PDA

View Full Version : 5.2 Late model turbo

jfallon83
06-24-2009, 08:56 PM
Hey to everyone.
I'm new to the forum and also relatively new to the turbo world. I have a 2001 Dodge 1500 4x4 with the 5.2 (318) magnum. I just rebuilt a 5.9 (360) Magnum from a 99 ram and was about to swap the engines for more power when I ran into an opportunity. My uncle gave me a Holset HX35W off a 2001 ram 3500 5.9 cummins. I was thinking about strapping it to the 318 since I'm swapping it anyways and don't care if I accidentally blow it sky high, and who knows if it works really well, I might end up strapping it to the 360 when I swap it and get it broke in. I can fabricate all the tubing required as I have made a turbo setup for an 2nd gen Camaro for a friend, but have no idea what would be involved on the electronics side. Has anyone ever done this, know of an existing thread covering something like this, or just have a good idea of what would be involved to make the motor run correctly from the computer's side.

Thanks for the help.

jfallon83
"The more you know, the faster you go"

jfallon83
06-24-2009, 09:01 PM
I forgot to mention that I'm trying to do this on the cheap, so any money saving tips or shortcuts would be appreciated.

Aries_Turbo
06-24-2009, 10:32 PM
you will need fuel system mods... at the very least, a rising rate regulator, to up the fuel pressure under boost. maybe a fuel pump too.

being able to control timing would be nice unless you always run good gas and keep the boost low and/or spray some alky in there to help cool things down.

you should run an intercooler too.

can SCT tune this? ask "sebringLX" on here if thats possible but i dunno.

if the ecu cant be tuned, look up ondonti. he has had some decent results doing the mechanical style fuel tuning.

Brian

jfallon83
06-25-2009, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the info. I have already picked up an old cartech rising rate regulator off eBay, and have been looking into the fuel pumps. The stocker pushes about 40 gph, and the one I'm looking at is around 120. Does anyone have any opinions on whether or not that is enough or is it too much? Another friend of mine said I was probably going to have to get bigger injectors as well.

I have been planning on running about 6 psi, and was debating on whether or not to go with an intercooler, but it seems everyone I talk to seems to recommend it so I'm thinking that's the way to go. Does anybody have any good recommendations on intercoolers, or are they all about the same?

I looked into the SCT tuner and they do make one for my truck, but I'm not sure it can do everything I need it to do. I'm still trying to get more info on that. I have no experience tuning, so I may have to see how much it would be just to take it someplace unless I can find someone around here to help me with that.

Vigo
06-25-2009, 12:55 PM
The most complicated part on those is the returnless fuel system. You'll have to take out and modify the stock fuel pump assembly to incorporate a boost-referenced regulator into it, or run a return line all the way down the truck and put the regulator somewhere where you can actually get to it.

I just took one of those assemblies apart (with a hammer) to scrounge a pump and it is definitely an annoyance compared to the old return systems with the regulator on the rail and an easily upgraded pump assembly.

shaker223
06-25-2009, 01:04 PM
Duner on turbomustangs.com has turbo chraged late model FI mopar trucks. He's the guy to ask. Check out the mopar section.

turbodaytona87
06-26-2009, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the info. I have already picked up an old cartech rising rate regulator off eBay, and have been looking into the fuel pumps. The stocker pushes about 40 gph, and the one I'm looking at is around 120. Does anyone have any opinions on whether or not that is enough or is it too much? Another friend of mine said I was probably going to have to get bigger injectors as well.

I have been planning on running about 6 psi, and was debating on whether or not to go with an intercooler, but it seems everyone I talk to seems to recommend it so I'm thinking that's the way to go. Does anybody have any good recommendations on intercoolers, or are they all about the same?

I looked into the SCT tuner and they do make one for my truck, but I'm not sure it can do everything I need it to do. I'm still trying to get more info on that. I have no experience tuning, so I may have to see how much it would be just to take it someplace unless I can find someone around here to help me with that.

I have a thread on Dodgetalk.com about twin turboing a 318. I am going with forged internals and Megasquirt, but we calculated I would need a 190lph pump for 500hp so 120gph should be plenty

Aries_Turbo
06-26-2009, 10:21 AM
go with a 255 lph pump though.

Brian

Mopar318
06-26-2009, 11:06 AM
I had a supercharged 318 dakota, then a turbo charged dakota.

You dont need to do anything with the factory pump. For a simple, working method..Just run a inline booster pump. Feed that to a FMU made for a return system, and bleed the return back into the line before the booster pump. Here is a diagram I drew that replicates the system I made. I was running over 450 hp with this setup, and hes 5/16" fuel line will feed that much power when your running 100 psi fuel pressure. You will need to upgrade to some FMS 24# injectors. The stock ones wont take the beating.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d48/Mopar318/fuelsystem.jpg

SebringLX
06-26-2009, 01:37 PM
can SCT tune this? ask "sebringLX" on here if thats possible but i dunno.

Yes it can. :thumb:

I could tune it for you. The JTEC PCM in the 2001 is actually pretty easy to work with. You would need at minimum a wideband with datalogging capabilities for me to write tunes for you remotely. It will do everything you need... fuel, timing, etc... pretty much complete control of the PCM.

Since you've been posting over on Dodgetalk (I got everybody started with the SCT Tuning over there back in 2007 as a sponsor of that site), I'm sure someone has probably pointed you towards Marty or Sean at KRC Performance. They'll charge a lot more, but being in GA, you're probably only ~6 hours from their shop in FL... could take it down there for a good dyno tune.