PDA

View Full Version : SDAC-19 Repairs...

BadAssPerformance
07-02-2009, 06:15 PM
Once again, the SDAC convention has to be the most best place (although inconvenient) for someone to break down and have to fix their car... here are a few fixes from SDAC-19:

larryB - V6 Minivan trans broke 60 miles from arrival, towed in, new trans to tow Sundance home

jckrieger - Oil pump and intermediate shaft in 60k mile Sirit R/T

Gaboon - Clutch pressure plate '87 Shelby Charger

Turbodave - Power steering pressure hose on '89 Shadow

Supercrackerbox - fusible link on '86 Shelby Charger

Turbo3Iroc - Shift rod on '86 GLHS

Slasky - axle - Shelby Charger

I know there were more, what else got repaired this year?

OnLooker
07-02-2009, 06:20 PM
I broke 1 piston, but was lucky enough to have the tow dolly for the ride home.

bakes
07-02-2009, 06:20 PM
I just have to say i cant hold it back any more
:needpics1: LOL

WVRampage
07-02-2009, 06:26 PM
ignition coil 60 miles from home on the way.

Turbo3Iroc
07-02-2009, 06:51 PM
My shifter broke when I was returning with the cam seal to fix Bakers car!

cordes
07-02-2009, 07:05 PM
Thank goodness I didn't break anything. It is a great feeling watching or helping others fix their cars though. The comradery is very strong at the event.

sdac guy
07-02-2009, 07:29 PM
When I got to the motel on Friday, I parked the truck out front to go inside to register. The shifter felt really odd when I put it in Park.

I came out and moved the truck around to the parking lot. Went to put the truck in park and it the shifter wouldn't even go into neutral. Went fine into 1,2 and drive, but I couldn't get to neutral, reverse or park. Was like the linkage was hitting a stop (it was).

Not thinking I turned off the key, and soon realized what a mistake that was. I was parked on a hill, and if I let my foot off the brake the truck rolled backwards toward the motel. And since I couldn't get back to neutral to restart it, I had to sit there with my foot on the brake until help came along (parking brake broke a long time ago).

Bill Gamalski drove down with me and soon he came around and parked his truck & trailer. He got a piece of wood out of his trailer and put it behind the wheel so my truck wouldn't roll.

We looked under the hood and saw that a heat shield that used to be on the side of the lower exhaust manifold had fallen and the shift linkage was hitting it. We got a pry bar and removed the shield the rest of the way from the downpipe. Shifter worked like new the rest of the weekend.

On the way home, just north of Dayton, my brake and anti-lock warning lamps came on. When I tried to stop I didn't have any brakes till the pedal was almost on the floor. Craig found a leaking metal line on a rear brake module located on the frame above the rear axle.

It dripped constantly, and squirted fluid when pushing the brake pedal. I added brake fluid to top off the reservoir and continued home. We stopped every 40 minutes or so to top off the brake fluid. Made it home the rest of the way without incident, but I did drive quite a bit slower than I am used to.

Barry

minigts
07-02-2009, 08:12 PM
Steve from Omaha had an issue with the factory shift rod on his GLHS. I think he fixed it with a hanger or some copper wire. :)

My car's logic module came undone after I opted not to bolt it back into place, thinking I was going to do more programming on the SMEC. Turns out windy roads and constant braking and accelerating will shake the plug loose. :p

Blue Iroc R/T
07-02-2009, 09:15 PM
From some pics I saw, Looks like Fleck got some new Ti Retainers installed. Not really a break down, but a nice fix!:thumb:
A lot of people worked on my son Mark's Dayton with the Stage 5 SBEC-II, but didn't get much resolved.
Also my son wasn't able to put his car in the show because a Tie-Down Strap (a BRAND NEW 2" wide 5,000 Lbs Summit Racing Stap) S t r e a c h e d and let the front of his car ram into the front of the enclosed trailer. $2100 damage and the Insurance Co. is saying that they are charging it as COLISION. WTF, I think it should be charged as COMPREHENSIVE. Not done arguing this one yet. State Farm may loose some business if they continue that route. The $250 Dedutible for Col. doesn't bother me, it the fact that the charged accident can and probably will increase his premiums. We will have to see how this one plays out. :(

BTW, I got a new Short Through Shifter installed in my R/T, right on the Show Field by Jackson in about 45 minutes. Thanks Jackson! It works beautiful!

glhs231
07-02-2009, 11:06 PM
Steve from Omaha had an issue with the factory shift rod on his GLHS. I think he fixed it with a hanger or some copper wire. :)

My car's logic module came undone after I opted not to bolt it back into place, thinking I was going to do more programming on the SMEC. Turns out windy roads and constant braking and accelerating will shake the plug loose. :p

Fixed it with zip ties. Ray and Adam were the ones who fixed it. Drove 750 miles home with it like that. Worked great! Thanks guys.

bradp
07-03-2009, 02:36 PM
From some pics I saw, Looks like Fleck got some new Ti Retainers installed. Not really a break down, but a nice fix!:thumb:
A lot of people worked on my son Mark's Dayton with the Stage 5 SBEC-II, but didn't get much resolved.
Also my son wasn't able to put his car in the show because a Tie-Down Strap (a BRAND NEW 2" wide 5,000 Lbs Summit Racing Stap) S t r e a c h e d and let the front of his car ram into the front of the enclosed trailer. $2100 damage and the Insurance Co. is saying that they are charging it as COLISION. WTF, I think it should be charged as COMPREHENSIVE. Not done arguing this one yet. State Farm may loose some business if they continue that route. The $250 Dedutible for Col. doesn't bother me, it the fact that the charged accident can and probably will increase his premiums. We will have to see how this one plays out. :(

BTW, I got a new Short Through Shifter installed in my R/T, right on the Show Field by Jackson in about 45 minutes. Thanks Jackson! It works beautiful!

My wife is a Claims Adjuster for one of the major ins companies and she said it was a collision claim as the car hit something. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

BadAssPerformance
07-03-2009, 04:17 PM
My wife is a Claims Adjuster for one of the major ins companies and she said it was a collision claim as the car hit something. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

From my experience, or from friends who have had issues... hitting a deer is comprehensive... someone pounding a shopping cart into it in a parking lot is comprehensive... if it rolls down the driveway into a tree it is comprehensive.

Why is this not? Keep up the fight with them Ralph, like you said it is better to try to get it considered "comp" so that so that the "collision" does not jack his rates!

cordes
07-03-2009, 06:55 PM
From my experience, or from friends who have had issues... hitting a deer is comprehensive... someone pounding a shopping cart into it in a parking lot is comprehensive... if it rolls down the driveway into a tree it is comprehensive.

Why is this not? Keep up the fight with them Ralph, like you said it is better to try to get it considered "comp" so that so that the "collision" does not jack his rates!

From what I understand they list the deer as hitting you, not you hitting the deer. I agree with what you are saying, but insurance companies have been having a rougher go of it lately, and need to rip people off to skate by.

R/T
07-05-2009, 01:14 PM
Also add the Tim Pettijohn SRT 8 flat tire fiasco to the repairs list.... :yuck:

jamesmonty
07-05-2009, 03:03 PM
Twisted noodle swaped out a bad alternator and got his cal fixed.

86Shelby
07-05-2009, 09:13 PM
GLHS231 -Steve had the same shifter repair done to his c'87 S that Kelly had on his '86 S.

minigts
07-05-2009, 09:15 PM
GLHS231 -Steve had the same shifter repair done to his c'87 S that Kelly had on his '86 S.

What's that, zip ties? :D Zip ties for the win! Now to just keep them from melting at 2 inches from the manifold. :eek:

badandy
07-05-2009, 09:20 PM
Also fixed was a Shelby Charger with a bad P.S. pressure hose at Ken's "GarageMahal"

turboshad
07-06-2009, 10:53 AM
About 24-26hrs into my trip home I heard a wierd clunking sound and something that sounded like a bolt coming off on some extremely rough Saskatchewan roads. I finally found a place to pull over in a small town to discover my drivers side strut nut, the one that keeps the strut in the bearing plate, had completely come off. This let the strut come out of the bearing plate and just bounce around underneath. Luckily the nut and lock washer fell into the hole where the bearing plate is and even more luckily the abuse didn't snap or bend off the adjuster tab on my konis. :thumb: All I lost was the bottom washer that goes underneath the bearing plate which was what I heard hit the inner fender while I was driving. All in all it could have been much worse but I made it home.

DJ

Gaboon
07-06-2009, 11:15 AM
Thanks Ken and Andy, good times!!!

blk86trbo
07-06-2009, 11:23 AM
About 24-26hrs into my trip home I heard a wierd clunking sound and something that sounded like a bolt coming off on some extremely rough Saskatchewan roads. I finally found a place to pull over in a small town to discover my drivers side strut nut, the one that keeps the strut in the bearing plate, had completely come off. This let the strut come out of the bearing plate and just bounce around underneath. Luckily the nut and lock washer fell into the hole where the bearing plate is and even more luckily the abuse didn't snap or bend off the adjuster tab on my konis. :thumb: All I lost was the bottom washer that goes underneath the bearing plate which was what I heard hit the inner fender while I was driving. All in all it could have been much worse but I made it home.

DJ

Close call DJ...would have been an awful shame to get in an accident with that nice car. You are very lucky! :)

contraption22
07-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Just before SDAC, my brother and I replaced all the brake lines, hard lines and flex lines, on his Chevy Silvo HD. Towed my car all the way out to Ohio and back, including towing my car and Slowe's car various places for the convention. No issues.

On Friday night we towed the Sea-Doo's down to the beach in Delaware for the 4th of July Holiday weekend. Backing the truck out of the driveway to go to the beach, my father notices the brake fluid on the ground, and the truck has no pedal. The brand new right front braided brake line broke at the fitting.

No parts stores carry the front rubber brake lines for the application, but we were able to make parts for a 1500 work with some slight modification to the brackets.

It's a miracle it didn't happen at 70mph towing a trailer down the mountains in Western, PA. Very lucky to be alive.

turbojerk
07-06-2009, 12:50 PM
I had to have the windshield replace in the CSX while at SDAC. I'm really not too happy about that. :o

The 11th commandment clearly states that Troy shall not have a factory windshield glass in any of his vehicals no matter how low the milage is....:mad::mad:

Pat
07-06-2009, 12:59 PM
Just before SDAC, my brother and I replaced all the brake lines, hard lines and flex lines, on his Chevy Silvo HD. Towed my car all the way out to Ohio and back, including towing my car and Slowe's car various places for the convention. No issues.

On Friday night we towed the Sea-Doo's down to the beach in Delaware for the 4th of July Holiday weekend. Backing the truck out of the driveway to go to the beach, my father notices the brake fluid on the ground, and the truck has no pedal. The brand new right front braided brake line broke at the fitting.

No parts stores carry the front rubber brake lines for the application, but we were able to make parts for a 1500 work with some slight modification to the brackets.

It's a miracle it didn't happen at 70mph towing a trailer down the mountains in Western, PA. Very lucky to be alive.

Wow...I hope you guys took a moment to thank your lucky stars.

Turbo3Iroc
07-06-2009, 01:31 PM
Yea pretty scary story Mike.

What happened to your windshield Troy?

My windshield cracked while at the parts store getting the cam seal for Baker. It needed it because there was a lot of chips in it anyway. Nothing quite like an original though.

BadAssPerformance
07-06-2009, 01:33 PM
I had to have the windshield replace in the CSX while at SDAC. I'm really not too happy about that. :o

The 11th commandment clearly states that Troy shall not have a factory windshield glass in any of his vehicals no matter how low the milage is....:mad::mad:

Ouch that sucks :(

+1 what happened?

turbojerk
07-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Ouch that sucks :(

+1 what happened?

Not sure exactly when that it happened but it must have been on the way back from hospitality night. Apparently a rock hit the upper edge of the glass and didn't reveal itself until the next morning with a 12" crack....:mad:

BadAssPerformance
07-06-2009, 09:33 PM
Ouch :(

fleckster
07-07-2009, 02:12 PM
As Ralph stated, Jackson was a busy man and helped my by showing (doing!) me the installation of the Ti Retainers on my Spirit that I've had in the glove box since SDAC-14! He also helped by correctly (I obviously wasn't checking it correctly!) adjusting the tension on my Timing Belt. The engine has never been quiet but it is now! Again, thanks Jackson!!! :hail:

To Add to the list of repairs was the trailer tire blow-out on the way to Cincy on Friday evening. Lucky for me, it just blew off the tread and still held air and rode on the belts. I was worried about Carla behind me driving the LeBaron with the top down but she was able to miss the debris. We were able to pull off the interstate as it happened right at the Shelbyville exit and we were able to pull it over to Walmart to get a replacement tire and get back on the road.

badandy
07-07-2009, 02:39 PM
Thanks Ken and Andy, good times!!!

It was a pleaseure to get to know you better Joey!

jonnyb
07-08-2009, 08:34 AM
Hmmmm....is there an SDAC windshield breakage curse? I woke up and was getting ready to head out and the windshield on my truck had a huge split in it about 20 inches long. It didn't spread on the 800 mile drive home, but it did allow me to have a nice whistling noise the whole ride home!

Other than that, I did an axle swap in the hotel parking lot right before the drags. It was making a nice clunking sound so I figured better to change it out before I snapped it at the track and wasted precious racing time changing it out.

Jon

BadAssPerformance
07-08-2009, 07:09 PM
Wow thats wierd... maybe their is? I know last time at Cincy (SDAC-15) MoparBoyy put his azz thru the NYer windsheild!

cordes
07-09-2009, 12:10 AM
Perhaps I brought the cracked windshield mojo with me?

larryB
07-28-2009, 12:14 AM
I hope to not make this list next year.:banghead:

But I would like to thank everybody that helped and for all the offers of help with my repairs.
For those that were not there, I towed the Sundance for the first time with my 1993 Caravan. The transmission (A670) went out in the van about 60 miles from the hotel. I got the van towed to the hotel. I arrived late Saturday night and before the van is even unhooked from the tow truck Alan and Brian are talking about getting a group together to do a transmission swap or rebuild the next day. I declined the offer because I really didn't want to be working on the van in the hotel parking lot in the heat. My original plan was to tow it home with the Sundance, but Sunday night we took a closer look at the hitch Andy (with the black turbo wagon) was going to loan me and found out it would not bolt up to the Sundance due to some frame mods I made. So it was either go home and get my custom hitch or swap transmissions. Monday morning I decided to hit a few junk yards and see what I could find. Well I pulled one out of an Acclaim at a pull-n-pay yard. Rob (Ohiorob) made a special trip back to the hotel Tuesday morning and installed a rebuild kit in it and helped me get it installed. On the first test drive it wasn't down shifting sometimes when you came to a stop but by the time I made my first gas stop on the way home it was working perfectly and it still is :thumb:.
Thanks again Rob :hail: also Tracy for helping lift it back in.

2.216VTurbo
07-28-2009, 12:40 AM
Yeah, I don't like anyone wrenching on my cars either Larry;) I had to leave a day early though and missed the final wrenching party on the van. Night before I was pretty 'embibed':partywoot: and useless anyway unless it was a fireworks fight:lol:

Juggy
07-28-2009, 11:53 AM
i split about 5 gallons on 115 all over the parking lot. fuel line from the pump to the hanger came off and i lost pressure!
lost all the gas when i was tryin to lower the car slowly, but twitched and it came crashing down. got some in my eyes too, and that stuff BURNS (fuel was neon green color)

i had a cut on my back and the gas ate into it nice, i still have the scar. fuel sock fell off after that, and car could only muster 45 psi fuel pressure @ the track running 25 pounds of boost lol
got the car limped home and cleaned out the filter on the pump, its all good now...just experiencing other issues, damn TDs

larryB
07-28-2009, 01:35 PM
Yeah, I don't like anyone wrenching on my cars either Larry;) I had to leave a day early though and missed the final wrenching party on the van. Night before I was pretty 'embibed':partywoot: and useless anyway unless it was a fireworks fight:lol:

It's just I hate to have anybody else wasting there vacation time working on my piece of junk if there is anyway possible for me to do it myself. If I would have listened to my brother I would have had the hitch for the Sundance with me and nobody would have had to work on it.

Alan you were one of the few who saw me pulling the old transmission in the dark Tuesday morning and offered to help. It was around 2:00am. So thanks again, the offers were appreciated.
Also you were right about the boost problem with the Sundance, it was just a dirty grainger valve. I finally got around to looking at it last week. I cleaned it out and went to the local track last Wednesday, got 2 passes in 11.5@127on the first pass and 11.2@124 on the second. the positive coil wire broke just before the traps on the second pass and I coasted through to by best time ever. Every now and then I make a pass without missing gears or bogging off the line :)

cordes
07-28-2009, 02:34 PM
It's just I hate to have anybody else wasting there vacation time working on my piece of junk if there is anyway possible for me to do it myself. If I would have listened to my brother I would have had the hitch for the Sundance with me and nobody would have had to work on it.

Alan you were one of the few who saw me pulling the old transmission in the dark Tuesday morning and offered to help. It was around 2:00am. So thanks again, the offers were appreciated.
Also you were right about the boost problem with the Sundance, it was just a dirty grainger valve. I finally got around to looking at it last week. I cleaned it out and went to the local track last Wednesday, got 2 passes in 11.5@127on the first pass and 11.2@124 on the second. the positive coil wire broke just before the traps on the second pass and I coasted through to by best time ever. Every now and then I make a pass without missing gears or bogging off the line :)

Congrats on the new best time Larry. However, if you could refrain from calling your car a piece of junk that would be great. It's offensive. :thumb:

BadAssPerformance
07-28-2009, 06:59 PM
+1 congrats on the new time! Please click the link in my signature to update our list! :thumb:

J&G_BlueGLH
07-29-2009, 01:46 PM

I was there and I saw that sh*t! :nod:

I saw a small chip in it on the day of the wedding, and thought that was the one that spread, hoping that it didnt that day.. but didnt realize it was from something else, which sucks. Oh well, my avatar is worth money now, it has the original windshield! :D

2.216VTurbo
07-30-2009, 01:14 AM
;) Grainger valves work sweet when they are clean and sealing well.:eyebrows: I knew if you had a double spring, and kept tightening it without much change, it *had* to be a sealing issue. Sweet on the nearly-a-10-pass:clap: