PDA

View Full Version : SDAC Newsletter???

ShelbyMotorsports
04-30-2006, 04:15 PM
Anyone get one lately?

Last one I got is from back in November 2005.

I posted this on td.com but I got a feeling there is not much SDAC activity going on there anymore so I figured I would post here also.

GLHS592
04-30-2006, 05:51 PM
I was wondering the same.

peteknoll
04-30-2006, 08:44 PM
Per Barry's reply on turbododge, "it should be in the mail by the middle of the week."

sdac guy
05-03-2006, 01:04 PM
Issue 106 of Up Front was mailed this afternoon.

Again, I am very sorry about the delay since the last issue.

Barry

Holley
05-04-2006, 08:07 AM
cool, I just thought my membership had run out ...

sdac guy
05-04-2006, 02:46 PM
I just thought my membership had run out ...Nah, not yours! With the articles you've supplied you're good for a long time yet. I didn't get part 3 in this issue, but it will be in the next.

Barry

Holley
05-04-2006, 03:27 PM
Glad to hear you've got enough to keep you going ;)

denviola
05-05-2006, 06:51 PM
Received mine today. Barry, nice job as usual .

87glhs232
05-05-2006, 07:13 PM
Received mine as well. Read it front to back :thumb: . Nice piece on the flow #'s.

GLHS592
05-05-2006, 07:33 PM
I got mine today too. I can't believe it didn't get trashed like usual.

I was hoping there would be more on the Quick 8.

sdac guy
05-05-2006, 08:00 PM
I was hoping there would be more on the Quick 8.I can only report the results I was given, and I was only given winner & runner up (and the few notes on other races were all on the sheet given me). Since I sat at the track gate all day, I didn't see any of the racing at all, so I'm not able to give a personal report on it.

Barry

Turbodave
05-05-2006, 08:19 PM
Got my newsletter today also, came in perfect condition, great article on intake flow numbers!

reject
05-06-2006, 11:31 AM
Barry .. who would i talk to/how would i go about seeing when my membership is up? it should be getting close i think ..

sdac guy
05-06-2006, 11:44 AM
I just checked your expiration date and it is 6/1/06. However, as explained in the newsletter, you will probably still get a couple newsletters after that date, since I am somewhat behind in my publishing schedule.

But if you want to take advantage of the extra 6 months offer, that renewal offer ends June 1, so it must be done before then to get the extra 6 months.

Barry

mo' parts
05-06-2006, 12:48 PM
got mine yesterday also, thanks barry, and keep up the good work.
oh, and thanks for the extra time, i didnt realize mine was up till yesterday:)
i better get on it!

Frank
05-06-2006, 01:14 PM
You out did yourself on this issue. Thanks for the plugs!!!!

supercrackerbox
05-06-2006, 06:22 PM
:eek: *Runs out to the mailbox . . . .:bolt:

:(

Holley
05-08-2006, 05:38 PM
Got mine today :)

Great stuff, interesting numbers on the intake article and the other stuff made for a good read - keep up the good work Barry (and contributors) :)

Directconnection
05-08-2006, 08:57 PM
Got mine today :)

Great stuff, interesting numbers on the intake article and the other stuff made for a good read - keep up the good work Barry (and contributors) :)

Hi James, I just got my copy today. (Thanks Barry)

The 2-piece lower half tests are interesting to me. The article contains the flow #s of both bottom halves I tested, but they may be overlooked. Basically, the lower half is more of a flow loss vs the upper plenum half if you look at the differences of flow losses. (2 piece flow minus bottom runner flow = upper plenum flow...basically speaking)

Holley
05-09-2006, 04:26 AM
In other words, port matching just the bottom piece is a worthwhile exercise :)

John B
05-09-2006, 10:59 AM
Looks like a lot of work is needed on #3 & #4 on the two-piece. I wonder how opening the two piece to 52mm would affect things?

Directconnection
05-09-2006, 12:36 PM
I don't have the article or my #s here at work. I tested two 1-piece intakes and two 2-piece intakes. One 1-piece intake was 100% bone stock. The other had the humps removed in the runners and was ported for a 52 mm TB. The difference between the two were only a couple cfm which was attributed to the hump removal. I come to this conclusion because when I tested the two 2-piece intakes, one was 100% stock, and the other *ONLY* had the hump removal in the runners. Stock opening for the TB. Same couple cfm gain.

If opening for a 52mm TB, I'd suggest welding the stud holes in the intake for the stock TB location, and then offset to the right as much as you can offset it using the 52mm TB as a template. Scribe new stud locations and drill/tap for new location. This makes it so no material will be removed from the short side making the short side...even shorter when porting for that bigger TB. BTW... all stock 46mm TB's I have seen are never online with the intake's opening from the factory. Reversion...

AS for the 2-piece lower half's runners showing up as most of the restriction... as James mentioned, I personally don't think port matching will gain much if not anything at all. The flow loss I believe comes from the runner volume and length.

The old myth was that the 90 degree turn on the intake was a major restriction... with these #s I find it a moot point to cut off the 90.

sdac guy
05-09-2006, 12:39 PM
Looks like a lot of work is needed on #3 & #4 on the two-piece. I wonder how opening the two piece to 52mm would affect things?When the bare head flows best on port #4 (.5 lift), and still flows best on port #4 with the 1 pc intake, but flows worst on port #4 with either the entire 2pc or just the lower half, yep there is some work needed in those runners.

It would have been interesting to have been able to also test with one of those little conical devices Ed Peters used to sell in order to see if they really made a difference as he claimed (magic in a cone :lol: ).

Barry

Holley
05-09-2006, 04:23 PM
AS for the 2-piece lower half's runners showing up as most of the restriction... as James mentioned, I personally don't think port matching will gain much if not anything at all. The flow loss I believe comes from the runner volume and length.
Well, there's no easy way to reduce either of those, but with the runners being long I was thinking port matching would help keep the velocity up; of course this is just layman's thinking ;)

Quite a few people are under the impression that the 2-piece is distinctly superior (especially on 2.5s), that goes against the numbers at face value ... would be nice to get ones hands on the original testing figures from the two intake's development!

Directconnection
05-09-2006, 08:32 PM
Well, there's no easy way to reduce either of those, but with the runners being long I was thinking port matching would help keep the velocity up; of course this is just layman's thinking ;)

Quite a few people are under the impression that the 2-piece is distinctly superior (especially on 2.5s), that goes against the numbers at face value ... would be nice to get ones hands on the original testing figures from the two intake's development!

All port matching does in ensure that the runners line up and have smooth transitions from one to another so there's no reversion. Dave Vizard has mentioned that the gains found in port matching are just about non existant. I have seen people get carried away opening up both mating areas and all this can do is mess up the tuning and also lessen the velocity. Large openings mean more volume which usually means lower velocity. A trick to do when porting the short turn is to widen the floor. This slows the air down so it can make the turn easier.

John B
05-10-2006, 03:34 AM
Steve, what do you think a 52mm on the two piece would do?

Holley
05-10-2006, 07:08 AM
Thanks for clearing that up Steve :) Any chance of getting some numbers on ported heads now? :D

Directconnection
05-10-2006, 12:16 PM
Steve, what do you think a 52mm on the two piece would do?

1st off... everyone here should know that I don't profess to be an expert of cylinder head porting and flow,etc. But, I do feel I have enough knowledge to back up my statements whether it be 1st hand experience, or from the learnings of other fellow head porters.

Now that is out of the way... I don't think opening up the 2-piece to the 52mm TB diameter will amount to much, either. I feel the gain with be from the flow loss (pressure drop) of the 52mm from the stock 46. The flow loss I feel is *at* the TB itself. Opening up the manifold after the bigger tb is attached will aid in the flow.

I know... I should do another test on what the intake flows with the different TBs, huh?

turbovanmanČ
05-11-2006, 01:57 AM
Got mine today. Heres my take on it. The 2 piece by itself flows more than the one piece. Put them on a stock head and then they pretty well even out as shown by you Steve. I bet on a heavilly ported head, the 2 piece will shine. Also, you noted about torque so the one piece is good for a light car, the 2 piece good for a heavy car/van, in stockinsh configuration.
I do believe that opening up the lower plenum holes will stop some reversion as the port mismatch is insane. Leaving the top plenum alone will keep the tuning effect. I have a heavily ported head and 2 piece on my van and pull 10 inches of vacuum at 120 km/h, on my last setup with a stock head and one piece, I was at 0 inches or boost, :(

Clay
05-11-2006, 09:01 AM
got my newsletter the other day, and hadn't got a chance to read it yet.

Last night after dinner I caught the wifey reading it, before I even got a chance to open in! ;)

sdac guy
06-12-2006, 02:28 PM
Just to let you folks know, issue #107 of Up Front was mailed today.

If you don't get yours within a week to ten days, please don't hesitate to let me know and I will drop another in the mail to you.

Barry

Holley
06-12-2006, 02:39 PM
Wow, quick turnaround this time! Good work Barry, looking forward to reading it :)

87glhs232
06-12-2006, 07:27 PM
:clap2: :cheer2: :dancingbana:

2.216VTurbo
06-12-2006, 07:47 PM
Just to let you folks know, issue #107 of Up Front was mailed today.

If you don't get yours within a week to ten days, please don't hesitate to let me know and I will drop another in the mail to you.

Barry

I'm on a few of the better known SD/TD forums and get on almost every day but I still like reading the club newsletter:D Back when I was writing a VERY MINIMAL newsletter for the CASDAC, I was always amazed at how much work it was... Thanks for taking the effort Barry:thumb:

87glhs232
06-12-2006, 09:49 PM
I'm on a few of the better known SD/TD forums and get on almost every day but I still like reading the club newsletter:D Back when I was writing a VERY MINIMAL newsletter for the CASDAC, I was always amazed at how much work it was... Thanks for taking the effort Barry:thumb:

Alan - One of these months I'll have to come up there to meet you guys. Kinda hard to make a 2 hour drive after work to go to dinner on a Thursday night lol :) Do you ever meet on other days?

2.216VTurbo
06-13-2006, 01:41 AM
Alan - One of these months I'll have to come up there to meet you guys. Kinda hard to make a 2 hour drive after work to go to dinner on a Thursday night lol :) Do you ever meet on other days?
Aw C'mon, we have a guy that drives from 29 Palms each meeting-way further than San Diego.:D Heck I have to drive to SD two nights this week for dinner meetings. Kind of hard to say no to the second and third glass when the clients are ordering $100+ bottles of wine:( Sleep is overrated...

87glhs232
06-14-2006, 07:30 PM
Aw C'mon, we have a guy that drives from 29 Palms each meeting-way further than San Diego.:D Heck I have to drive to SD two nights this week for dinner meetings. Kind of hard to say no to the second and third glass when the clients are ordering $100+ bottles of wine:( Sleep is overrated...
:faint:
^ thats me the next day at work :D

Holley
06-16-2006, 03:10 PM
Got my Up Front today :) Great bit on the bracket racing - much respect to Angelo!

(I'd better go write something, lol)

Frank
06-16-2006, 03:17 PM
GOt mine today. Thanks for the e-mail update dude.

sdac guy
06-16-2006, 04:11 PM
Got my Up Front today :) Great bit on the bracket racing - much respect to Angelo!

(I'd better go write something, lol)

Angelo is quite a guy (and I just got word last week, a new father from his second marriage). He's never been much for internet presence, but he used to be a frequent poster to the SDML.

He's had a few TM's over the years and he was one of the first in the 11's in his Omni. What boost/engine wouldn't do, NOS did. :D He raced the car on weekends, and but drove it for his son's paper route during the week.

When competition got tough and he needed even more, he would yank the jets from the NOS/fuel feeds and run direct from the solenoids. He said he ran so much NOS that when crossing the finish line at the drag strip, his intake charge temp would be about 72 degrees (on a T1 log manifold, no intercooler). :lol:

Even though he is considered an amateur bracket racer, and his Matchbox Horizon runs consistent 16's, he always has his portable weather station with him at the strip. Keeps an eye on temperature, humidity, and barometric pressure, and he has enough experience that he knows how changes in any of them will affect the car's performance (exactly). The car never runs more than a couple hundredths off it's dial in, and he is consistent in his reaction times.

No wonder he has more wins/championships to his credit than could be listed in the space of this message.

Barry

turbovanmanČ
06-16-2006, 04:19 PM
Just got my newsletter today, thanks! :nod:

Holley
06-16-2006, 05:56 PM
The car never runs more than a couple hundredths off it's dial in, and he is consistent in his reaction times.
I'm hoping to run the Daytona or Charger in bracket racing next year, having a slower car may well help on the consistency but my reaction times are catatonic compared to Angelos, lol.

sdac guy
07-06-2006, 11:53 AM
With every mailing I am closer to getting "caught up" to where I should be in the newsletter schedule. And this morning I put Issue # 108 of Up Front in the mail.

The next issue is scheduled for mid August and will have details of our fun at SDAC-16 in it.

Barry

Turbodave
07-06-2006, 06:30 PM
There must be a hot chick working at Barry's post office or something....

Holley
07-07-2006, 01:16 PM
There must be a hot chick working at Barry's post office or something....
ROFL :D

sdac guy
07-07-2006, 10:24 PM
The guy (Dave) in the bulk mail center that usually handles our mailing is almost my age. Nice guy, knows his job, knows my name. When I drop off the newsletters and he is there it is "no worries" as far as I'm concerned. I know he will get them out that day.

So yesterday when I get there, he's not there, some guy in his late 20's. I start to worry immediately. My biggest fear is that our FIRST CLASS mailing will get treated like 3rd Class bulk mail which could sit on the dock for 2-3 weeks before getting processed. It has happened when I first started using the bulk imprint, but not in the last few years at all.

So I see the "kid" grab the first class labels and stick them on the trays as I am putting the newsletters in them. First hurdle down ...

I mail myself a newsletter just so I can see that things go out and get processed timely. When I got mine in the mail today, I breathed a sigh of relief! :thumb:

So a hot chick??? No, not at all. There used to be a girl in her 20's that worked the bulk center also. She was not hot, and she always seemed to be in PMS mode, always rude. I haven't seen her there in a couple of years though.

Barry

denviola
07-09-2006, 01:25 PM
Just got back from the weekend at Carlisle, and there was a brand new newsletter in the mail. Thanks! Nice job as usual!
P.S. The SDAC and Turbo-Mopar shirts were exhibited by a large number of people at Carlisle. Met a couple of SDAC members from Virginia and Florida that don't do internet, so they were new names. Carlisle was well attended by the TD community. See some of y'all in 9 days in KS!

John B
08-23-2006, 10:03 AM
When the bare head flows best on port #4 (.5 lift), and still flows best on port #4 with the 1 pc intake, but flows worst on port #4 with either the entire 2pc or just the lower half, yep there is some work needed in those runners.

It would have been interesting to have been able to also test with one of those little conical devices Ed Peters used to sell in order to see if they really made a difference as he claimed (magic in a cone :lol: ).

Barry

I'm starting work on my two piece upper now. How should I approach improving flow to cylinders 3 and 4? Raise the ports or bias them toward the neck? Or none of the above? :confused: What was the purpose of the conical insert that Peters used?

sdac guy
08-23-2006, 12:59 PM
I'm starting work on my two piece upper now. How should I approach improving flow to cylinders 3 and 4? Raise the ports or bias them toward the neck? Or none of the above? :confused: I can recognize the pattern in the data, but I don't have a clue about porting correctly, or to cure the problem. Maybe Steve (directconnection) can chime in.

What was the purpose of the conical insert that Peters used? He claimed it modified the airflow when the velocity into the plenum was high. Without it he said there was a pressure wave set up when the airflow hit the end of the plenum that reflected back up toward the tb. With it the pressure wave was dispersed/deflected.

And about my pun ...
One of Ed's tag lines was always "There ain't no magic in a can." Referring to all the odds & ends products marketed to fix internal engine problems. So obviously he felt there was "magic in a cone". :eyebrows: :eyebrows:

Barry

John B
08-23-2006, 01:25 PM
Thanks, that actually makes sense. Now, where to get a cone...

John B
08-29-2006, 08:09 AM
I'm currently hand working a hunk of 6061 aluminum to make a cone for the plenum. Does anyone know what angle Peters used on his cone?:confused:

BadAssPerformance
08-29-2006, 08:32 AM
I'm currently hand working a hunk of 6061 aluminum to make a cone for the plenum. Does anyone know what angle Peters used on his cone?:confused:

Check out the Cone Thread (http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7336) I made for you...

sdac guy
02-21-2007, 04:41 AM
We're getting closer to the next issue folks. I put the finishing touches on it yesterday and it will go off to the printer later today. Should be in the mail by early next week (printer turn around is usually 3-4 days).

Barry

DC Turismo
02-24-2007, 08:45 PM
Sounds good! We're looking forward to getting it!!!

2.216VTurbo
02-25-2007, 12:50 AM
We're getting closer to the next issue folks. I put the finishing touches on it yesterday and it will go off to the printer later today. Should be in the mail by early next week (printer turn around is usually 3-4 days).

Barry

Still loving the color pics Barry... Makes them worth saving, actually I think I have 15 years worth of B&W's around somewhere too:o

sdac guy
03-01-2007, 05:19 PM
Finally back from the printer this morning, issue #110 was mailed this afternoon.

Barry

supercrackerbox
03-01-2007, 05:50 PM
On the downside, a buddy of mine is a truck driver for the U.S. Mail carriers. He's currently sitting on the side of I-80 somewhere between Des Moines and Council Bluffs waiting for them to re-open the interstate.

86Shelby
03-01-2007, 07:38 PM
^^^ I'm calling him now! He'd better hurry so he can do it again tomorrow. I want my issue dangit!!! :lol:

supercrackerbox
03-01-2007, 07:45 PM
Well I highly doubt that it's on his truck, he's been there since this morning. I'm just saying a lot of mail might be a day or two behind schedule.

sdac guy
03-01-2007, 08:21 PM
I left the bulk mail center at the Warren MI po at about 3pm eastern. I suspect that after 5pm it went off to the Royal Oak MI regional sorting center. It is just after 7pm now, I would be surprised if any of them are out of Michigan yet.

I've seen on the news the severe weather you guys are having. Big mess. All we got here today was a mix of very cold rain and snow. No freezing as it was too warm, but being outside in that stuff sucked ... icy cold rain hitting my bald head ....

Barry

Birddog
03-04-2007, 05:48 AM
Got mine yesterday.. Thanks!

Turbodave
03-06-2007, 05:09 PM
Got mine on Monday, haven't had a chance to read it yet but looks nice!

BadAssPerformance
03-06-2007, 10:13 PM
Got mine today. Good issue as always! :thumb:

denviola
03-07-2007, 07:18 PM
Read mine today. Hurry up, SDAC 17!
Barry, Nice job as usual!

BadAssPerformance
03-07-2007, 07:25 PM
heck, I'll need every bit of time till 17 to get some kinda car together so i dont have to roll the POS Shadow, LOL

johnl
03-08-2007, 03:08 PM
Nice write up about ME! ME! ME! at SAAC :thumb: :nod: Thanks Craig.:nod:

GLHS069
03-08-2007, 06:02 PM
It was a good article.
Can we now call you "Mr. Smith"?

Nice write up about ME! ME! ME! at SAAC :thumb: :nod: Thanks Craig.:nod:

speeddemon
03-09-2007, 09:50 AM
It was a pleasure to write about the Vegas trip and meeting up with you guys John. Sorry it took sooooo long to get out. Glad you enjoyed it.

BTW how's that car of yours doing now? Washed it yet?:) (just kidding of course)

BadAssPerformance
04-23-2007, 08:01 PM
Got the newsletter today and as usual it looks great Barry!

sdac guy
06-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Issue 112 was mailed today. It has maps and directions in it for the folks only coming to SDAC-17 for the day (car show or drag race).

I will have the same info on the SDAC website later next week.

Also, they shorted me a pre-addressed newsletter again. So if in a week or so, you don't get one, let me know.

And even though I ordered them double sealed they came with the single seal in the middle, so post office damage to them could be pretty bad.

Barry

BadAssPerformance
06-08-2007, 10:16 PM
Cool!

*goes to mailbox to wait*

mo' parts
06-12-2007, 08:44 AM
got mine yesterday! thanks Barry, good write up on the glh too:thumb:
the post office wasnt too bad on mine....

MiniMopar
06-12-2007, 10:15 AM
Got mine yesterday. Nice GLH article, Dave. It inspired me to dig up an article I was working on....

johnl
06-12-2007, 09:10 PM
Read Dave's GLH article this AM. Very thorough. Well done.

Turbodave
06-18-2007, 06:34 PM
Read Dave's GLH article this AM. Very thorough. Well done.

Thanks! Based on experience from owning at least 10 different GLH's in the last 10 years.

sdac guy
07-27-2007, 02:23 PM
Issue 113, our annual full color issue, was mailed this afternoon. It has 55 color photos and part 1 of two articles covering SDAC-17.

Should see it in a mailbox near you soon!

Barry

BadAssPerformance
07-27-2007, 03:02 PM
Sweeet!

:)

supercrackerbox
07-28-2007, 05:09 AM
Crap, I just remembered I need to send you a change of address . . .

Not to worry, I'll still get it from the old address.

cordes
07-28-2007, 11:18 AM
Good stuff, I can't wait to read it.

Captain Chaos
07-28-2007, 04:01 PM
Sweeet!

:)

:D Makes me think of the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown.

DC Turismo
07-29-2007, 01:17 AM
WOOT! Reading about how the Steelers are going to destroy every team in the NFL this year is getting old, so this will be a good change of topic! hahaha

BadAssPerformance
07-29-2007, 02:07 AM
LOL, thats funny... the Tribure article about minivan racing is on the front page right below a big picture of Urlacher and Benson about camp.

85shelbycharger
07-30-2007, 03:39 PM
Who's Urlacher?? :confused: :lol: OH! He's that guy that Reggie Bush outran in the playoffs last year and pointed at as he scored a touchdown! :p

DC Turismo
07-30-2007, 05:07 PM
Got our newsletters today! I think they're the best looking ones ever. Thanks for including all of those great colored pictures Barry! And next year we'll have to knit you a sweater if you were that cold hahaha!

cordes
07-30-2007, 06:10 PM
Got our newsletters today! I think they're the best looking ones ever. Thanks for including all of those great colored pictures Barry! And next year we'll have to knit you a sweater if you were that cold hahaha!

I agree that the newsletters look great. I received mine today also, and could not be happier with the beautiful pics of all the cars.

mcsvt
07-30-2007, 06:52 PM
AH! Last newsletter, membership expired!

Must remember to renew!

cordes
07-30-2007, 07:46 PM
AH! Last newsletter, membership expired!

Must remember to renew!

Same here thanks for reminding me.

BadAssPerformance
07-30-2007, 10:31 PM
AWESOME NEWSLETTER!!! Good job Barry & Craig! :thumb:

85shelbycharger
07-30-2007, 11:38 PM
AWESOME NEWSLETTER!!! Good job Barry & Craig! :thumb:

+1 :thumb: