PDA

View Full Version : Source for stainless exhaust system

135sohc
06-24-2009, 03:41 PM
I need to replace the catalytic converter on the shadow. But since its all rusted together and the muffler isnt too far behind it. I'd rather just replace it all with new.
None of the local parts stores list anything other than stock replacement stuff. and online is the same.

This is not a turbo car so the vendors arnt really much help. Is there a company online that makes an entirely stainless system that can be clamped together ?

TopDollar69
06-24-2009, 06:09 PM
Why not use a turbo system and have the down pipe modified for use with the style of NA manifold of header you have? I know the FM system is a clamp together setup.

turbovanmanČ
06-25-2009, 04:03 AM
What he said or buy stainless pipes and have it welded up.

jory
07-02-2009, 03:45 AM
A friend of mine works for a manufacturing company and bent some beautiful 2.5" stainless pipes for his Daytona. all mandrel bends and the pipe is free because they dont use too much of it. He's doing one for me soon, I can't wait.

momoglhs0007
03-15-2010, 08:49 PM
Source design is air-bender by momoglhs0007 1991 date fab april 16 diverter is missing from this virsion negitive presure can not be achieved with out it; only free flow ,and sound reduction... as crossventulation occurs threw the holes in the mesh screen and ulters air turblances threw it thermal vareance of exaust gasses passing threw the muffler are not accounted for, in this version. So as to avoid any copy right infractions with the original ,and lower the cost,weight,and also materals required for production.......runs "truth when you look not all things are as they seem!":When you flush either.

zin
03-15-2010, 09:03 PM
Source design is air-bender by momoglhs0007 1991 date fab April 16 diverter is missing from this version negative pressure can not be achieved with out it; only free flow ,and sound reduction... as cross ventilation occurs threw the holes in the mesh screen and alters air turbulence threw it thermal variance of exhaust gasses passing threw the muffler are not accounted for, in this version. So as to avoid any copy right infractions with the original ,and lower the cost,weight,and also materials required for production.......runs "truth when you look not all things are as they seem!":When you flush either.

1. I'm pretty sure this is a post meant for another thread, or someone needs to lay off the cough syrup!!;)

2. Spell check is your friend, as is Firefox which has it built-in.... Just sayin.:D

Mike

Dusty_Duster
03-17-2010, 10:07 AM
Source design is air-bender by momoglhs0007 1991 date fab april 16 diverter is missing from this virsion negitive presure can not be achieved with out it; only free flow ,and sound reduction... as crossventulation occurs threw the holes in the mesh screen and ulters air turblances threw it thermal vareance of exaust gasses passing threw the muffler are not accounted for, in this version. So as to avoid any copy right infractions with the original ,and lower the cost,weight,and also materals required for production.......runs "truth when you look not all things are as they seem!":When you flush either.

Is that even English? :confused:

Mopar318
03-17-2010, 10:18 AM
What what does that paragraph decode to triple 0 seven?

Nemesismachine
03-17-2010, 12:14 PM
When you flush either.

badandy
03-17-2010, 09:35 PM

Damnit!...I know my secret decoder ring is around here somewhere!

Big_P
03-20-2010, 04:50 PM
http://board.muse.mu/wikiroot/images/7/75/Grammar_Nazi_Logo.jpg

135sohc
03-20-2010, 05:48 PM
Yeah anyways on this incase anyone was wondering (which I dont think anyone did :thumb:) I ended up just getting a walker stock replacement setup from advance. nice and rusty already :love:

capev86
06-06-2010, 12:48 AM
if you don't have a turbo, stick to 2" diameter pipe or you're big 2.2 or 2.5 will feel like a honda....no low end grunt. just get some stainless pipe and find a local muffler shop that can bend it for you.

tryingbe
06-07-2010, 10:06 AM
Why not aluminized steel?

contraption22
06-07-2010, 11:42 AM
Why not aluminized steel?

Because it will not last as long.

thedon809
06-07-2010, 01:57 PM
if you don't have a turbo, stick to 2" diameter pipe or you're big 2.2 or 2.5 will feel like a honda....no low end grunt. just get some stainless pipe and find a local muffler shop that can bend it for you.My neon is 2 1/4 stock... For a n/a car I wouldn't go over 2.5" pipe.

turbovanmanČ
06-07-2010, 02:34 PM
my neon is 2 1/4 stock... For a n/a car i wouldn't go over 2.5" pipe.

+2...

GLHNSLHT2
06-07-2010, 08:55 PM
I guess it depends. Mudstains like dual 3" pipe.

turbovanmanČ
06-07-2010, 08:57 PM
I guess it depends. Mudstains like dual 3" pipe.

But you lose alot of bottom end grunt.

135sohc
06-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Because it will not last as long.

Exactly. OEM exhaust is for the most part mild steel but they seem to use a thicker and/or higher grade of steel that lasts far longer than aftermarket parts.

But I am happy to say
This last winter was the last one the car will ever be seeing anymore... :amen:

Mopar318
06-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Exactly. OEM exhaust is for the most part mild steel but they seem to use a thicker and/or higher grade of steel that lasts far longer than aftermarket parts.

But I am happy to say

most OEM stuff is actually 409 stainless.

turbovanmanČ
06-08-2010, 08:25 PM

But I am happy to say

They do now, years ago, they used cheap crap that wouldn't last, now it seems everything comes with stainless.

135sohc
06-08-2010, 08:59 PM
They do now, years ago, they used cheap crap that wouldn't last, now it seems everything comes with stainless.

Everyone but chrysler then :lol:

both our 02 Ram and 03 Concorde have regular steel exhaust systems. Unless stainless steel is supposed to rust and look like regular steel now.

Other than the dead converter and muffler I had no problems with durability on the original factory exhaust on the shadow.

Mopar318
06-10-2010, 06:56 AM
Everyone but chrysler then :lol:

both our 02 Ram and 03 Concorde have regular steel exhaust systems. Unless stainless steel is supposed to rust and look like regular steel now.

Other than the dead converter and muffler I had no problems with durability on the original factory exhaust on the shadow.

Yes, stainless used in exhaust systems will tarnish. Its 4000 series stainless.

thedon809
06-10-2010, 03:37 PM
I guess it depends. Mudstains like dual 3" pipe.They can afford to lose a little low end though.

135sohc
06-10-2010, 11:56 PM
Yes, stainless used in exhaust systems will tarnish. Its 4000 series stainless.

Not to argue but I will let the picture do the talking.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/135SoHc/th_shadowinterior_exterior973.jpg (http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/135SoHc/?action=view&current=shadowinterior_exterior973.jpg)

Daimler cost cutting at its finest...