently one injector is bad! I drove around the block and to a near by service place for an expert opinion, and sure enough, pulled off cly. 3's plug wire, and nothing changed. So this sucks majorly, and is REALLY pushing me to sell this piece!

Now i have to put the 40's back on tonite so i can get my dynoing done tomarow (hopefully) and then figure out what i want to do about injectors.

yeah, i know the richness will ruin the cat faster, so i think i am gonna have to use only +20's if i am running to rich with these +40s. I cant seem to figure out why. I have only put 10 miles on the injectors, so the cat cant be damaged that much.

I will be taking the cat out though, so it wont matter much then :thumb:

Dude, you have had NO issues, lol. If you follow my 3 years with my van, you would be in tears, :censored:

BTW, check the wiring at the connector, it could be loose hence the no workie.

turbomopar87
05-08-2006, 09:52 AM
Well i dont think it can be the wire, since the +40's that were in it worked fine before, and they work fine now.

I got it dynoed, and the +40s were actually to lean, i turned them up to 38psi and they were perfect. I made 236hp/373lbft, all on my stock IC. I have to install the front mount and remove the cat and i shold make 250. This is also on non-ported anything up top. I am very happy with the car, now if i can just pass emmisions....