PDA

View Full Version : Qualifying times?

Warren Stramer
07-01-2009, 12:22 PM
Nice cars, videos and photos, but who ran what at the SDAC drags? Who was low qualifyer? Where is Reeves?

Juggy
07-01-2009, 02:43 PM
last qualifier i believe was cindy/james FWDP SRT 4 neon

but im pretty sure it had a best pass of 11.7

reeves had a wastegate problem (stuck open 5psi max)

supposively it was the fastest quick 8 group in SDAC history....I was really looking forward to getting into the Q8 but my fuel pump begged to differ (40 psi fuel pressure @ 25 psi boost = thank god for JE pistons :lol:)

DaveSkrab
07-01-2009, 02:52 PM
John Berube was in the #8 spot running an 11.86. #1 was Brian Slowe at 10.35. Pachner, Bender, Marra, Buford, Stille were other names in the field... crap! can't remember the other one.

the Final round was AMAZING to see!

30 PSI SHADOW
07-01-2009, 04:24 PM
[QUOTE=DaveSkrab;514499]John Berube was in the #8 spot running an 11.86.

Jon beat me out on that qualifiying run. My rampage ran 11.93. Too bad as i ran 11.78 right after that. phhhh

i will get there next time!!:(

csxtra
07-01-2009, 04:29 PM
Where is Reeves?

Reeves was fighting a sticking swingvalve, either too much boost or not enough.

On his last run he came out of the hole like a bat out of h3ll, but after shifting to 3rd, the boost fell to about 10psi and wouldn't come back up because the flapper was stuck open. Sounded like a stocker going for a leisurely cruise on the big end of the track.

BadAssPerformance
07-01-2009, 04:58 PM
John Berube was in the #8 spot running an 11.86. #1 was Brian Slowe at 10.35. Pachner, Bender, Marra, Buford, Stille were other names in the field... crap! can't remember the other one.

the Final round was AMAZING to see!

I qualified 6th with an 11.70@122.. car was not happy thru the run tho... Anyone get video of that pass?

Rampage16V
07-01-2009, 10:15 PM
I qualified 2nd with a 10.56@132 vids loading on you tube now under rampage16v

Warren Stramer
07-01-2009, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the info guys, Judging by the videos you had some nice weather conditions. How was the track?

cordes
07-01-2009, 11:28 PM
I would like to say thanks to all the participants at the drag strip on Monday, but especially to all the quick 8 guys. What a show that was put on. IIRC there were 4 cars in the 10s, and I watched multiple runs with two cars running 10s at once. That was great to see!

BadAssPerformance
07-01-2009, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the info guys, Judging by the videos you had some nice weather conditions. How was the track?

Track was decent... they prepped it again before the Q8 qualifying... 1.78's spinning all the way thru 1st but hooking in 2nd.

30 PSI SHADOW
07-01-2009, 11:47 PM
JT, you get the boat award, with your daytona. Congrats

2.216VTurbo
07-01-2009, 11:50 PM

And if I remember correctly, there was a fast blue Rampage that cut a 1.72 short time:hail:

sdac guy
07-02-2009, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the info guys, Judging by the videos you had some nice weather conditions. How was the track?It would have been the coolest daytime racing ever for us if we raced during the day. High was 81 I think, but evening was perfect. By the way ALL the runs were heading INTO a headwind which at times was pretty heavy. I lost the papers on the SDAC table a couple times and had to have them weighted down most of the evening.

We paid extra for them to VHT the whole track, from start to finish. They sprayed right before the Q8 competition runs began.

Barry

ATaylorRacing
07-02-2009, 08:36 AM
I usually spin badley there when I race the United Manual Transmission Racers series, but I only spun at a consistant rate Monday, about 1/10th worse in rt lane. My 1st 3 passes were 13.50 to 13.54 and then I let my car run to keep it hot in case we needed to hot lap so latter passes were 13.68-13.78 range. My having about 3/4 tank of fuel didn't help compared to a bit under 1/4 during the UMTR series races....I usually run 13.17-13.37 then. At Indy I run 12.98-13.17s with tons of hook. The track was the best I have seen it in the last 2 years.

BadAssPerformance
07-02-2009, 09:33 AM

LOL, thanks... kinda hard with a 500+ lb disadvantage... Glad to see the T-III 'Page hit 11's too! :thumb:

30 PSI SHADOW
07-02-2009, 11:15 AM
And if I remember correctly, there was a fast blue Rampage that cut a 1.72 short time:hail:

Yes, it must be the extra wheelbase... By the way, what WAS the best short time for a street legal car?

R/T
07-02-2009, 12:29 PM
The track was the best I have seen it in the last 2 years.

Maybe it pays to have a loyal 25 year E Water customer on our side... :eyebrows:

I went up and checked the track surface before & after the spray, HUGE difference in tack.

Starter guy said if we were breaking things ( Slasky?) they were doing their job. :nod:

contraption22
07-02-2009, 12:36 PM
Yes, it must be the extra wheelbase... By the way, what WAS the best short time for a street legal car?

I'll have to check my slips, but I think I did cut a 1.71.

contraption22
07-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Maybe it pays to have a loyal 25 year E Water customer on our side... :eyebrows:

I went up and checked the track surface before & after the spray, HUGE difference in tack.

Starter guy said if we were breaking things ( Slasky?) they were doing their job. :nod:

Definitely a huge improvement! I cut .2 off my 60 fts before and after track prep.

"Top Fuel" Bender
07-02-2009, 01:16 PM

yeah you 1.731 on our run at least
on 23.5's :hail:

I qualified with a 11.52
ran 11.07 in the T&T
but still qualified 5th with the 11.52

contraption22
07-02-2009, 05:42 PM
yeah you 1.731 on our run at least
on 23.5's :hail:

I qualified with a 11.52
ran 11.07 in the T&T
but still qualified 5th with the 11.52

So, where'd you pull that 1/2 second from? Did you wash your hands afterwards? lol

Hey can you take a digital pic or scan of that slip? Cannot seem to find mine.

BadAssPerformance
07-02-2009, 05:45 PM
So, where'd you pull that 1/2 second from? Did you wash your hands afterwards? lol

Maybe yer not the only one spraying Marra ;)

contraption22
07-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Maybe yer not the only one spraying Marra ;)

I owe I know he was sprayin! I wanna know how much!

All of the Quick 8 cars were either 16v, or 8v w/N20, and one 16v with N20.

DaveSkrab
07-02-2009, 08:59 PM
I qualified 6th with an 11.70@122.. car was not happy thru the run tho... Anyone get video of that pass?

F*CK me! I'm sorry JT! Don't know how I forgot about you!seeing the scoreboard light up 11.700!

Rampage16V
07-02-2009, 10:32 PM

That's really good Bill! And I agree on the wheel base cut one 1.70 on the first run of the day. Then 1.72 and 1.74's rest of the day

Warren Stramer
07-02-2009, 10:50 PM

What the hell??? EVERYTHING in this country is turning to sh!t.

contraption22
07-03-2009, 01:39 AM

Hey, gotta do what I gotta do to keep up. Woulda been cool to have you there to see if you could dominate with a no-juice 8v!

Shadow
07-03-2009, 10:15 AM

LMAO! No kidding....what ever happened to the thrill of "challenge"? Not knocking anyone here, but the greatest feeling I have gotten out of everything I've accomplished is the understanding that I never gave up or gave in! 99% of ppl would have gone auto (I almost did), would have gone 16v, would have gone N2O, Hell....would have gone RWD! I know the temptation is always there, but the reward is deminished (for me, anyways). Knowing that I'm driving (arguably) the most challenging format down the 1/4 mile is the ultimate reward every time I go to the track! :amen:

BadAssPerformance
07-03-2009, 10:27 AM

We needed you there Warren!

LMAO! No kidding....what ever happened to the thrill of "challenge"? Not knocking anyone here, but the greatest feeling I have gotten out of everything I've accomplished is the understanding that I never gave up or gave in! 99% of ppl would have gone auto (I almost did), would have gone 16v, would have gone N2O, Hell....would have gone RWD! I know the temptation is always there, but the reward is deminished (for me, anyways). Knowing that I'm driving (arguably) the most challenging format down the 1/4 mile is the ultimate reward every time I go to the track! :amen:

We needed you there too Shadow!

The funny thing... the 2.4L 16V in the Z is only making as much power as the 2.2L 8V did and has not gone any faster... yet

Reeves
07-03-2009, 11:23 AM

I believe on one pass I also had a 1.71 60ft.

:mad: My wastegate flapper kept the above statement true :mad:

I tried to help Warren!

Warren Stramer
07-03-2009, 12:02 PM
Honestly, when I saw Benders 10.69 in one of the videos I was going to email him and congradulate him for really stepping up, then I saw on the times database the 75 shot and thought WTF is that where this community is heading? To the ricer world.
Where's your self respect?Its like olympic records being shattered only to find out the "Athlete" who broke the record was on steroids.
No arguing N20 works, but its like fake boobs, flowers and christmas trees..feels real, looks real but it aint the real deal!
How much does a gutted Omni weigh anyhow?
I'm trying to figure out how to build a 9 second 8v g body, going thru all the work and expense, and all I would have to do is just install a spray system and buy my horsepower from the local welding supply house. Man am I a DUMB A$$!

BadAssPerformance
07-03-2009, 12:20 PM
Honestly, when I saw Benders 10.69 in one of the videos I was going to email him and congradulate him for really stepping up, then I saw on the times database the 75 shot and thought WTF is that where this community is heading? To the ricer world.
Where's your self respect?Its like olympic records being shattered only to find out the "Athlete" who broke the record was on steroids.
No arguing N20 works, but its like fake boobs, flowers and christmas trees..feels real, looks real but it aint the real deal!
I'm trying to figure out how to build a 9 second 8v g body, going thru all the work and expense, and all I would have to do is just install a spray system and buy my horsepower from the local welding supply house. Man am I a DUMB A$$!

Nothing wrong with nitrous or fake boobs, I like to play with both of them, but just wouldnt run them all the time.

I miss the 2.2L 8v in the Z.... and I cannot wait to see your 9 second 8V Warren, and will help you if I can :thumb:

briceturbosports
07-03-2009, 12:39 PM

benders car went 10.84 on motor and 10.69 on nos thats a .15 differance thats not that much :confused:

BadAssPerformance
07-03-2009, 04:10 PM
benders car went 10.84 on motor and 10.69 on nos thats a .15 differance thats not that much :confused:

WTF, was the nozzle pointed in the wrong direction :confused2:

2.216VTurbo
07-03-2009, 05:43 PM
WTF, was the nozzle pointed in the wrong direction :confused2:

He didn't have a pressure gauge on the bottle and to me it felt cool to the touch. I'd be suprised if he had 700-800 PSI in that bottle:o Next time out with a heater an 1100 PSI he'll 'notice' the gas a bit more:thumb:

Juggy
07-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Nothing wrong with nitrous or fake boobs, I like to play with both of them, but just wouldnt run them all the time.

I miss the 2.2L 8v in the Z.... and I cannot wait to see your 9 second 8V Warren, and will help you if I can :thumb:

fake tiits get boring over time, nothing beats the real deal :lol:

at least u can up the shot by changing a nozzle, helluva cheaper then a boob job :thumb:

GLHNSLHT2
07-03-2009, 07:14 PM
The funny thing... the 2.4L 16V in the Z is only making as much power as the 2.2L 8V did and has not gone any faster... yet

and the boost level difference between the two is?

BadAssPerformance
07-03-2009, 07:22 PM
and the boost level difference between the two is?

Amazingly enough, about the same... same turbo too. I think the difference is that the 2.4L will make more power above 6k.

GLHNSLHT2
07-03-2009, 07:55 PM
something wrong then? shouldn't the 16v make more power at a lower boost? :)If not then I'm wasting about 10grand converting over.

"Top Fuel" Bender
07-03-2009, 09:36 PM

I met my goal
8v fwd turbo 10's NON-COMMON BLOCK !!!!!!!
the oil pan hasn't been off since '97
the motor doesn't owe me anything
everyone considers me a cheater because of the car being lite
Stephane's car that everyone loves has me killed in the weight dept.
Reeve's car is a lot lighter then most think
I can't get a conv. to hold up in the car
I can't afford a $1000+ conv. and nobody wants to warranty/sponsor me with even all the $500 convertors I waste my money on ( level ten, NAN , ect...)
I don't have sponsors or make over $14/hr for that matter
The car runs good @ Cecil then gets shy when around other TD'ers
I'd love to show up and run boost only low 10's but with a kid and another on the way you have to do what you can
I made 6 passes, nothing broke and I'm ready for Carlisle next weekend
that's all that matters to me

I even asked Mike if he wanted me to turn off the bottle and he said run what I brung and hope it's enough (as he hid the 100 jets in his pocket :p)
I could piss and moan about not having a 16v or gt ballbearing turbo or transbrake or tube car
but I ran with the big dogs with all THEIR goodies and had fun doing it

I'm building a 16v rwd for a playcar, because I feel 16v fwd is a waste but that's my opinion as of now

sdac guy
07-03-2009, 09:49 PM
And in the Q8 finals Bruce, you only lost because of your late tree. Or maybe it was actually Brian's great RT. Either way your car still ran a quicker time.

Great run even if it was a low 11. Way to go man!! :thumb::thumb:

Barry

ATaylorRacing
07-03-2009, 09:56 PM
I can't afford a $1000+ conv. and nobody wants to warranty/sponsor me with even all the $500 convertors I waste my money on ( level ten, NAN , ect...)
I don't have sponsors or make over $14/hr for that mater.....

My 85 Omni GLH was having terrible issues with the stator grinding itself into alloy powder and sticking the solenoids....UNTIL I had Dave Coan of Coan converters build me one. He took the stock stator for a Mexican convertor (about 1000 rpm more stahl stock) and milled out the center section and pressed in a big roller bearing. He did not even bend over any fins. That car never gave me sticky solenoid troubles again and the cost was $200 back then....I hear the Mexican stator came to him via someones lunchbox from the tranny plant about 2 miles away here in Kokomo.

"Top Fuel" Bender
07-03-2009, 10:01 PM
And in the Q8 finals Bruce, you only lost because of your late tree. Or maybe it was actually Brian's great RT. Either way your car still ran a quicker time.

Barry

Thanks Barry
Yeah Brian killed me and my 60's were way off
1.82's compared to my usual 1.62's
.2's down low = about .4+ on the top
new slicks, new suspension
I tried airing the tires from 7.5-9.5-9 should've gone 8-8.5 but track time will tell

ATaylorRacing
07-03-2009, 10:03 PM
Nothing wrong with nitrous or fake boobs, I like to play with both of them, but just wouldnt run them all the time......

If you guys remember correctly I used to play a BUNCH with nitrous on my 85 GLH turbo. The internals and head were bone stock and on just motor and 14 psi of boost it ran an OK 14.0....add 150 hp shot of nitrous flowing through BIG solenoids and two foggers and it ran 11.89 at 118.....I even raced it in super pro class at Indy one day and dialed 11.99....all the guys I raced thought I could not make the brake and would beat me across the finish line... and break out! I won 5 rounds until I finally met someone that ran their own race, treed me by a tiny bit, then made me break out more than they did. It cost me about $100 of nitrous to win $250 that day. I drove the car to the tracks and never towed it....except one Mopar Nats where I tried to step up to 175 hp shot of nitrous and the fuel pump could not keep up resulting in lifting the head clean off the block, melting a chunk the size of my thumb out of the head, and melting the end of a valve clean off too. All that liquified metal went through the turbo and apparently did not hurt it!

"Top Fuel" Bender
07-03-2009, 10:06 PM
My 85 Omni GLH was having terrible issues with the stator grinding itself into alloy powder and sticking the solenoids....UNTIL I had Dave Coan of Coan converters build me one. He took the stock stator for a Mexican convertor (about 1000 rpm more stahl stock) and milled out the center section and pressed in a big roller bearing. He did not even bend over any fins. That car never gave me sticky solenoid troubles again and the cost was $200 back then....I hear the Mexican stator came to him via someones lunchbox from the tranny plant about 2 miles away here in Kokomo.

that's a cool story on it's own
my convertors always feel super tight
I know I'm not making 500-600 hp but I can barely get it bounce off a 3,200 rpm rev. limiter powerbraking it, turbo's spooling but not making any boost without the load on the turbo
My level ten felt good for 3 passes the mph dropped
the refused to do anything for me , put in a stock caravan conv. and picked up .3's and 7mph
same with the NAN conv., they told me nothing was wrong but came back totally different then when I shipped it without other changes to the car

BadAssPerformance
07-03-2009, 10:08 PM
If you guys remember correctly I used to play a BUNCH with nitrous on my 85 GLH turbo. The internals and head were bone stock and on just motor and 14 psi of boost it ran an OK 14.0....add 150 hp shot of nitrous flowing through BIG solenoids and two foggers and it ran 11.89 at 118.....I even raced it in super pro class at Indy one day and dialed 11.99....all the guys I raced thought I could not make the brake and would beat me across the finish line... and break out! I won 5 rounds until I finally met someone that ran their own race, treed me by a tiny bit, then made me break out more than they did. It cost me about $100 of nitrous to win $250 that day. I drove the car to the tracks and never towed it....except one Mopar Nats where I tried to step up to 175 hp shot of nitrous and the fuel pump could not keep up resulting in lifting the head clean off the block, melting a chunk the size of my thumb out of the head, and melting the end of a valve clean off too. All that liquified metal went through the turbo and apparently did not hurt it!

Was that when you emptied the radiator out of both ends of the head at the 60' line? If so I was next to you and remember the car dissappearing in smoke!

Oh I remember your bottle fed Omni :thumb: what was it, high 13's on motor, 11's on spray? ;) Was it SDAC-8 that the DC Intercooler leaked so you replaced the IC with a piece of pipe and the car didnt slow down? I'm a fan of the juice :)

ATaylorRacing
07-03-2009, 10:20 PM
....everyone considers me a cheater because of the car being lite
Stephane's car that everyone loves has me killed in the weight dept.....

I have old Matchbox down to 1810 lbs with the heater, wipers, front door glass and crank mechanisms in tact, a stock Neon seat, and front glass in tact. It used to be 1700 lbs, but I drive it on the street. I have already crunched the numbers and found that if I added 100 lbs to it to make it a porky 1910 lbs and stuck in the powertrain from the Pit Bull (with traction at Indy running 12.99 with about 280 hp) the old thing should run 11.55!!! The Pit Bull is 3065 with me in it....over 1000 lbs heavier than the Matchbox. I still use 93 octane pump gas in the Pit. To make a car with a total wt of 2160 lbs run a 10 flat would take a whopping 432 hp. A 10.5 would need 373 hp, and a VERY streetable and doable 325 hp would produce a 11.00 time! If I could only get a few extra $$$ to put in said 2.4 and soup it up to a stage three (the Pit is a modded stage 2) and stick it into old Matchbox then I could come out and play with you guys.:D:eyebrows:

Being a disgruntled retired Mail man with only $1909 per month clear doesn't leave me any room to play with....I need to sell more of those rims I was talking about at the awards banquet....(some of my Mustang rims fit 5x4.5 Chrysler products....I got started when I put Mustang Bullett GTs on my 2001 Voyager!!!

I was pleasantly shocked at how fast everybody ran in the quick 8. I can remember some early SDAC events when no one was in the 11s. :hail:

"Top Fuel" Bender
07-03-2009, 10:27 PM
I'm around 2010-2020lbs race weight

Warren Stramer
07-03-2009, 11:18 PM
I met my goal
8v fwd turbo 10's NON-COMMON BLOCK !!!!!!!
the oil pan hasn't been off since '97
the motor doesn't owe me anything
everyone considers me a cheater because of the car being lite
Stephane's car that everyone loves has me killed in the weight dept.
Reeve's car is a lot lighter then most think
I can't get a conv. to hold up in the car
I don't have sponsors or make over $14/hr for that matter
The car runs good @ Cecil then gets shy when around other TD'ers
I'd love to show up and run boost only low 10's but with a kid and another on the way you have to do what you can
I made 6 passes, nothing broke and I'm ready for Carlisle next weekend
that's all that matters to me

I even asked Mike if he wanted me to turn off the bottle and he said run what I brung and hope it's enough (as he hid the 100 jets in his pocket :p)
I could piss and moan about not having a 16v or gt ballbearing turbo or transbrake or tube car
but I ran with the big dogs with all THEIR goodies and had fun doing it

I'm building a 16v rwd for a playcar, because I feel 16v fwd is a waste but that's my opinion as of now

Ok Bruce, I guess I probably overstated my opinion, and I apologize if it sounded like I was singling you out. I was genuinely happy to see you in the final when I first saw the videos.
I have never thought lightening a car is cheating, but honestly what does your car weigh? (or any of the other Omni's ) cause I have weighed a customers and it was no where near what some here claim. Just curious, its like the best kept TD secret.
Taking weight out of a car is the only modification that works EVERY time.
I got my distaste for N20 way back before my turbo Mopar days when the local chevy guys couldn't keep up with our Dodges they always resorted to spray. Ever since I've considered it GEEK equipment. Each to their own. If you are having fun, nothing else matters.

But seriously, what do the 10 sec. L bodies REALLY weigh? I'm trying to figure out how much weight I'll have to take off my car to have a chance at nines.

Opps, I posted to late, Sorry

Rampage16V
07-04-2009, 12:34 AM
I weighed my car while there 2245 with me in it!

Juggy
07-04-2009, 01:09 AM
something wrong then? shouldn't the 16v make more power at a lower boost? :)If not then I'm wasting about 10grand converting over.

i thought everyone says the 16v conversion is cheap :faint:

Barry

ya barry is right, slowe is retardedly amazing on the pro tree, but it was an awesome race regardless!!! the 11.2 to the 11.7 had some people wondering why the lil omni didnt win, but its 1st person to cross the line wins

what was the et difference...it looked REAL close from the stands
i woulda been sleepin @ the line too, I was rooting for you (bender) regardless!!! would have been nice to see the 8v take out the 16v, and brian slowes for that matter!!! :evil:

:clap:

GLHNSLHT2
07-04-2009, 03:15 AM
i thought everyone says the 16v conversion is cheap :faint:

Not when you do a masi head, ported with all the cool RDI race parts, a FM shortblock with Ti rods and JE pistons, Then I've got to buy a GT35R, and a Water/Air i/c. Fab up all the lines and exhaust. And I'd really like to do a big custom beautiful tube header since I have plenty of room to put the turbo just about anywhere I want. Gonna be an expensive but hopefully worthwhile adventure.

ATaylorRacing
07-04-2009, 07:40 AM
Was that when you emptied the radiator out of both ends of the head at the 60' line? If so I was next to you and remember the car dissappearing in smoke!

Oh I remember your bottle fed Omni :thumb: what was it, high 13's on motor, 11's on spray? ;) Was it SDAC-8 that the DC Intercooler leaked so you replaced the IC with a piece of pipe and the car didnt slow down? I'm a fan of the juice :)

It didn't empty fluid from both ends of the head......it leaked from EVERYWHERE on the head since you could see a gap between head and block evenly across the motor, like someone loosened the head bolts and pulled it up a bit!

That car might have run 13.7-13.99 on a few very rare times, but 14.0s were the norm. The over the motor and through the hood Mopar inyrtcooler blew the entire side out of it from a nitrous sneeze and I replaced it in a pinch with some exhaust pipe. The car went from 14.0s to 15.0s immediately, but still ran 12.0s with the nitrous....which has its own cooling ability!

ATaylorRacing
07-04-2009, 07:53 AM
I weighed my car while there 2245 with me in it!

Using my drag strip HP calculator to run a 10.31 at that wt took 409.7 HP assuming perfect hook.

You guys want to send me your wts with driver and best ET and I will figure out your dragstrip HP.

Take poor old Matchbox....2060 with me and a normal et of 17.0 with a bone stock 2.5 410 roller cam shows 83.8 hp.

Anything you do to the car in the tranny to make it quicker shows as more hp even if nothing was done to the motor.

sdac guy
07-04-2009, 08:08 AM
ya barry is right, slowe is retardedly amazing on the pro tree, but it was an awesome race regardless!!! the 11.2 to the 11.7 had some people wondering why the lil omni didnt win, but its 1st person to cross the line wins

what was the et difference...it looked REAL close from the stands

It wasn't 11.2 vs 11.7. It was a lot closer than that. It was Slowe's 11.292 vs Bender's 11.226. Slowe's RT was a very good .091, while Bender's was .236. This made for a race difference of .079 seconds at the finish line.

Bruce wasn't sleeping at the line as .236 is pretty good for any of us on a pro tree. But Brian's .091, that's amazing. :D

Barry

BadAssPerformance
07-04-2009, 09:21 AM

It all depends on your goals. I am comparing a very efficient 8v setup to an even more efficient 16v setup that hasnt been tuned yet. ... I'm sure I'll be able to squeak a bit more out of the 2.4L

Reeves
07-04-2009, 09:21 AM
But seriously, what do the 10 sec. L bodies REALLY weigh? I'm trying to figure out how much weight I'll have to take off my car to have a chance at nines.

A few years ago my car weighed 2500 with me in it. I weighed 185 back then. I now weigh 215, but I have also taken about 25 lbs out of the rear axle/brake setup. So, I'm not 100% sure.

It wasn't 11.2 vs 11.7. It was a lot closer than that. It was Slowe's 11.292 vs Bender's 11.226. Slowe's RT was a very good .091, while Bender's was .236. This made for a race difference of .079 seconds at the finish line.

Bruce wasn't sleeping at the line as .236 is pretty good for any of us on a pro tree. But Brian's .091, that's amazing. :D

Barry

Good job Barry on race results!!!

Juggy
07-04-2009, 10:04 AM

Barry

thanks for the correction, didnt realize it was that close!

"Top Fuel" Bender
07-04-2009, 10:41 AM
Ok Bruce, I guess I probably overstated my opinion, and I apologize if it sounded like I was singling you out. I was genuinely happy to see you in the final when I first saw the videos.

thanks
yeah it had me thinking most of the night
It's hard enough trying to impress the V8 crowd and others
but it's weird when even your own don't approve of what you've got
on the omni I started and built most of it when I was 17
it was never a show car or much of a looker
just built for fun and shock factor of running strong
I do feel it has a lot of innovative ideas, maybe not executed as best as they could but all very functional

My next project will hopefully look, run, and handle very well

Shadow
07-04-2009, 11:16 AM
We needed you there Warren!
We needed you there too Shadow!

Thanks man, I wish I could have made it. Looks like 2010 is going to be the year of "who runs NO2 and who doesn't" rather than 16v vs 8v!:eyebrows:

Shadow
07-04-2009, 11:18 AM
I believe on one pass I also had a 1.71 60ft.

So, any first impressions on the 3.05's?

Shadow
07-04-2009, 11:34 AM

Last time I weighed the Charger it was 2380 without me in it. So add 160 and that's 2540, but that was also at a truck weigh station on my street tires with spare in back. Obviously my slicks and rims for the track are lighter but I've only ever guessed it's weight with the lighter tire/rim combo. I guess I should weight it some time.

Shadow
07-04-2009, 11:39 AM
thanks
yeah it had me thinking most of the night
It's hard enough trying to impress the V8 crowd and others
but it's weird when even your own don't approve of what you've got
on the omni I started and built most of it when I was 17
it was never a show car or much of a looker
just built for fun and shock factor of running strong
I do feel it has a lot of innovative ideas, maybe not executed as best as they could but all very functional

My next project will hopefully look, run, and handle very well

Glad you had fun, and also glad (quite surprized really) that everyone seems to be taking what I said sitting down. Cause that was only My goals I was talking about and what I choose to challenge Myself with! If you had fun and are happy with what you've done with what you have......it's the same difference! Cause that's Your goals, and your the only one who can say what sits well with you or not.....see how that works! :nod:

cordes
07-04-2009, 12:47 PM

I heard that he likes it so far. I'm really excited about this, and really want to get a 3.05FD for my car for mpgs if nothing else.

Reeves
07-04-2009, 01:20 PM

I heard that he likes it so far. I'm really excited about this, and really want to get a 3.05FD for my car for mpgs if nothing else.

Ever just have one of those days...in my case, it was over a week of days.

The day before SDAC, BADANDY and I were up till 7am replacing my header gasket, then adding prop valves to the rear brakes the next day.
SDAC started off with rear brakes locking up, squeeling, cracking a fitting, etc. With the help of Mike and Joe Marra, Joey McKay, and my gf Katie, we had a late night fixing it.
Next day street tuning before the races, Warren (who?) and I couldn't quit hitting 44+ psi....maxing out the 4 bar map sensor. Even with 96pph injectors...there was not enough fuel up there. This turbo has NEVER made more than 36 psi before. I usually have a hard time getting any more than 30 out of it. So I was like WTF :confused2: Removed ball from Grainger.
Got to the track, can't find my mag lugnuts. That means I can't run my race wheels/tires. :mad: Geeze.
So using Warren's 24.5" MH's on 15x8" Mopar Rallye wheels (=cool looking, but heavy), and just my street wheels/tires on the back I cut good 60's.
I could launch with 30psi, but then my wastegate would fling open and not shut. It was opening at 30 and closing at 10 in the pits when cool. :mad: When hot it wouldn't shut.

But yeah, so far, I think the 3.05 is going to work out, at least for launch. But, I didn't get much over 90 mph at the track, so I can in no way say it's going to work at the big end.

It's very cool on the street. I was going to ditch 5th gear all together to save weight, and to also make a billet end plate to strentgthen up the trans...but Warren (who?) talked me into just putting it all back together stock for now, and I am glad I did. 5th gear is awesome on the interstate!

Shadow
07-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Ever just have one of those days...in my case, it was over a week of days.

The day before SDAC, BADANDY and I were up till 7am replacing my header gasket, then adding prop valves to the rear brakes the next day.
SDAC started off with rear brakes locking up, squeeling, cracking a fitting, etc. With the help of Mike and Joe Marra, Joey McKay, and my gf Katie, we had a late night fixing it.
Next day street tuning before the races, Warren (who?) and I couldn't quit hitting 44+ psi....maxing out the 4 bar map sensor. Even with 96pph injectors...there was not enough fuel up there. This turbo has NEVER made more than 36 psi before. I usually have a hard time getting any more than 30 out of it. So I was like WTF :confused2: Removed ball from Grainger.
Got to the track, can't find my mag lugnuts. That means I can't run my race wheels/tires. :mad: Geeze.
So using Warren's 24.5" MH's on 15x8" Mopar Rallye wheels (=cool looking, but heavy), and just my street wheels/tires on the back I cut good 60's.
I could launch with 30psi, but then my wastegate would fling open and not shut. It was opening at 30 and closing at 10 in the pits when cool. :mad: When hot it wouldn't shut.

But yeah, so far, I think the 3.05 is going to work out, at least for launch. But, I didn't get much over 90 mph at the track, so I can in no way say it's going to work at the big end.

It's very cool on the street. I was going to ditch 5th gear all together to save weight, and to also make a billet end plate to strentgthen up the trans...but Warren (who?) talked me into just putting it all back together stock for now, and I am glad I did. 5th gear is awesome on the interstate!

Sucks that things didn't work out, but sounds promissing. Nice to know that everything held up to 44psi! :thumb:

ATaylorRacing
07-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Last time I weighed the Charger it was 2380 without me in it. So add 160 and that's 2540, but that was also at a truck weigh station on my street tires with spare in back. Obviously my slicks and rims for the track are lighter but I've only ever guessed it's weight with the lighter tire/rim combo. I guess I should weight it some time.

Using a total wt of 2450 lbs and a pass of 10.99 from your signature you had 369 drag strip hp.:clap:

ATaylorRacing
07-04-2009, 05:40 PM
A few years ago my car weighed 2500 with me in it. I weighed 185 back then. I now weigh 215, but I have also taken about 25 lbs out of the rear axle/brake setup. So, I'm not 100% sure.

Using your wts from above...total of 2505 lbs and your sig shows a 10.66 et......that works out to.....drum roll....413.6 hp!:nod::thumb::hail:

Shadow
07-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Using a total wt of 2450 lbs and a pass of 10.99 from your signature you had 369 drag strip hp.:clap:

Nice, so according to your calculator I'm only getting 369hp worth to the ground and Reeves is getting 413.6 worth out of his. Makes sense as his E.T. is significantly better than mine. Now, can you do the same thing with MPH which (if you can do it right) would show more accuratly how much hp the car is making, rather than how much it is efficiently making use of!:eyebrows:

Shadow
07-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Well, all this talk about weight has got me thinking, so I looked up some stuff I was keeping track of early in the chargers build. The first year I had it out I weighed it and was going to try and keep track of what was going on and off of it. (as far as weight goes) At the end of the first year I was stuck in the high 11's with a pig rich tune that I didn't have time to do anything about. Seems that after that I was so headstrong about getting the tune down that I didn't pay attention to any weight that was going in or out of the car. All this time I'm trying to figure out how Reeves and some others with 4dr Omni's are heavier than me (and I haven't even begun to do the lightning mods they have) mean while I'm the one who's got it backwards! lol So, here's what I was able to figure. I wrote down my weight on the truck scale and I was close. The 2380lb is with no spare tire or anything in the back well. My first weight (before I took that stuff out) was 2418 (this was with no carpet underlay + what ever little things I had taken out to keep it light, but still full uncut SC). This was Before I installed the cage! I believe shipping weight of the cage was around 95lbs. Now, there were some cut-offs and there was also some weld-weight so let's say 85lbs. Then I added a 3 gallon fuel cell which now has 2 fuel pumps + lines + all valves and conectors to switch from my rear tank to fuel cell without having to undo anything. Prob 20lbs there. I've slowly been welding and reinforcing the entire front end so I prob added 10lbs there. My holset was about 10lbs heavier than my 57 trim and my 4" stainless downpipe is at least 10lb heavier than my old aluminized 3". I'm going to assume that my big FMIC (because there's less pipe, and it's alum pipe now) is no weight change from my twin stockers. I've added a bunch of little stuff, EBC, CCV ect say 10lbs miscellaneous. So what's that? 2525lb with no spare. So my street weight is actualy around 2565 + 160lb for my massive girth = 2725lbs! Now for race weight. 2525 (no spare) + 160(me)= 2685lbs - 68lbs (lighter tire/rim combo) - 30lbs (lighter race seats) = 2587lbs! So here I'm wondering how everyone is heavier than me, and meanwhile I'm the one who started the rumour! This seems to make alot of sense sinse the average 4 dr Omni is 150-200lbs lighter than an SC from the start and if I take Reeves car as an eg. now he's 2505 - 215 = 2290 and the Charger is 2587 - 160 =2427. Which is still only 137lb difference. Will be interesting to see how close this all is when I hit up a scale! :eyebrows:

contraption22
07-06-2009, 01:32 AM
I have to chime in here.

I don't know how much my car weighs. I can only imagine it weighs about what any stock L-body weighs. I know the back seat and carpet don't weigh as much as the 90+lb steel cage. And I myself am no lightweight.
I run a stock fuel tank. Have to run at least a half tank in her too because she starves the pickup on the launch otherwise. I'll get around to addressing that.
All my windows are OE glass, and they roll up and down... with some assistance because the regulators are worn.
The heater, and rear defogger work perfectly.
I've got full street legal equipment, save for wipers because they broke at SDAC climbing up the windsheild at 120mph.
I drove the car to and from the car show and hospitality dinner the day before the drag races in summer heat even in traffic and she didn't get hot.

It ain't as hardcore as Larry Buford, but it is a street car and she did make the Quick8. That was my goal.

Say what you want about Bruce's car being light, but he didn't break any rules that I read.

Run what you brung, and hope ya brung enough.

BadAssPerformance
07-06-2009, 08:39 AM
...I've got full street legal equipment, save for wipers because they broke at SDAC climbing up the windsheild at 120mph. ....

Sorry they broke, but the wipers breaking at 120mph is hilarious! LOL!

EXACTLY! Q8 is that, run what you brung :thumb: We had a great mix this year from Slowe's awesome race car to Buford's sweet RWD (was going to tow the van home with it!?) Sundance. This is what its about, doing something different, having fun, and going fast :thumb:

Reeves
07-06-2009, 10:37 AM
I don't think anyone was making fun of anyone that was in the quick 8? Or am I missing something? I hope you guys ain't mad at me for something? I'm so confused! Did I say something? Seems some of the comments are aimed towards my car?

I TOTALLY get the wipers breaking. I take my wiper arms off at the race track for that exact same reason. Mine haven't broke, but when I get to 120+ they climb up the windshield so bad that they turn theirselves on! I don't get it....weren't Omni's designed to do over 120mph? :rolleyes:

My fuel tank is a custom 8+ gallons and is aluminum. It's 3/16" aluminum and is no lighter than a stock fuel tank. The only reason I went this route was to gain room for the A-1000 pump and filter and to also have a bigger inlet/outlet on the tank itself. Still fills up just like a stocker and even the fuel gauge works.

Still have carpet and all the seats. Would still have the stock seats if it weren't for cage room and harness convienence.

I also drove to/from the car show but did not drive to/from the hospitality night. The roads on "that side of town" are too rough for me, plus I was hauling 5 people with. I understand your statement on the heat, as my van's AC is not working at the moment. If I didn't have the van this year, I would have taken the OMNI, as I love driving it to all the SDAC events. It runs cool as a cucumber even in the heat.

My rear windows are lexan, but back seat is in tact. Seems mine and Mike's cars are backwards on the window/seat thing. My fronts are all stock and go up and down just fine.

The only thing I can think of that's not street legal on my car is not having a horn. My horn button broke years ago leaving me with a roadrunner horn going beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep, so I took it off until I got the horn button fixed. Still haven't gotten around to that.

contraption22
07-06-2009, 11:24 AM
I don't think anyone was making fun of anyone that was in the quick 8? Or am I missing something? I hope you guys ain't mad at me for something? I'm so confused! Did I say something? Seems some of the comments are aimed towards my car?

I TOTALLY get the wipers breaking. I take my wiper arms off at the race track for that exact same reason. Mine haven't broke, but when I get to 120+ they climb up the windshield so bad that they turn theirselves on! I don't get it....weren't Omni's designed to do over 120mph? :rolleyes:

My fuel tank is a custom 8+ gallons and is aluminum. It's 3/16" aluminum and is no lighter than a stock fuel tank. The only reason I went this route was to gain room for the A-1000 pump and filter and to also have a bigger inlet/outlet on the tank itself. Still fills up just like a stocker and even the fuel gauge works.

Still have carpet and all the seats. Would still have the stock seats if it weren't for cage room and harness convienence.

I also drove to/from the car show but did not drive to/from the hospitality night. The roads on "that side of town" are too rough for me, plus I was hauling 5 people with. I understand your statement on the heat, as my van's AC is not working at the moment. If I didn't have the van this year, I would have taken the OMNI, as I love driving it to all the SDAC events. It runs cool as a cucumber even in the heat.

My rear windows are lexan, but back seat is in tact. Seems mine and Mike's cars are backwards on the window/seat thing. My fronts are all stock and go up and down just fine.

The only thing I can think of that's not street legal on my car is not having a horn. My horn button broke years ago leaving me with a roadrunner horn going beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep, so I took it off until I got the horn button fixed. Still haven't gotten around to that.

Reeves,
I was, and I know others were, very sad that you were having issues with your car. As I had said months ago when you were not sure if you would get the car back together in time, it wouldn't feel right if you weren't up there in the Q8. Your car is a marvel. As fast as it is, maintaining street drivability, now even more so with the 3.05's. Plus the car is beautiful to look at to boot. I think your car remains the L-body benchmark which many of use strive to compete with. At least that's the way I see it.

My comments, probably not clear enough, were to defend mine and other's use of N20. Is it cheating? Is it cheating to put a DOHC motor in a car not originally equipped? Is it cheating to run alky? Or race gas? or multiple throttle bodies? or slicks? or upgraded turbos? or lightweight materials? I say H-E-DOUBLE-HOCKEY-STICKS NO!!

Personally, I think the variety of setups and combo's in these cars is what makes this so much fun. Now more than ever there are so many different ways to build a moustrap. When my car returns to SDAC, it will be leaner, and meaner and employ may of the tricks I have learned from my fellow competitors.

My horn doesn't work either. The horn button itself failed. When I got home from work one day my neighbor had told me that my horn had been going off for several minutes with the car sitting locked in the driveway. When I got to it, the battery was dead, and as soon as I put a booster pack to it, the horn started blaring again. I unplugged the horn but it kept killing batteries until I finally thought to pull the horn relay. I have another steering wheel for it, but again, it's something I haven't gotten around to yet.

csxtra
07-06-2009, 12:41 PM
Reeves,
Is it cheating to put a DOHC motor in a car not originally equipped? Is it cheating to run alky? Or race gas? or multiple throttle bodies? or slicks? or upgraded turbos? or lightweight materials? I say H-E-DOUBLE-HOCKEY-STICKS NO!!

Don't forget running a 2.5 "cheater motor":D

Congrats Bruce and all who made it into the quick 8...I'm sure Reeves (who?) will have his swingvalve fixed by next year so he can play with you guys again.

Shadow
07-06-2009, 03:13 PM
Reeves,
I was, and I know others were, very sad that you were having issues with your car. As I had said months ago when you were not sure if you would get the car back together in time, it wouldn't feel right if you weren't up there in the Q8. Your car is a marvel. As fast as it is, maintaining street drivability, now even more so with the 3.05's. Plus the car is beautiful to look at to boot. I think your car remains the L-body benchmark which many of use strive to compete with. At least that's the way I see it.

My comments, probably not clear enough, were to defend mine and other's use of N20. Is it cheating? Is it cheating to put a DOHC motor in a car not originally equipped? Is it cheating to run alky? Or race gas? or multiple throttle bodies? or slicks? or upgraded turbos? or lightweight materials? I say H-E-DOUBLE-HOCKEY-STICKS NO!!

Personally, I think the variety of setups and combo's in these cars is what makes this so much fun. Now more than ever there are so many different ways to build a moustrap. When my car returns to SDAC, it will be leaner, and meaner and employ may of the tricks I have learned from my fellow competitors.

My horn doesn't work either. The horn button itself failed. When I got home from work one day my neighbor had told me that my horn had been going off for several minutes with the car sitting locked in the driveway. When I got to it, the battery was dead, and as soon as I put a booster pack to it, the horn started blaring again. I unplugged the horn but it kept killing batteries until I finally thought to pull the horn relay. I have another steering wheel for it, but again, it's something I haven't gotten around to yet.

I think it has to do with apples to apples comparos. ppl find it harder and harder to make direct comparisons when one car is 200lbs lighter than another or one car is running N2O and the other one isn't. I think that whatever falls within your boundaries of reaching your goals without feeling you compromised yourself is all good and fair. Like I said before....it's going to come down to the individual and the choises he/she is going to have to make and be happy with! :thumb:

jonnyb
07-08-2009, 08:53 AM

Barry

Then what was my .053 RT against Brian in the first round of the Q8...super amazing :lol:

But yeah, Brian definitely shows consistency at the tree...even with my .053 RT I got a measly .046 head start on Brian because he cut a .099 light. I needed him to cut a .6 light...LOL!!!

Jon

jonnyb
07-08-2009, 09:31 AM
Reeves,

Exactly! My goal was a stock looking glhs that runs 11's for SDAC this year. Unfortunately, I don't have enough flow in my head to keep the turbo spooled up between the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts, so I went with a poor mans port job (nitrous) to get me into the 11's. The 60 shot of nitrous basically turned my glhs from a 12.0@116 mph car to an 11.8@118 mph car. Not a huge difference, but it was just enough to get me the 8th spot in the quick 8.

Eventually I'll fork out the cash for a really nice ported head and won't need the nitrous to help spool the turbo, but for now I'm really happy about the way the setup runs and will continue to use the nitrous.

But it killed me when I got back from the drags flying a mile high at how well my car performed, only to be completely deflated by a few people telling me I cheated because I used nitrous. Come on - if I had a 13 second car and was shooting a 200 shot of nitrous to run 11's, then I could maybe see these kinds of comments being made, but a small 60 shot that took less than 2 tenths off my time?

Oh well, I guess if I don't get the ported head, I'll just throw on that 200 shot for next year so I can at least deserve the comments I'll get...LOL!!

Jon

"Top Fuel" Bender
07-08-2009, 10:03 AM
I have to chime in here.

I don't know how much my car weighs. I can only imagine it weighs about what any stock L-body weighs. I know the back seat and carpet don't weigh as much as the 90+lb steel cage. And I myself am no lightweight.
I run a stock fuel tank. Have to run at least a half tank in her too because she starves the pickup on the launch otherwise. I'll get around to addressing that.
All my windows are OE glass, and they roll up and down... with some assistance because the regulators are worn.
The heater, and rear defogger work perfectly.
I've got full street legal equipment, save for wipers because they broke at SDAC climbing up the windsheild at 120mph.
I drove the car to and from the car show and hospitality dinner the day before the drag races in summer heat even in traffic and she didn't get hot.

It ain't as hardcore as Larry Buford, but it is a street car and she did make the Quick8. That was my goal.

Say what you want about Bruce's car being light, but he didn't break any rules that I read.

thanks
nicely worded Mike
I didn't have the balls to run nitrous till recently
You, Pat and others have inspired me to put it on my car
It's easy to say it's easy to throw nitrous on a car and run quick but untill you actually hit that button for the 1st time it's pretty un-nerving
it's not like I have a $75 junyard engine either
I've got chromoly rods, custom forged pistons, arp hardware, forged crank, menagon head and cam, ect....
I'm more upset at the guys that get away with junkyard engine and tons of boost or nitrous then a guy that's put some time and thought into there engine
and by upset I mean jealous because I know I'd never be able to get away with it :o

Shadow
07-08-2009, 10:16 AM
Exactly! My goal was a stock looking glhs that runs 11's for SDAC this year. Unfortunately, I don't have enough flow in my head to keep the turbo spooled up between the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts, so I went with a poor mans port job (nitrous) to get me into the 11's. The 60 shot of nitrous basically turned my glhs from a 12.0@116 mph car to an 11.8@118 mph car. Not a huge difference, but it was just enough to get me the 8th spot in the quick 8.

Eventually I'll fork out the cash for a really nice ported head and won't need the nitrous to help spool the turbo, but for now I'm really happy about the way the setup runs and will continue to use the nitrous.

But it killed me when I got back from the drags flying a mile high at how well my car performed, only to be completely deflated by a few people telling me I cheated because I used nitrous. Come on - if I had a 13 second car and was shooting a 200 shot of nitrous to run 11's, then I could maybe see these kinds of comments being made, but a small 60 shot that took less than 2 tenths off my time?

Oh well, I guess if I don't get the ported head, I'll just throw on that 200 shot for next year so I can at least deserve the comments I'll get...LOL!!

Jon
No matter how you slice it, N2O is another power adder. It puts you into a different performance brkt. Ppl are always going to have differing opinions on this kind of stuff. You shouldn't feel deflated just because other ppl have differing goals from your own. I'm a hard-headed never say die reach the beach kind of guy and I always will be. If I would have resorted to N2O to run the Charger into the 10's I can't even say it would have been bitter-sweet.....only bitter. Would have been a total failure on my part as a car/engine builder to have to give up on the pursute of my goal, just to make it easier. Like I've said before, for me, it's all about the challenge!

contraption22
07-08-2009, 10:46 AM

Jon

It was so cool to see your car up there John! Very nice car!

I will say, you should have gotten alot more than .2 out of a 60 shot. You should have at least gotten .5-.6 seconds shaved off with that amount of juice.

jonnyb
07-08-2009, 12:18 PM
Thanks Mike, and thanks for congratulating me after the racing as well - it meant a lot to me.

Unfortunately, I didn't have any smaller fuel jets and the nitrous was making the car run rich (10.6 on the wideband) so I doubt it was really getting a 60 hp boost. I did have a bigger nitrous jet and was going to add it to try and lean it out, but everyone talked me out of it and I'm glad they did. My car ran well and didn't break and the only attention it needed when I got home from the event was a good cleaning. If I had upped the nitrous jet and leaned out and blown something, I would have come home with an entirely different attitude.

The best news of all is that a writer for Hemmings magazine called me during my drive home to find out how the car did (they saw the car at an event at Lebanon Valley Raceway a few weeks before SDAC and were really interested in doing a story on it if I got an 11 second time slip). When I told them that I ran 11.8's and qualified for the quick 8, they scheduled an interview with me and did a really nice write up for Hemmings Muscle Machines. I gave props to SDAC in the article too...so keep an eye out for it in next months (Sept. 09) issue :thumb:

Jon

"Top Fuel" Bender
07-08-2009, 01:55 PM
The best news of all is that a writer for Hemmings magazine called me during my drive home to find out how the car did (they saw the car at an event at Lebanon Valley Raceway a few weeks before SDAC and were really interested in doing a story on it if I got an 11 second time slip). When I told them that I ran 11.8's and qualified for the quick 8, they scheduled an interview with me and did a really nice write up for Hemmings Muscle Machines. I gave props to SDAC in the article too...so keep an eye out for it in next months (Sept. 09) issue :thumb:

Jon

SWEET :hail:

Shadow
07-08-2009, 02:55 PM

Jon

Very cool! :clap:

Warren Stramer
07-08-2009, 03:40 PM
I've alway wanted to be an attorney, many of my friends are attorneys, there is a certain prestige that goes with the career, But man is it hard to pass the bar exam,My friends went to many years of school, spent alot of money,studied hard and passed the bar.
But, I for some reason just cannot quite pass, I sure dont have the time or patience to go thru all that schooling, and man that would be expensive. I dont get it, I read every law book I can find, and study alot of case law, and watch all the lawyer shows on tv and I still cant pass the bar.
But now I see where I can buy a law degree on line for $400 bucks,Do you think my friends would be pissed if I took a shortcut and got the cheap law degree? Then I could feel the same prestige. Some of my friends probably wouldnt care but then there are a few a$$holes in our circle that would feel cheated. Oh well screw um! the stupid chumps. I want to be in the ten second club too, and qualify for the Q8..............................................Oh sorry, this is the wrong thread............................................ ......

Now , before you jump all over me know that I write this with tonge in cheek, obviously it is a smart a$$ illistration to show my opinion about using N20 to qualify at SDAC, or reach a certain performance level. Not a personal attack at anyone, and those here that know me know I would say the same thing if we were bench racin and drinking beer and we would trash each other and laugh about it. after all its just a hobby, not very important in the grand scheme of things.
So although the use of N20 is not technicaly cheating, could we at least agree that it is a performance shortcut?
You guys have all built GREAT cars, I like them all, I just don't see why you have to resort to opening the nitrous can of worms.
Bruce Bender has awesome car with all the good parts and some good engineering in a nice light pakage. the car is KILLER fast without spray, There is something fundamentaly out of tune somewhere on it and if he found and adressed that minor issue he would kick all our a$$es without nitrous.
I guess i'm probably wrong like usual, but I always thought there was an unspoken, unwritten rule in the TD communtiy that performance milestones were achieved with four cyls. and a turbo, period.............Stephane, Donovan,Demoss,Stillie,Reeves,Slowe,Mclellan, Bender and dozens of others.........Just sayin...........(smiles) please don't not love me any more hehe, just my opinion, and I'm stickin to it. ps. nitrous is for girls

BadAssPerformance
07-08-2009, 03:41 PM
No matter how you slice it, N2O is another power adder. It puts you into a different performance brkt. Ppl are always going to have differing opinions on this kind of stuff. You shouldn't feel deflated just because other ppl have differing goals from your own. I'm a hard-headed never say die reach the beach kind of guy and I always will be. If I would have resorted to N2O to run the Charger into the 10's I can't even say it would have been bitter-sweet.....only bitter. Would have been a total failure on my part as a car/engine builder to have to give up on the pursute of my goal, just to make it easier. Like I've said before, for me, it's all about the challenge!

I share your desire to do it w/o the juice but have played with it too.

The Q8 is run-whatcha-brung and with as many combinations as we had from street car to race car, the field was only 1 second apart... congrats to all, and to those who almost made it in, I never expected to this year with so many other fast cars out there! :clap:

BadAssPerformance
07-08-2009, 03:48 PM
.... So although the use of N20 is not technicaly cheating, could we at least agree that it is a performance shortcut?...

Hell yeah, I think we can all agree with you Warren :thumb: Heck, so are larger turbos and intercoolers and 8 extra valves and race gas... they all help! But wait... this isnt a NASCAR type event ;)

That is also why SDAC added the "heads up" race a few years ago so those that didnt make the Q8 can have some heads up fun too. :thumb:

So let me get this discussion going in a new direction... its nice to race eachother at our own event but its more fun to show off to thw whole MOPAR world, eh??? So WHO is in for the MOPAR NATS this year? before I bend over backwaqrds trying to BEG them to have a FWD class this year for us, who is in?

Reeves
07-08-2009, 04:05 PM
hell yeah, i think we can all agree with you warren :thumb: Heck, so are larger turbos and intercoolers and 8 extra valves and race gas... They all help! But wait... This isnt a nascar type event ;)

that is also why sdac added the "heads up" race a few years ago so those that didnt make the q8 can have some heads up fun too. :thumb:

So let me get this discussion going in a new direction... Its nice to race eachother at our own event but its more fun to show off to thw whole mopar world, eh??? So who is in for the mopar nats this year? Before i bend over backwaqrds trying to beg them to have a fwd class this year for us, who is in?

I'm In!

Warren Stramer
07-08-2009, 04:17 PM
I share your desire to do it w/o the juice but have played with it too.

The Q8 is run-whatcha-brung and with as many combinations as we had from street car to race car, the field was only 1 second apart... congrats to all, and to those who almost made it in, I never expected to this year with so many other fast cars out there! :clap:

Ya, run what you brung, and hope you brought enough.........NITROUS

contraption22
07-08-2009, 04:23 PM
Ya, run what you brung, and hope you brought enough.........NITROUS

Heck yeah! Man, I wish I woulda jetted up before running Bender!

jonnyb
07-08-2009, 06:47 PM
I like you attitude Warren, but almost every dream car you listed in your list was severely lightened. I remember Gary hole sawing everything possible in Relentless and I doubt that thing weighed more than 1800 lbs with him in it. I also remember Stephane (all 120 lbs of him) picking up the back end of his charger at SDAC 13 like it was a tonka toy.

For the most part, each 100 pounds you remove is good for a tenth in the quarter (up to a point obviously), so why wouldn't you consider Gary shaving 700 pounds or so off Relentless cheating? I mean, if he ran at the same power, and never lightened the car (or better yet - put the same motor in his daytona) we most likely would have never seen him run a 10 second pass. 11.5's would be about the best he would have gotten at that power level.

OK - enough blabbing about this stuff - it's time for me get one of those online law degrees so I can make some money and buy that ported head I need so that I can run 11.5's off the juice. I hope your attorney friends don't get too pissed at me...:D

Jon

sdac guy
07-08-2009, 06:59 PM
.......... ps. nitrous is for girlsI burst out laughing when I read that. Thanks for the laugh Warren. :lol:

Barry

Shadow
07-08-2009, 08:19 PM
I like you attitude Warren, but almost every dream car you listed in your list was severely lightened. I remember Gary hole sawing everything possible in Relentless and I doubt that thing weighed more than 1800 lbs with him in it. I also remember Stephane (all 120 lbs of him) picking up the back end of his charger at SDAC 13 like it was a tonka toy.

For the most part, each 100 pounds you remove is good for a tenth in the quarter (up to a point obviously), so why wouldn't you consider Gary shaving 700 pounds or so off Relentless cheating? I mean, if he ran at the same power, and never lightened the car (or better yet - put the same motor in his daytona) we most likely would have never seen him run a 10 second pass. 11.5's would be about the best he would have gotten at that power level.

OK - enough blabbing about this stuff - it's time for me get one of those online law degrees so I can make some money and buy that ported head I need so that I can run 11.5's off the juice. I hope your attorney friends don't get too pissed at me...:D

Jon

Glad you said "Almost". ;)

jonnyb
07-08-2009, 11:34 PM
LOL...yup, looking back at the list of cars, "some of the cars" might have been an even better choice of words than "almost all".

Hats off to you Rob and anyone else who has been able to run 10's in a car with a full interior AND the added weight of a cage. And I see from your sig that you run a 5 speed - even more kudos to you for that!

SUPER60omni
07-08-2009, 11:58 PM
Food for thought........ All motor hondas have run in the 9's and probly faster. ALL MOTOR! So in theory the use of turbos is TOTALLY cheating!

Either way....... If you car goes 12's on boost and my car goes 11's on the bottle, that means that you just lost. Hahahaha. N2O is tha sh*t! If you dont like it then dont use it, but dont pull the "well if his bottle runs out im gonna win" crap, cuz mine is always good to go.

"Top Fuel" Bender
07-09-2009, 07:24 AM
Food for thought........ All motor hondas have run in the 9's and probly faster. ALL MOTOR! So in theory the use of turbos is TOTALLY cheating!

Either way....... If you car goes 12's on boost and my car goes 11's on the bottle, that means that you just lost. Hahahaha. N2O is tha sh*t! If you dont like it then dont use it, but dont pull the "well if his bottle runs out im gonna win" crap, cuz mine is always good to go.

still waiting to see a clean pass in your 500hp omni btw :eyebrows:

jonnyb
07-09-2009, 08:06 AM
Too funny Luke!

And yet another view on someone's goal - his goal is simply to win. He doesn't care how it's done, all that matters is to cross the line first!

Bruce - if the stupid New England weather holds out for Friday, we'll hopefully see a clean pass from Luke and he'll be either asked to slow down or be kicked off the track is my guess!

Yeah he uses juice, but I believe he has ran 11.9's off the spray and watching the car, you can tell that it could go even quicker than that (maybe you should have me jump in it and take it for a run down the track Luke:D). And, now here's the part that really impresses me about Luke and his car...he daily drives it! Yes, it is his daily driver AND he drives it to the track with slicks and a jack in back, runs 11's, swaps the street tires back on and drives it back home!!!

ATaylorRacing
07-09-2009, 08:21 AM
Back in the 90s I raced my GLHT in Super Pro at Indy and won 5 rounds...using $100 worth of nitrous to win $250. None of the guys I beat thought I was cheating (150 hp shot through 2 foggers). They didn't think I could run the 11.99 dial (11.89 quickest pass) because they always saw me dialing 14.0 (quickest dial allowed) in street class!

ATaylorRacing
07-09-2009, 08:22 AM
For the next SDAC I will invite Schumacher racing to compete in the 1quick 8. They use nitro meth, but no nitrous!

JUST kidding!

85glht
07-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Using nitrous is not cheating. It is a sick addiction to which I do not want to find a cure for. I LOVE the stuff!! :D

SUPER60omni
07-10-2009, 12:37 AM
Its funny how its almost always the stupid omnis with nitrous:)

Rampage16V
07-10-2009, 02:38 PM
I remember Gary swearing his relentless weighed 2100 lbs
I took it with a gain of salt...who am I to say any different.
As for Nitrious! Go for it sure helps on the really hot days that's for sure.
People have been looking for the bottle on my car for 15 years now lol!

People out of the turbo dodge loop never think these cars are as fast as they are that's what make it so much fun to race them!!!

Reeves
07-10-2009, 05:14 PM

People out of the turbo dodge loop never think these cars are as fast as they are that's what make it so much fun to race them!!!

+1 :clap:

Gaboon
07-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Nos is for losers. Pfffft....:banplease:

gasketmaster
07-11-2009, 02:20 PM
ps. nitrous is for girls

But I like Girls Warren :love: :p

I reached my goal of 11.99 or better on motor with my van....at THAT point the engine owed me nothing so I wanted to push the minivan record as far up as possible plus I was just plain curious as to what was achieveable by using N2O ;)

After being around many really fast sprayed V-8 cars I felt I might not even FEEL a 50 shot! LOL! Boy was I wrong :D

My new combo has no N2O as of now but if I can't reach the 10's after rubbing on it for awhile.......I'm sprayin' :p

30 PSI SHADOW
07-12-2009, 05:37 PM
Using nitrous is not cheating. It is a sick addiction to which I do not want to find a cure for. I LOVE the stuff!! :D

NOS isnt cheating, right Jon? (lol) its all good till the plates come off the car.

"STREET CARS RULE!"

ohiorob
07-12-2009, 08:44 PM
If you guys think that nitrous is cheating, wait to I bolt on a set of wheelie bars :p

Reeves
07-12-2009, 08:59 PM
If you guys think that nitrous is cheating, wait to I bolt on a set of wheelie bars :p

LOL! :thumb:

Shadow
07-12-2009, 09:06 PM

+1 :clap:

+2 :thumb:

ATaylorRacing
07-12-2009, 10:41 PM

Are you going to stick on a big long set of traction bars....do like the high$$$ import cars...launch and then the REAR tires come off the ground while they skate through the 1/4 on the wheelie bar rollers!! I would love see you guys run in the low 7s at over 200 with fwd....I would love to see Larrry Bufford run in the high 6s at over 230 like the old NOPI high$$$ cars used to. :love::hail:

ohiorob
07-13-2009, 07:23 AM
Are you going to stick on a big long set of traction bars....do like the high$$$ import cars...launch and then the REAR tires come off the ground while they skate through the 1/4 on the wheelie bar rollers!! I would love see you guys run in the low 7s at over 200 with fwd....I would love to see Larrry Bufford run in the high 6s at over 230 like the old NOPI high$$$ cars used to. :love::hail:

You got it....:thumb:

Rampage16V
07-13-2009, 08:25 AM
You got it....:thumb:

After seeing your car and watching the vids of it Rob you need something to help you off the start your car spins badly SO MUCH power ;):love::thumb:

contraption22
07-23-2009, 10:30 AM

Finally found my slips in with my tools. I did cut a 1.67 60 ft on one pass.

"Top Fuel" Bender
07-23-2009, 10:46 AM

I cuoldn't get my scanner to work, I brought a copy to Carlisle but you weren't there
did you find our pass :love:

contraption22
07-23-2009, 10:49 AM
I cuoldn't get my scanner to work, I brought a copy to Carlisle but you weren't there
did you find our pass :love:

Yup I found it! That was one helluva race.

ohiorob
07-26-2009, 08:28 AM
After seeing your car and watching the vids of it Rob you need something to help you off the start your car spins badly SO MUCH power ;):love::thumb:

thanks Dean....all that power is no good if you can't get it to the ground :(
I'll be looking for a good progressive boost controller. another thing that works ok is retarding the timing at takeoff and between shifts but my MSD 6+ keeps going out on me and i keep sending it back :mad:
you and me are knocking on the 9 second door. who will get there first ;)

good luck this season.

ohiorob
07-26-2009, 08:36 AM

I would kill for that 60' :hail::thumb: