PDA

View Full Version : Ist race of the season: 1st round blow a hose!

powermaxx
04-29-2006, 12:40 AM
Fresh engine with about 80 miles on it, had no probelms running around town in high boost. So it caught me off guard (shoudln't have) I knew I should have put a bead around that tube end :banghead: .

1st time run (of the season, no test-n tune oportunity so I'm jittery, etc...) I forgot to hit my 2nd stage boost switch :rolleyes: . Pretty slow but it did settle me down.

2nd time run got 12.97@108.72 (now that's more like it!). My new Hoosier DOT's hook like mad! I'm gonna have to do a test-n tune to find the right setup with these! BTW the OBX seems to have held up to my 5400rpm launches :dancingbana: .

1st round, I line up against an 18 sec car (I think I was the fastest in the DOT Compact class) . So I catch a good light and right after 1-2 shift "Pop"! Man was that a slow ride to the finish line :lol: .

Well it's late and I'm beading my pipes tommorrow. Sunday is a "Street Showdown" event.

Hoosier DOT 225-50-15 (9inches of tread! oOn 15x8 rims)

glhs875
04-29-2006, 05:23 AM
Fresh engine with about 80 miles on it, had no probelms running around town in high boost. So it caught me off guard (shoudln't have) I knew I should have put a bead around that tube end :banghead: .

1st time run (of the season, no test-n tune oportunity so I'm jittery, etc...) I forgot to hit my 2nd stage boost switch :rolleyes: . Pretty slow but it did settle me down.

2nd time run got 12.97@108.72 (now that's more like it!). My new Hoosier DOT's hook like mad! I'm gonna have to do a test-n tune to find the right setup with these! BTW the OBX seems to have held up to my 5400rpm launches :dancingbana: .

1st round, I line up against an 18 sec car (I think I was the fastest in the DOT Compact class) . So I catch a good light and right after 1-2 shift "Pop"! Man was that a slow ride to the finish line :lol: .

Well it's late and I'm beading my pipes tommorrow. Sunday is a "Street Showdown" event.

Hoosier DOT 225-50-15 (9inches of tread! oOn 15x8 rims)

Sounds like your gonna be running good once you get some more bugs worked out!! You had a good pass anyway!

powermaxx
04-29-2006, 07:34 AM
Looks promising, need to try launching on full boost with these new tires. The BFG drag radials (205-50-15) would just go up in smoke last year :nod: .

And last years first round/first race of the season I broke an RP axle!

glhs875
04-29-2006, 07:51 AM
Looks promising, need to try launching on full boost with these new tires. The BFG drag radials (205-50-15) would just go up in smoke last year :nod: .

And last years first round/first race of the season I broke an RP axle!

So the Hoosiers are hooking alot better? What kind of 8" wide wheels do you have?

powermaxx
04-29-2006, 12:53 PM
So the Hoosiers are hooking alot better? What kind of 8" wide wheels do you have?

Kosei K1 racing from the TireRack. They have three different offsets to work from. Got the right offset but they rub the plastic GFX (Shelby Charger side pieces just in front of the tires) in a full turn. I'll have to fix that but at the track I only have to make two turns and they're wide so it's okay for the short term ;) .

glhs875
04-29-2006, 02:48 PM
Yea, my 225/50's rub a little on the same place on my Charger GLHS. I've got them mounted on ICW Racing Wheels. Are you in Denver Co.? I was stationed at Fort Carson for over 2 years. I love the area, if that's where you live.

powermaxx
04-29-2006, 09:56 PM
Yea, my 225/50's rub a little on the same place on my Charger GLHS. I've got them mounted on ICW Racing Wheels. Are you in Denver Co.? I was stationed at Fort Carson for over 2 years. I love the area, if that's where you live.

Yep, just north of the metro area.

SpoolinGLH
04-29-2006, 11:59 PM
Yeh blowing a IC hose sucks!!....scares the hell out of you when it happens..... kind of funny how you can go from 320 hp to 90 hp in a matter of one second LOL

Shelby5150
04-30-2006, 03:31 AM
kind of funny how you can go from 320 hp to 90 hp in a matter of one second LOL
:lol: :amen:

powermaxx
04-30-2006, 06:28 AM
Yeah :lol:

It's even funnier is that I had just picked up a couple of the "T-Bolt" HD clamps but decided "I didn't need them as things were tight on my street runs" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Clamps in place. headin' to the track in a couple of hours.:thumb:

SpoolinGLH
05-01-2006, 04:33 AM
keep us posted... whats the specs on the car as well.. would love to hear them... lata

turbovanmanČ
05-01-2006, 11:33 AM
Nice runs. I hate it when IC hoses blow off, :(

Whats your setup?

powermaxx
05-01-2006, 01:32 PM
keep us posted... whats the specs on the car as well.. would love to hear them... lata

Okay, here goes....

89 CB, Wiescos, ported g-head big valves w/ FM505 springs, ported 2pc intake and ported exhaust, 3" mandrel bend exhaust with a 3" in/2 1/4 duals out (kinda looks stock :thumb: for local "Legal" types), 3" SV from TU (kinda like a theme going on here?), 89 roller cam, TU Race spec clutch (seems to be holding), 52mm TB, FMIC, cone filter (in the engine bay for now) and running one of TU's custom cals (I really need to get a hands on tune from Paul when that becomes available [please, please get that Bobcat out of there Chris!]), TU T3/T4 turbo (can't remember specs) 27psi on 91 octane pump gas.

The trans is a 555/520 hybrid with the 3.50 FD. Running Hoosiers DOT "slicks is more like it) tires with 9" of tread.

I now know why my 60' times are off compared to others. I had a pic taken yesterday and I see I have way too much rise in the front and way too much squat in the back. I have new Konis on it and heard that adjusting the rears to the stiff setting and leave the fronts on soft?

See attachment for the squat, it's faded and worn but it's still a "Weekend Warrior" and it doesn't attract any attention when on the street. Restoration is in it's near future (original numbers matching eng/trans in my basement :) ).

Back to work (where's the Boss Key???)

GLHSKEN
05-01-2006, 02:20 PM
Koni's,

Soft rear
Stiff front

They control rebound. You want them soft on the back so they come up quickly, You want them stiff on the front so they act on the lift.

8valves
05-01-2006, 02:26 PM
Hoosier's DOT's are pretty much a slick! :)

Have you street driven them at all? I thought about them, but the BFG's seem like the only way to go for a daily driven sticky tire.

Awesome job- amazing to get away with that power level on junk 91 octane!

Aaron Miller

powermaxx
05-01-2006, 10:21 PM
Koni's,

Soft rear
Stiff front

They control rebound. You want them soft on the back so they come up quickly, You want them stiff on the front so they act on the lift.

Had them "bass acwards" (firm rear soft front). Been thinking of putting on front end "travel limiters" (cables) that are used in a lot of RWD bracket racer setups.

Also been looking for some hydraulic type rear shocks (or even air shocks) so I can "lock" them in position. (Numbered car means no cutting floor out for a "middle" rear shock!!!). Found an interesting comment/link of a system where the front and rear shocks are valved front to rear so as the front lifts the rear also lifts and keeps everything level (even over bumps not just acceleration).

powermaxx
05-01-2006, 10:35 PM
Hoosier's DOT's are pretty much a slick! :)

Have you street driven them at all? I thought about them, but the BFG's seem like the only way to go for a daily driven sticky tire.

Awesome job- amazing to get away with that power level on junk 91 octane!

Aaron Miller

Haven't seen any street time in them. They are slicks basically so probably only if I have a "certain situation" occur :evil: (Whatca got under that hood? Oh just an old worn out 2.2 :nod: ).

The BFG's I ran last year (all worn out from the track) will hold it on the street so that's what I'll run. Don't know how long they'll last.

BTW, I dynoed on the pump gas but I usually run 100 octane for safety reasons. I need to get back to the dyno and take advantage of that extra margin :eyebrows: G head open chamber helps a lot for the pump gas. I was actually trying to kill off some bottom end but now the Hoosiers have me re-thinking that....

BadAssPerformance
05-01-2006, 10:49 PM
.... Found an interesting comment/link of a system where the front and rear shocks are valved front to rear so as the front lifts the rear also lifts and keeps everything level (even over bumps not just acceleration).

Got a link to that???

SpoolinGLH
05-02-2006, 01:10 AM
Cool pic taking off! ...maybe i missed it but what was your 60' on the 12.9 run.... with 320hp you could expect to be low 12 high 11's in a lbody once you get all the bugs worked out correct? or does running in colorado make that big of difference?

GLHSKEN
05-02-2006, 05:58 AM
Steve,

My rear Koni's are being built dual adjustable. Hopefully they will be stiff enough to controll things with the mp springs..

powermaxx
05-02-2006, 07:52 AM
Cool pic taking off! ...maybe i missed it but what was your 60' on the 12.9 run.... with 320hp you could expect to be low 12 high 11's in a lbody once you get all the bugs worked out correct? or does running in colorado make that big of difference?

60' are way off in my opinion!:yuck:

2.01's and an occasional 1.97. That is with no burnout just a tire spin to clean them off. I'm an old bracket racer (Challenger for 18 years in various setups) and RWD burnouts with an auto is a piece of cake. Need to learn how to do that with a FWD 5spd :rolleyes: . (Embarrasing to admit that....:) ) I'm going to the local Rapid Lube (Tire place also) and setup a burnout box and learn how (they love the car)! So is that a start spinning them in 2nd gear or do you guys just shift 1-2 (no line lock so going to use the e-brake if it will hold) in the water?

Altitude vs 1/4 mile times for a turbo car seems to be a controversial subject. It does have an affect as Gary Gokey, if you know who he is, (NHRA record holder several times...) sees about .75 sec diff (I'll have to check that to be positive). With the short 205-50's I was doing 111mph with the taller 225-50's I'm down to 108mph. I think I should be about 12.5's or so with some decent 60's.

powermaxx
05-02-2006, 07:57 AM
Got a link to that???

Searching....... (I think it's on my home computer....)

I'll get back to you.

bn880
05-02-2006, 07:59 AM
Hey, if you pop an IC hose try to take it easy, don't race it. It only spools the turbo like crazy and you are at times sucking dirt, better just drift it in if possible. The run is useless anyway. :D

GLHSKEN
05-02-2006, 08:17 AM
setup a burnout box and learn how (they love the car)! So is that a start spinning them in 2nd gear or do you guys just shift 1-2 (no line lock so going to use the e-brake if it will hold) in the water?

Lock the e-brake, put her in 2nd, get the R's up and feather the clutch out. Chargers seem to hold with the e-brake better than the rest of the dodges. Daytona's always drag through and Amon's have a tough time as well.

HMMM... Could be why it is tough to get a good 60' with a charger (*5sp), the front end unloads itself easily.

powermaxx
05-02-2006, 09:49 AM
Hey, if you pop an IC hose try to take it easy, don't race it. It only spools the turbo like crazy and you are at times sucking dirt, better just drift it in if possible. The run is useless anyway. :D

Yep, got out of it quickly! Knew what it was and just feathered the throttle to get back to the pits.

mcsvt
05-02-2006, 10:38 AM
I have seen the hydro suspension setup in action before. An Australian team used one on thier FSAE car last year. I will try to find a link to the setup. It turned out to be a great idea, but didn't really give them much of an advantage over a well tuned spring/shock suspension.

Edit: here is actually the website for the suspension tech. Kinetic Technology (http://www.kinetic.au.com/)

And the FSAE team came in 2nd overall last year, so I guess they did benefit :)

8valves
05-03-2006, 04:33 PM
G head open chamber helps a lot for the pump gas. I was actually trying to kill off some bottom end but now the Hoosiers have me re-thinking that....

Oh for sure... you should see my chamber design now. I plan to try to keep my pump gas no injection record once again this year- hopefully by quite some margin :thumb:

Aaron Miller

Ground Rat
05-04-2006, 03:59 AM
Oh for sure... you should see my chamber design now. I plan to try to keep my pump gas no injection record once again this year- hopefully by quite some margin :thumb:

Aaron Miller

What's the record?