PDA

View Full Version : New use for engine hoist

looneytuner
04-28-2006, 08:41 PM
Well I started sprucing up the TC and took the bad fender off. The bumper mount was bent down about 2 ". There is no way on this car to jack the mount up from underneath without pulling the fascia.
Engine hoist to the rescue. Hooked a chain around the mount and hung the car from the mount. The cheap engine hoists must be pretty good. I had it at the weakest setting. :nod:
The TC rocker panels are at least 1/8 " steel unlike the TD's. The front sub frame is also much heavier.

The S is Silent
04-28-2006, 08:52 PM
We use ours to keep the ants away from the cooler :thumb:

http://people.clemson.edu/~mkessin/Pictures/Lift%20Cooler.JPG

GLHS592
04-28-2006, 08:55 PM

I co-own the very same hoist. Did you get your's at Advance Auto? :thumb:

The S is Silent
04-28-2006, 09:00 PM
I co-own the very same hoist. Did you get your's at Advance Auto? :thumb:

Why yes, yes we did :thumb: I talked my dad into getting it for "us".

Turbodave
04-29-2006, 11:03 AM
My hoist is identical only it's red and doesn't have the rubber grip on the jack handle. Came from a tool vendor at a swap meet.

I don't have any pictures, but I've used it creatively a few times.

1. Putting a SC parts car on the trailer. Car was gutted and had no suspension and the core support was cut off. Put the hoist through the sunroof hole and lifted the whole car up so I could back the trailer under it, worked great.

2. Wrapped a chain around the pole of the basket ball hoop in the driveway, pulled it right out of the ground and made better parking for the trailer.

mark
04-29-2006, 02:10 PM
Why yes, yes we did :thumb: I talked my dad into getting it for "us".

Make that 3 from advance auto... :)

86Shelby
04-30-2006, 06:01 PM
I think lifting the cooler is overloading it a bit, don't you?

I'm borrowing one identicle to that in form. Silver and black though, also says Craftsman. Makes me wonder how many places the manufacturer sold those to.

CletusJones
05-01-2006, 01:13 PM
We use ours to keep the ants away from the cooler :thumb:

Wow that's pretty clean, is it brand new? Mine's so dinged up it looks like it's been through a war or something. It's about 10 years old and we don't really take care of it at all other than to make sure it's mechanically sound.

turbo xtc
05-01-2006, 04:52 PM
:thumb: gm jacks the ones that lay flat and you jack them like a bumper jack are real handy for fixing body panels,moving engines,or even lifting couches to find my beer when it rolls under it and i get them free at the local junk yard

The S is Silent
05-01-2006, 04:59 PM
Wow that's pretty clean, is it brand new? Mine's so dinged up it looks like it's been through a war or something. It's about 10 years old and we don't really take care of it at all other than to make sure it's mechanically sound.

That is brand spankin new. You can see in the picure the remnants of the box it came in. Rest assured...it's dirtier than that now. I pulled my first engine with that lift "tear".

Ground Rat
05-05-2006, 07:55 PM
I got mine from Harbor Freight. It is orange. That is all.

5sp. mini
05-05-2006, 09:22 PM
mines yellow my brother gave it to me . he got it after he finish a job that a guy rip his cust. off but left the hoist. it was to small for him he,s in to 460 fords. but i got a older one that has done it,s job well but this one with the 6 wheels seem to move around better. we all need 2 engine hoist hell i got 6 dodges there is a chance i might use them both at the same time lol AL