PDA

View Full Version : Price of Conversion??

Dan15
07-04-2009, 09:51 PM
I'm just wondering what the cheapest anyone has done a 2.5 to 16v conversion for?? What's the general range i'll be looking at spending?

turbovanmanČ
07-04-2009, 11:20 PM
I believe that would be "whywoody", he did his on the road outside his house/apartment.

Cost depends on your abilitys and how good you are at sourcing up cheap or free parts. I would guess at least $500 minimum for the basic setup.

shelbyplaya
07-07-2009, 05:33 PM
dont do a basic set up, at least get proper pistons. I spent a few thousand on my set up

Dan15
07-08-2009, 04:22 AM
So would doing a 2.4 swap be cheaper?? I know i asked about the 2.5 lol but then I heard about all the advantages of the 2.4 and it peaked my interest.

t3rse
07-09-2009, 01:06 PM
You're going to have 1500$ in it either way unless you are very competent welder and like Simon said, very resourceful.

turbovanmanČ
07-09-2009, 01:09 PM
So would doing a 2.4 swap be cheaper?? I know i asked about the 2.5 lol but then I heard about all the advantages of the 2.4 and it peaked my interest.

If you have access to a welder and can fab, the 2.4 swap might be cheaper, but you need to make custom mounts and you'll need a Dizzy adapter from "Rbryant" to run the stock SMEC/SBEC or if you've got an L body, you'll need standalone or swap to a SMEC setup.

Either way, your still looking at cash, time, its just a matter of how much, :o

And remember, when you think you've got it all planned out, something WILL happen to add more money.

Darkapollo
07-10-2009, 12:05 PM
And remember, when you think you've got it all planned out, something WILL happen to add more money.

That never happens on a TD... :lol:
I purchased an almost ready to go Hybrid off of a friend and now Im moving stuff around, getting more parts, etc...

SoCalCSX
07-10-2009, 12:34 PM
If you have access to a welder and can fab, the 2.4 swap might be cheaper, but you need to make custom mounts and you'll need a Dizzy adapter from "Rbryant" to run the stock SMEC/SBEC or if you've got an L body, you'll need standalone or swap to a SMEC setup.

So why can't you use an LM exactly? Kind of a hijack but I'm curious, this is the first time I've heard that.

rbryant
07-10-2009, 01:51 PM
It is really only the front mount that needs to be custom the too many neons 1G neon SRT4 conversion mount that connects to the stratus mount works pretty well on the passenger side if you add a couple of headbolt washers. I also have a prototype drawn up for the passenger mount that would use full sized M10 bolts and be stronger and not require any spacers. It is a project that I plan on doing once I get some other things taken care of.

The front mount is a combination of a late caravan mount Part # 4861574AC and a custom bracket that fits into it.

And then there is also the tranny bellhousing mod if you use a TD tranny.

-Rich

Dan15
07-10-2009, 02:12 PM
You're going to have 1500$ in it either way unless you are very competent welder and like Simon said, very resourceful.

Ok that's good to know. Thanx for all the info everyone this will definitely help in my decision as to what to do!

turbovanmanČ
07-10-2009, 02:29 PM
So why can't you use an LM exactly? Kind of a hijack but I'm curious, this is the first time I've heard that.

My guess is programs to run a hybrid or the lack of computer brains, :eyebrows: