PDA

View Full Version : head q

t3rse
04-28-2006, 04:59 PM
i'm currently porting a head...swirl. there is a small groove that i can feel on one of the cam towers, but the cam is silky smooth. is this head ok? second, with porting, is a g head still gonna flow better unless i go wild? i have a g but i had never looked at it until today and it seems to be a better design...

i don't want to put a lot of time or money into it as i've started collecting parts for a 16v setup.

cordes
04-28-2006, 05:09 PM
If the grove is in the cam journal and you can't feel it, I would not worry about it too much. I know my roomates car has a head that is relativly scored looking there and it has not caused him a problem yet.

Head choice varies from person to person. If you are going to be porting it, I would say that you could do either one, and they would flow about the same. The G-head will need a bit more timing compared to the swirl due to the lower static comp that you will get with it.

t3rse
04-28-2006, 06:54 PM
i can feel it, but it doesn't seem too deep. it came off of a running car...

89acclaim
04-28-2006, 07:50 PM
If it really bothers you can get it align bored and put in bearings, makes the cam very easy to rotate.:thumb: Most of the 2.2/2.5 heads that I have seen have some degree of grooves.

Daniel Merrill

t3rse
04-29-2006, 01:14 PM
if this is common, then f it. i don't want, nor have the money to deal with any serious machine work. i don't care that much about this head.

mpgmike
05-07-2006, 11:19 PM
Don't worry about a small groove. I usually Scotchbrite over them to clean off any ridge. As for the heads, I prefer the 782 over the G due to the better combustion efficiency. If you're going 16v soon, it shouldn't really matter which one you use just to get on the road.

Mike