PDA

View Full Version : Stupid PLX wbo2

t3rse
06-25-2009, 08:13 PM
My stupid PLX m300 shuts off because it is overheating. Anyone ever had this sort of issue? I can't tune my car because of it, and it is too rich, and I don't want to blindly pull fuel out of it. Anyways, don't buy a m300.

cordes
06-25-2009, 08:31 PM
My stupid PLX m300 shuts off because it is overheating. Anyone ever had this sort of issue? I can't tune my car because of it, and it is too rich, and I don't want to blindly pull fuel out of it. Anyways, don't buy a m300.

Mine has never done that.

GLHNSLHT2
06-25-2009, 11:00 PM
Love my innovate LC-1 :)

jl93sundance
06-26-2009, 12:36 AM
Love my innovate LC-1 :)

me too!!:clap:

t3rse
06-26-2009, 01:00 PM
Mine has never done that.

First time it did it was at SDAC 17...didn't for a long time, then started acting up again. I contacted PLX and was basically told to either go eff myself or buy another unit (specifically he said a newer unit is better so I should drop 250 to get a new PLX to which I responded I already have a lma3 so if I must I will not be buying PLX).

B: where is yours mounted?

cordes
06-26-2009, 01:01 PM
First time it did it was at SDAC 17...didn't for a long time, then started acting up again. I contacted PLX and was basically told to either go eff myself or buy another unit (specifically he said a newer unit is better so I should drop 250 to get a new PLX to which I responded I already have a lma3 so if I must I will not be buying PLX).

B: where is yours mounted?

That is very dissapointing to hear. I'm thinking about tech edge for my next one.

risen
06-26-2009, 01:12 PM
The controller shuts off because it's overheating or does the sensor get overheated?

t3rse
06-26-2009, 01:23 PM
If the car just idles (at 1050 egt) it will shut off. Ambient temp is what determines how long it stays on (95 to 101 in this season). The logger is on the same circuit as the m300, and it doesn't shut down, so I figured it isn't a power feed issue. If I cut power to the device (which now requires shutting the car off; I used to be able to just unplug it from the cig lighter...which ironically enough is the only comfort device left in the car) it will run for a few (30 to a minute) seconds before shutting off.

I'm going Innovate simply because I already have the logger interface.

Aries_Turbo
06-26-2009, 02:18 PM
That is very dissapointing to hear. I'm thinking about tech edge for my next one.

i love my techedge wideband. if you go DIY, the cable is a bit of a ba$tard to construct but it works awesome! :)

Brian

cordes
06-26-2009, 03:26 PM
i love my techedge wideband. if you go DIY, the cable is a bit of a ba$tard to construct but it works awesome! :)

Brian

You and Frank are the reasons I will be getting one next. If the AU dollar takes a really big dip in the fall or winter I will go ahead and pick one up for the shadow.

t3rse
06-26-2009, 03:57 PM

Brian

You can just cut the cable off a PLX that has taken a dump....

Aries_Turbo
06-26-2009, 04:53 PM
PLX cable is the same annoying connector as the tech edge?

http://www.wbo2.com/2a0/parts/274-025.jpg

Brian

GLHNSLHT2
06-26-2009, 04:58 PM
hahaha Another bonus for Innovate, they're customer service is TOP NOTCH! They replaced my XD-16 gauge when it went TU for free. No arguments whatsoever. They did have me try a couple things to determine if it was the guage or the controller. Email replies were instantaneous. I just saw a gauge/LC-1/sensor kit on ebay brand new for $189. Can't beat that.

t3rse
06-26-2009, 05:19 PM
PLX cable is the same annoying connector as the tech edge?

http://www.wbo2.com/2a0/parts/274-025.jpg

Brian

ewwww...no....but the socket for sensor is intact

Aries_Turbo
06-27-2009, 11:00 AM
ewwww...no....but the socket for sensor is intact

ahhh gotcha.

brian

risen
06-27-2009, 10:44 PM
hahaha Another bonus for Innovate, they're customer service is TOP NOTCH! They replaced my XD-16 gauge when it went TU for free. No arguments whatsoever. They did have me try a couple things to determine if it was the guage or the controller. Email replies were instantaneous. I just saw a gauge/LC-1/sensor kit on ebay brand new for $189. Can't beat that.

Sometimes I read these threads and think 'tastes great' vs 'less filling'. LOL I haven't actually needed tech support for either of my lc1s and they've both been operating for 2 or 3 years now. Haven't even needed a recal. At least now I know to stay away from PLX.

t3rse
07-03-2009, 03:36 AM
I wired up the lc1 today, and I have 3 major complaints...well one isn't so major.

The first is the amount of wiring involved. It was much more annoying than I anticipated. There are two ground that are supposed to be wired to the same ground point, so why aren't they integrated in the controller housing...for starters.

My bigger complaints: the serial connection uses a stereo mini-jack. The output from the lc1 is a female 3/32" jack, and the input for the lma3, or any other Innovate logging device is a female 3/32" jack. WTF were you thinking? Why not have the output from the lc1 be a male jack? Apparently Radio Shack no longer sales male-male mini-jack adapters, so I'm going to have to wire one up and each solder end is 5$. Thanks fellas.

My biggest complaint: why is the o2 jack attached to the controller housing? The sensors have short cables, so I'm forced to have the controller in the engine bay....I really don't need, and can't imagine that anyone else would, to have such a long cable for power and and whatnot, so why not put a little cable on the other end so the controller housing can be in the cabin? Even if people do need to have 6 feet of power cable, you have to solder all that up anyways, so it wouldn't be a big deal to extend as needed, rather than have the controller within two feet of the exhaust.

quantum
07-03-2009, 09:36 AM
Funny I never had an issue with my PLX.

risen
07-03-2009, 10:51 AM
I wired up the lc1 today, and I have 3 major complaints...well one isn't so major.

The first is the amount of wiring involved. It was much more annoying than I anticipated. There are two ground that are supposed to be wired to the same ground point, so why aren't they integrated in the controller housing...for starters.

My bigger complaints: the serial connection uses a stereo mini-jack. The output from the lc1 is a female 3/32" jack, and the input for the lma3, or any other Innovate logging device is a female 3/32" jack. WTF were you thinking? Why not have the output from the lc1 be a male jack? Apparently Radio Shack no longer sales male-male mini-jack adapters, so I'm going to have to wire one up and each solder end is 5$. Thanks fellas.

My biggest complaint: why is the o2 jack attached to the controller housing? The sensors have short cables, so I'm forced to have the controller in the engine bay....I really don't need, and can't imagine that anyone else would, to have such a long cable for power and and whatnot, so why not put a little cable on the other end so the controller housing can be in the cabin? Even if people do need to have 6 feet of power cable, you have to solder all that up anyways, so it wouldn't be a big deal to extend as needed, rather than have the controller within two feet of the exhaust.

The grounds are supposed to go to the same ground, not the same point. Like both grounds to the body, but separated by a couple of inches, for example. They do it so they don't have feedback or an offset from the heater ground on the signal ground.

Mine came with a male-male connector, and I believe the XD-16 have a male connector on one end. Sad to hear that they've stopped shipping them with the kits.

Mine's mounted in the engine bay just above the compressor outlet on the firewall, I guess it didn't seem like that big a deal since everything is sealed.

GLHNSLHT2
07-03-2009, 11:21 AM
I solder those grounds to a single eyelet connector and just mount it to the battery. The datalogging kit I got had a male/male a long one, somewhere I picked up a short male/male. Seems to be a hit or miss in the kits with those. I mount my controllers on the bracket that holds the tranny mount by the battery. Works good there too. If you mount the controller inside the car you're gonna need a big hole to get that O2 connector through the fire wall. Unless you can figure out how to take it apart and run each wire through. I couldn't figure it out and I didn't want to break the connector.

t3rse
07-03-2009, 12:29 PM
I've got a big hole....I may have to drill another one closer to the DP. As for the grounds, if the heater adds noise, BFD...if you are going wot in 20 seconds of firing the car up you deserve to blow your motor.

t3rse
07-03-2009, 04:37 PM
Ok, now I'm ------- mad. The goddamn jack that innovate uses has a proprietary end, and the ones from radio shack won't fit, so now, once again, I am sitting on my --- waiting for innovate to get back to me so I can get a ------- plug, just so I can tune my ------- car. The ------- thing has been running for 3 ------- months and I am still waiting on other ----suckers to come through for me.

t3rse
07-03-2009, 06:41 PM
So the instructions online says it comes with the cable, but the quick start says it doesn't....Innovate has yet to respond. I found the cable on their site for 12$, but it's the waiting that pisses me off so much. It isn't my fault it wasn't in the box as advertised.

cordes
07-03-2009, 06:45 PM
That doesn't sound like much fun at all Berry. I hope you can get it together quickly. I know the frustration of waiting on parts.

t3rse
07-03-2009, 07:03 PM
I can always wire it up like I had the PLX wired, with an analog out to the logger, but then that defeats the purpose of having bought equipment that is supposed to easily interface with equipment I already have....

t3rse
07-03-2009, 07:25 PM
Now that I am substantially less peeved, I'm going to go ahead and wire up the analog out from the LC1 to the LMA3 tomorrow. It will be good enough to tune with. The only advantage of using the serial port is that I can tweak the LC1 through the LMA3 interface, so I just have to physically hook the laptop to the LC1 to make adjustments and then to the LMA3 to actually log.

risen
07-03-2009, 08:03 PM
They may only be concerned with the heater noise for calibration purposes, for all I know. I agree that it shouldn't make a difference once the heater is off, but I wired both mine according to the instructions and they've been just fine for 2/3 years.

The plug should just be a matter of connecting 2 sides of the jacks together. I'm pretty sure one of the pdf documents on the lc-1 describes how to wire one up. Those are supposed to be in the lc1 kit too. Someone in their shipping/packaging dept is sloppy.

Also, the jacks are standard, but you need to make sure that they will seat into the connector properly. If the bottom of the male jack is too wide it won't fit properly.

Ondonti
07-03-2009, 09:14 PM
This is why zeitronix kicks butt and takes records. :amen:

t3rse
07-04-2009, 02:54 AM
They may only be concerned with the heater noise for calibration purposes, for all I know. I agree that it shouldn't make a difference once the heater is off, but I wired both mine according to the instructions and they've been just fine for 2/3 years.

The plug should just be a matter of connecting 2 sides of the jacks together. I'm pretty sure one of the pdf documents on the lc-1 describes how to wire one up. Those are supposed to be in the lc1 kit too. Someone in their shipping/packaging dept is sloppy.

Also, the jacks are standard, but you need to make sure that they will seat into the connector properly. If the bottom of the male jack is too wide it won't fit properly.

The 3/32" jacks (mini audio jacks such as those on a TI89 calculator) are not standard. There is a step at the base to take the stress off the input and divide it to the housing. Trust me. I tried everything except milling off the excess plastic on the device. The jack housing are proprietary to Innovate. I'll be happy to provide pictures to prove you wrong if you wish.

risen
07-04-2009, 04:36 PM
The 3/32" jacks (mini audio jacks such as those on a TI89 calculator) are not standard. There is a step at the base to take the stress off the input and divide it to the housing. Trust me. I tried everything except milling off the excess plastic on the device. The jack housing are proprietary to Innovate. I'll be happy to provide pictures to prove you wrong if you wish.

I own 2 lc1, no need for pictures. As I mentioned, you just need to find a jack that is the proper width at the base to fit into the connector. The one for an iphone fits in there just fine as it's stereo connector is relieved in the same fashion, but it has an additional segment for the mic so it probably won't work. You can go read thru the documentation or look at innovate's forums if you'd like to prove me right. Try this for starters:

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-1418.html

t3rse
07-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Well every jack I could get my hands on did not have the proper width. Either way, I said ---- it and hard wired it up...working great. As for the iphone, just short the two lower pins. The base is the ground anyways.