PDA

View Full Version : More SDAC 19 Categories

minigts
06-25-2009, 11:10 AM
Barry,

I'd have to say I'm very disappointed in the list of available categories from last year's event and I'm hoping you'll consider some of these I feel would allow everyone at the show to participate and have an opportunity to win. I'm not trying to complain, but please consider some of these below for those of us who struggle daily to either keep our cars running or to make it to shows like SDAC. Also, I think this will encourage more of us to attend shows, regardless of where the shows are held. More could be added, but I think this will really spur SDAC involvement. :)

SDAC Categories

Idling Category

Last to Burn Oil (Starting car from a cold start, 30 second grace period before timer starts. Starting from a hot car, 15 second grace period before timer starts.)
Last to Overheat (Overflow reservoir being filled will determine an overheat. Excessive leaking cooling systems will be disqualified or another category will be created for Least Effective Cooling System)
Last to Shut Off for NO Reason

Electrical Category

Least/Most Gremlins (those claiming 0 may not enter, mainly because they are lying)
Most Grounds Installed (Engine bay only)
Most Splices (Overall)

Engine Problems Category

Most Leaks (A leak is considered per gasket area. Oil pans will counted as 4, based on side seals and front and rear)
Most Helicoils (any and all)
Most Fluid Types Leaked (In the event of a tie, most fluid leaked by volume will determine the winner)
Longest Unresolved Problem (Automatically given to Cordes, unless someone has had a problem from the factory.)
(Special Fluids sub-category)

Nitrous, Water/Alky, Chocolate Syrup

Engine Mods

Most Ghetto (Limited to 100 vehicles)
Most Expensive, Least Effective (Limited to 150 vehicles) (also could be "Money Well Spent" category)
Most Zip Ties (Daisy-chained zip ties count only as one)

slasky
06-25-2009, 12:04 PM
How about most vehicles broken by a single person at an SDAC event; including traveling there and back?

cordes
06-25-2009, 12:37 PM
Why can't daisy chained zip ties count for full value? I have 4-5 of them holding one of my shifter cables on.

minigts
06-25-2009, 12:40 PM
Why can't daisy chained zip ties count for full value? I have 4-5 of them holding one of my shifter cables on.

Brian, we must allow others who don't have the kind of expertise and zip tie experience to have an opportunity to win. Now, we can add a category for Longest Unresolved Problem, which you may win. :)

cordes
06-25-2009, 12:42 PM
Brian, we must allow others who don't have the kind of expertise and zip tie experience to have an opportunity to win. Now, we can add a category for Longest Unresolved Problem, which you may win. :)

I've got that one hands down. IIRC it has been over 2.5 years since I have had normal boost function. :nod:

sdac guy
06-25-2009, 12:59 PM
SDAC Categories

Idling Category

[INDENT][LIST]
Last to Burn Oil (Starting car from a cold start, 30 second grace period before timer starts. Starting from a hot car, 15 second grace period before timer starts.)I thnk my truck may take this one. Bad valve seals make a good puff when starting, and it continues a little bit all the time while idling.

Most Fluid Types Leaked (In the event of a tie, most fluid leaked by volume will determine the winner)
Again, my truck may take the "by volume". It leaves a spot of auto trans fluid about 6" in diameter when parked overnight. If left parked, say for a couple weeks, the spot will be about 2 feet in diameter. Leaking from torque converter seal best I can tell.

How about most vehicles broken by a single person at an SDAC event; including traveling there and back? I can't get in on that one. But how about the car that breaks the soonest at an SDAC event?

Last year my Daytona blew the radiator as I got to the hotel parking lot on Friday about noon. It sat in the lot till I had the time to get it towed home on Wednesday (while others were at the Viper Plant tour).

Barry

"Top Fuel" Bender
06-25-2009, 01:28 PM
was Slasky the one the broke his car then broke the tow vehicle on the way home

How about most tickets?
I know someone that got 2 seperate tickets on one trip home

minigts
06-25-2009, 01:38 PM

How about most tickets?
I know someone that got 2 seperate tickets on one trip home

Well I think we need to try and capture the experience and value of owning a Shelby Dodge. We could add speeding tickets in an Off Beat category or something. I don't think it would fit this list... ;)

cordes
06-25-2009, 02:06 PM
Well I think we need to try and capture the experience and value of owning a Shelby Dodge. We could add speeding tickets in an Off Beat category or something. I don't think it would fit this list... ;)

How about tickets John Candy style in Planes Trains and Automobiles?

slasky
06-25-2009, 02:07 PM

That was sean 1fastcsx289. At least he did not break my charger too when he had to use it for the last 300 miles on the way home last year.

jamesmonty
06-25-2009, 10:24 PM
dont forget-

Most and least amount of factory clearcoat still on car.

And we should start a over/under on how many will be afraid to race their car for fear of not having a ride home.

black86glhs
06-25-2009, 10:48 PM
How about "Can't keep the car running for longer than a month before something reeeeaaaaaalllyyy bad happens.......again" catagory?

Wait.....we would all win this one.:(

Least amount of factory floor pan still in vehicle?

Twisted Noodle
06-25-2009, 11:15 PM
And we should start a over/under on how many will be afraid to race their car for fear of not having a ride home.

I'd be on that one.

How about one for "Mystery oil leak"? I have some sort of oil leak.. I'll be daamned if I know where it is coming from.

Or how about "Most rattle points from a 3" exhaust". Or 3" exhaust "best fit"

OR "Who drove the furthest on the baldest tires" - Street tire only. Separate class for nut jobs who drove on drag radials..

Could also add a category for "Biggest boom" for after the drags

cordes
06-26-2009, 12:20 AM
I'd be on that one.

How about one for "Mystery oil leak"? I have some sort of oil leak.. I'll be daamned if I know where it is coming from.

Or how about "Most rattle points from a 3" exhaust". Or 3" exhaust "best fit"

OR "Who drove the furthest on the baldest tires" - Street tire only. Separate class for nut jobs who drove on drag radials..

Could also add a category for "Biggest boom" for after the drags

Define "street tires". Assuming it is cool enough for me to not feel nauseated and light headed while working on the omni tomorrow, I should have cruise installed and my DOT legal autocross tires in full affect.

BadAssPerformance
06-26-2009, 12:24 AM
Again, my truck may take the "by volume". It leaves a spot of auto trans fluid about 6" in diameter when parked overnight. If left parked, say for a couple weeks, the spot will be about 2 feet in diameter. Leaking from torque converter seal best I can tell.

Might get lucky and it is only the o-ring for the dipstick tube, mine dry-rotted on my white 92.

Make sure its up to level before the trip out :thumb:

Oh wait, this isnt a tech thread... ummm.... do we have a category for cars that need paint?

Twisted Noodle
06-26-2009, 12:33 AM
Define "street tires".

Plain old, run on "your mamma's car" Street tires. Not DOT legal slicks, drag radials, autocross, or mud tires.

There can be a separate category for those. You know, since they don't last as long on the "Street".

cordes
06-26-2009, 12:55 AM
Plain old, run on "your mamma's car" Street tires. Not DOT legal slicks, drag radials, autocross, or mud tires.

There can be a separate category for those. You know, since they don't last as long on the "Street".

I see. Well, I must have at least 15K miles on these things so perhaps I could get an award for that?

bfarroo
06-26-2009, 10:38 AM
"Most Splices (Overall)"

I think my dakota turbo conversion could walk away with this one if I were bringing it. although it would probably place in "Last to Shut Off for NO Reason" or maybe the category could be "First to Shut Off for NO Reason" 88 TII SMEC harness spliced into a 95 NA SBEC harness. I think I ended up with 35-40 spliced wires.

http://www.extremepsi.org/gallery/albums/album11/DSC00120.jpg

minigts
06-26-2009, 01:57 PM
Please let me help you with that....PLEASE.

Companynine
06-26-2009, 03:08 PM

Dude, I'm afraid to drive my Omni across town, for fear of not having a ride home. I drove it to my friend's house 20 miles from me, and broke it twice on the way home! Lost the alternator/water pump belt as soon as I got on the freeway, then had to wait to fix it until the next morning, when three miles from my house, the passenger side axle came apart while getting off the freeway!

I have had the car for a year and a half, driven it all of six times, and broke something every single time!

shadow88
06-27-2009, 05:47 PM
Hilarious idea for some additional awards, Jon :hail:

I bet I'd be serious competition for some ghetto award with me completely half-assed set-up on the shadow. Yet, somehow it works. Enjoy your time there guys.

minigts
06-28-2009, 12:02 AM
:). Thanks man. We are missing all you guys already. Already got the police called on us. :)

Twisted Noodle
06-28-2009, 01:18 AM
01:17 am Someone just did another burnout..in a Lincoln... Maybe another visit from the Po Po?? lol

2.216VTurbo
06-28-2009, 02:29 AM
Hmmm, the cops were here? I didn't see them but some TM.com fan did-obviously:clap:

shadow88
06-28-2009, 08:43 AM
You know I wish I could be there wrecking my tires too. Keep the pictures coming!!

Alan, tell me that's photoshopped!

Twisted Noodle
06-28-2009, 09:52 AM
Yeah Alan.. You wouldn't know anything about burnouts in rentals..Right?

cordes
07-01-2009, 11:33 AM
I owned the road rally puking contest!

2.216VTurbo
07-01-2009, 04:57 PM
I owned the road rally puking contest!

And the LOOK REALLY GAY while standing there in your underwear??? contest... Meh, at least it's not the first pic of you on this list standing in your underwear Brian:yuck: Don't try to explain, really:p

minigts
07-01-2009, 04:59 PM
You know I wish I could be there wrecking my tires too. Keep the pictures coming!!

Alan, tell me that's photoshopped!

Oh it's the real deal. Guess even though they were trying to shut us down, they still support the community. :)

black86glhs
07-01-2009, 11:00 PM
And the LOOK REALLY GAY while standing there in your underwear??? contest... Meh, at least it's not the first pic of you on this list standing in your underwear Brian:yuck: Don't try to explain, really:pOh holy hell Alan!!!!!
A little heads up....er.....warning next time.:yuck:

cordes
07-01-2009, 11:04 PM
And the LOOK REALLY GAY while standing there in your underwear??? contest... Meh, at least it's not the first pic of you on this list standing in your underwear Brian:yuck: Don't try to explain, really:p

I won't explain so long as you don't try to explain why the camera was zoomed in on my crotch when you showed me the pic to tell me how good it was. :confused:

cordes
07-01-2009, 11:10 PM
I just noticed my new avatar, and it is hilarious.

BadAssPerformance
07-01-2009, 11:13 PM
Yes it is :D

jckrieger
07-01-2009, 11:37 PM
I think we need a category for "most time repairing car in hotel parking lot". Both Larry and myself spent about 2 days working on our cars, so it would have been a good competition. The decision would have to be based on whether you were standing around drinking, under the car working, or under the car drinking most of the time.

cordes
07-01-2009, 11:38 PM
I think we need a category for "most time repairing car in hotel parking lot". Both Larry and myself spent about 2 days working on our cars, so it would have been a good competition. The decision would have to be based on whether you were standing around drinking, under the car working, or under the car drinking most of the time.

That's a good point. I don't think we could go by book time alone on this one.

Twisted Noodle
07-01-2009, 11:49 PM

Hmmmm

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv181/TwistedNoodle_1/SDAC-19/SDC10294.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv181/TwistedNoodle_1/SDAC-19/SDC10295.jpg

Clark I think you were reaching for your beer in the second photo

86Shelby
07-02-2009, 05:12 AM
Looks like Dave and Bill made excellent supervisors overseeing the work Clark was doing!

I think Adam's garnet/silver SC is in the running for one of the electrical gremlin categories.

sdac guy
07-02-2009, 07:00 AM
I owned the road rally puking contest!Sorry Brian, I think you came in second. Another navigator stopped to puke 5 times.

See folks, why pay to go to King's Island or somewhere else to get a ride to make you sick. Our rally was FREE and two people got sick. :hail:

Barry

minigts
07-02-2009, 08:26 AM
Sorry Brian, I think you came in second. Another navigator stopped to puke 5 times.

See folks, why pay to go to King's Island or somewhere else to get a ride to make you sick. Our rally was FREE and two people got sick. :hail:

Barry

Well now I don't feel so bad, although I do feel somewhat responsible. :) I pushed to go on after the first time thinking it would be better, but it only got worse. :eek:

glhs231
07-02-2009, 09:44 AM

I made it 750 miles back to Nebraska with my shift linkage zip tied together. The car ran and shifted great. 31 MPG @ 70. Shifts were nice and firm. Maybe they should come from the factory that way! Oh well it lasted 23 years before giving up. I may have to look up your heim hybrid joint conversion. Nice meeting you. Steve.

minigts
07-02-2009, 10:23 AM
I made it 750 miles back to Nebraska with my shift linkage zip tied together. The car ran and shifted great. 31 MPG @ 70. Shifts were nice and firm. Maybe they should come from the factory that way! Oh well it lasted 23 years before giving up. I may have to look up your heim hybrid joint conversion. Nice meeting you. Steve.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17264

There are two write ups. If you want to keep things factory close, I'd go with the one written up towards the end (don't remember who) that will allow you to use the factory ball ends on the lever arms. Great find on those quick release connectors that fit onto the factory ball ends!

cordes
07-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Wow, I don't feel nearly as bad about puking now that I know there was someone else who puked 5 times.

Clay
07-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Sorry Brian, I think you came in second. Another navigator stopped to puke 5 times.

Barry

and then there were other people who puked and never even got in a car...... or left the parking lot!! :lol:

sdac guy
07-02-2009, 06:59 PM
Wow, I don't feel nearly as bad about puking now that I know there was someone else who puked 5 times.When we used to do the charity rides on the road course tracks, it wasn't at all unusual for folks to get nauseous, I don't recall anyone puking, but a lot of them were green when they got out of the cars. Riding along in a car going every which way is a lot harder to get accustomed to when not driving (for some folks). And when you are reading directions and have no sense of what is causing the jostling can be much worse.

Barry